Author Topic: Jabez SINGLE, b Eaton Socon abt 1805  (Read 4199 times)

Offline david_f

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jabez SINGLE, b Eaton Socon abt 1805
« Reply #9 on: Monday 21 November 11 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Steep learning curve, but I'm getting there!

Thanks again

David
Norfolk/London: Farman, Firman, Graves, Grave, Greaves
Somerset/London: Fussell
Bedfordshire/London: Single

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 21 November 11 10:42 GMT (UK) »
This is not a straightforward family! Where the children weren't baptised and where they were born too early to appear together as a family in censuses, it's always going to be a struggle, and in the end will come down to the balance of probabilities.

Which one of the children do you descend from? I can only find a baptism for Ann in 1829.

The other problem of course is that William died before censuses, so we really know nothing about him other than Martha Single was a witness when he married. Not a lot to go on!

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline david_f

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 21 November 11 11:09 GMT (UK) »
If you think the Singles un-straightforward, you should meet my Norfolk ancestors, the Farmans and the Graves. My great-grandmother, Martha Farman, appears never to have married, but to have produced 7 children to who knows how many fathers, the first four being born in a workhouse; meanwhile, the Graves appear to have constituted the greater part of the population of three adjacent small hamlets, and had a fondness for a very limited range of given names - nightmare!

Back to the Singles: I believe that my grandfather, Charles Hosgood Single (1887-1969), was the son of William Single (b 1861), the grandson of John Single (1826-1864) and the great-grandson of the aforementioned William Single and Susannah Weston/Preston.

David

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 21 November 11 11:20 GMT (UK) »
I've found three more baptisms of children of William and Susannah, at Stepney St Dunstan
Thomas 5 May 1822, born 17 Apr 1822, bricklayer of Mile End Old Town
Eliza 29 Feb 1824, born 27 Nov 1823, bricklayer of Mile End Old Town
John 15 Apr 1826, bricklayer of Mile End Old Town

That seems to establish that Jabez isn't in your direct line.

David

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 21 November 11 13:49 GMT (UK) »
I can see

Charles Single born 30 Mar 1888 baptised 2 Jun 1893 at St Olave Hanbury St, Mile End New Town, son of William and Ann of 8 Little Halifax St, tobacco cutter. BUT the birth registration of Charles Hosgood Single was in the Dec quarter 1887. Do you have the birth certificate?
son of
William Single and Annie Driscoll who married at Bethnal Green St Thomas on 22 Dec 1878 - William's father: John Single cigar maker. William son of John dec'd and Eliza Caroline baptised at Christ Church, Spitalfields on 31 Mar 1867, born 28 Feb 1861, of 8 John St, cigar maker.
son of
John Single cigar maker of full age, and Eliza Caroline Norris who married at Shoreditch St Leonard on 27 Oct 1844
John Single son of William Single and Susannah Preston baptised at Stepney St Dunstan on 15 Apr 1826.

And now the BUT! On his marriage to Eliza Caroline Norris, John named his father as James Single, bricklayer. Not William. Not even Jabez. James! In 1841 in the household of Jabez Single was John Single 15 (ie actual age 15-19) cigar maker apprentice. So there doesn't seem to be much doubt that this is the correct John, although he can't have been of full age in Oct 1844 - in 1851 he was 24, in 1861 34. With a sister having been born in Nov 1823 he's unlikely to have been born before Nov 1824 at the earliest. I assume that this is why you thought Susannah's first husband was James Single.

Do I think this changes anything? Not really, although I'm surprised that John didn't seem to know his own father's name, even though he'd been dead for some years

David

Offline david_f

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 21 November 11 14:25 GMT (UK) »
Yes, that's where the name James came from, but I have been able to find no other reference to anyone of that name.  Clearly more work required here!

I do not (yet) have a birth certificate for my maternal grandfather, Charles Hosgood Single, and had not noticed the marginal annotation in the baptismal register giving his birth date as 30 March 1888: I was simply going by the birth registration quarter of 4Q 1887. I am pretty sure I have the correct Charles Single, however, as I think I have found the source of the unusual middle name: his aunt Eliza married an Osgood, and the cockney 'h' is frequently superfluous or discarded!

Regards

David

Offline genealogica

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 16 May 13 09:40 BST (UK) »
I have for many years researched the genealogy of the Single family but unfortunately my branch of the family originates from Somerset. However, because of the rarity of the surname I have tracked other branches of the family where I have come across them and Jabez plus the other London Singles have crossed my radar.

I think I may have the answer to William/Jabez/Susannah and their relationship albeit from a slightly unusual source! Have a look at www.oldbaileyonline.org, go to 'Search Pages' in the middle and enter Single in the surname box. It transpires that William was convicted of stealing a window sash on 1st December 1831 and sentenced to 7 years transportation (harsh!). Go to www.convictrecords.com.au, search for William Single and the following information appears. He left England for Van Diemens Land aboard the Jupiter on 31st December 1832 arriving there on 31st August 1833. More importantly the website states he was 35 years old, married with 5 children and that he died on 2nd March 1837.

Back to Jabez and Susannah. I would say there is a very strong likelihood they were brothers. When William was transported Susannah would have had no financial support and may well have resorted to living with Jabez. With this scenario in mind the likelihood of Jabez junior (baptised @1834) and Samuel (baptised @1836) being the illegitimate children of Jabez and Susannah is very high. Furthermore, given that William died in March 1837 and allowing for a message to be sent to the UK advising Susannah of his death she was then free to marry again which she did to Jabez on 13 August 1838.

Still need to try and find the missing baptisms of all the Eaton Socon family of William and Ann but I am sure when they are found it will confirm the absent pieces of the jigsaw.

Regards

Richard Nichols   

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 16 May 13 13:09 BST (UK) »
Excellent sleuthing Richard! That explains a lot. Unless the baptisms are found, which is probably unlikely, it remains to be seen if Jabez and William were brothers. Marrying your deceased spouse's sibling was forbidden at that time, although that didn't stop a lot of people doing it, as Jabez proved a few years later when he married Susannah's sister.

David

Offline genealogica

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 16 May 13 13:44 BST (UK) »
Glad to be of help David. Did you by any chance notice on the Old Bailey website that Jabez also appears in a different trial - but this time as a witness.

Richard