Author Topic: Bishop Murdock McKenzie of Kirkwall  (Read 5419 times)

Offline timaussie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bishop Murdock McKenzie of Kirkwall
« on: Monday 21 November 11 00:14 GMT (UK) »
I have discovered that I am a distant ancestor to Murdock McKenzie, the  Bishop of Orkney (from 1677 to his death in 1688) via his daughter Jane who married in 1678 John Kennedy.
Some on-line information suggests he was interned in the "counsel house" or "south transept chapel" of St Magnus Cathedal, Kirkwall.

Could someone ,possibly living in Kirkwall , please confirm location and if there is any transcribed record of him there. If exist a photo would be the ultimate.

A big ask but maybe I will be lucky,
Thanks, Tim
LUCAS-Hampshire, GREENER-Hampshire/Berkshire, COOPER-Middlesex, TAYLOR-Surrey, MORGAN-Llanedy, CLEMENT-Landilotalybont & Llandebie, JONES-Llandebie, LEWIS-Llanegwed-Carm/Morriston-Glam/Cwmavon-Glam, HODGSON-Staffordshire

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
Re: Bishop Murdock McKenzie of Kirkwall
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 March 12 17:14 GMT (UK) »
http://www.archive.org/stream/kirkwallinorkne00hossgoog#page/n11/mode/1up

you will find information about the cathedral on page 30, also some interesting reading
Dumfriesshire: Bell, Kerr, Dickson, Hetherington
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott
Cumberland: Charlton, Young

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 March 12 09:32 BST (UK) »
there is some info on your bishop on page 85 i think
Dumfriesshire: Bell, Kerr, Dickson, Hetherington
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott
Cumberland: Charlton, Young

Offline timaussie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 April 12 08:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that reference AKC. Some good info particularly on p85-87
LUCAS-Hampshire, GREENER-Hampshire/Berkshire, COOPER-Middlesex, TAYLOR-Surrey, MORGAN-Llanedy, CLEMENT-Landilotalybont & Llandebie, JONES-Llandebie, LEWIS-Llanegwed-Carm/Morriston-Glam/Cwmavon-Glam, HODGSON-Staffordshire

Offline pscot

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 October 12 17:53 BST (UK) »
I am also a descendent of the Bishop via a daughter. I found his memorial in St Magnus Cathedral in the office.. half way down on the right...formerly session house.  I took photographs. It is in the form of a carved oak cupboard with his initials and arms. There is also a well known portrait of him painted by George Jamesone one of the best known early portrait painters in Scotland. It is said to be on loan to the Tankerness House museum in Kirkwall.