Author Topic: RIC assistance please  (Read 4106 times)

Offline eilidh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
RIC assistance please
« on: Sunday 20 November 11 21:05 GMT (UK) »
hi

Hoping someone with a copy of the following book would be kind enough to see if two of my ancestors are listed.

The records are indexed by J Herlihy, The Royal Irish Constabulary. A Complete Alphabetical List of Officers and men, 1816-1922 (Dublin, Four Courts Press, 1999). 

Walter Stewart KING listed as a sub constable on his marriage certificate 1848 Kenmare Kerry

Thomas KING listed as policeman on his son's Church Baptism Record 1828  Parish / District Kells,  County Meath.

Many thanks
CATER, Braintree, Colchester & Leek
CHIVAS, Fraserburgh Scotland, Canada, USA
DIGBY, Braintree, Colchester, Essex
DONALDSON, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Canada, USA
McKIE, Kirkudbright,Wigton, Whithorn
PICKERING, Leek, Staffordshire
SHALLCROSS, Leek, Staffordshire
STONEHEWER, Leek, Staffordshire
TIDESWELL, Leek, Staffordshire
VERNON, Leek, Staffordshire
WALKER, Holywood

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
Re: RIC assistance please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 November 11 18:13 GMT (UK) »
I was in the library today, and had a hurried look - maybe someone else will do better!

I only found only one KING, Walter .. no 71529 .. this number implies, I think, that he joined up around 1920ish, so much too late for your fellow.
I'd expect your man to have joined in 1841 or so (7 years before marriage), so his number should be between 4000 and 6000 approx.

I didn't see any STEWART, Walter
or STEWART KING, Walter

eadaoin
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Offline eilidh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 November 11 20:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello Eadaoin

Sorry you couldnt find anything, but many thanks for taking the time to have a look for me.

A wee bit more info on these two men......

Walter Stewart KING was born abt 1825. On his Australian death certificate it stated he was born in Meath.  He was married in Kenmare Kerry in 1848, age listed as "full" profession sub constable.  However I would have thought he would have had a higher rank if he had been in the force for 7 years.  I am thinking that he may have decided to marry before the 7 year requirement, and left the force, as he is listed as farmer on his child's baptism record in 1849.

The only information I have on Thomas KING is that he is listed as a policeman on his son's baptismal
record in 1828 at Co. Meath. So his number would definitely be low  :-\  .  I am asssuming that Thomas KING dob would be 1800c, however I do not know where he was born.

bye E
CATER, Braintree, Colchester & Leek
CHIVAS, Fraserburgh Scotland, Canada, USA
DIGBY, Braintree, Colchester, Essex
DONALDSON, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Canada, USA
McKIE, Kirkudbright,Wigton, Whithorn
PICKERING, Leek, Staffordshire
SHALLCROSS, Leek, Staffordshire
STONEHEWER, Leek, Staffordshire
TIDESWELL, Leek, Staffordshire
VERNON, Leek, Staffordshire
WALKER, Holywood

Offline HappyIrishlad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 March 15 01:10 GMT (UK) »
I have the book and I looked for your relative, but did not find Walter King.  Don't be shocked because my cousin Thomas Crawley isn't in it either.  I think he published too fast and left out a lot of people!  I paid a pretty penny for that book too!

Offline Geoff Bates

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 September 22 09:15 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I'm new to the forum. I'm a descendent of Agnes Hill (born King) daughter of Sgt Major Thomas King of the Royal Meath Militia, and sister of Walter Stewart King. I have a copy of Thomas King's war records which I found in the UK National Archives. Am I allowed to attach docs? I also found a birth record for Agnes and Walter which i found on rootschat. Thomas married Francis Isabella Stewart (not sure exactly when) daughter of Rev Walter Stewart and Agnes Orpen. Maybe some of this you are already familiar with, but if not let me know and I will attach.
Geoff

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 September 22 16:14 BST (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat, Geoff  :)

With your second post, you will be able to attach images and documents using the 'Attachments and other options' link.

Just for others reading, here's the link to the 1848 marriage mentioned in the original post.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1848/09350/5385814.pdf

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 September 22 11:51 BST (UK) »
He was married in Kenmare Kerry in 1848, age listed as "full" profession sub constable.  However I would have thought he would have had a higher rank if he had been in the force for 7 years.  I am thinking that he may have decided to marry before the 7 year requirement, and left the force, as he is listed as farmer on his child's baptism record in 1849.

Post dates from 2011, but as the thread has been revived, two points:
- Irish Constabulary ranks did not correspond to modern police ranks. Sub-constable equated to present day (British) constable.
- These chaps did not serve in the RIC. but the Irish Constabulary.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 05 October 22 09:13 BST (UK) »
The ranks were also re-organised in 1883 or so, doing away with the Sub Constable ranks.
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344