Author Topic: Possible Tailor Business  (Read 4270 times)

Offline andrewp91

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Possible Tailor Business
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 26 November 11 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank you bot for the suggestions. I will do the advice you have given me and hopefully I can strike it lucky. I really appreciate both help from you! Much Apericated. Andrew

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 26 November 11 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Post on here how you get on, Andrew. It makes our efforts feel worthwhile to know what outcome there is.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 26 November 11 22:07 GMT (UK) »
And Trevor, it pays never to type without the light on when you have a black keyboard.
 ;D

Darren

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline andrewp91

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 26 November 11 23:06 GMT (UK) »
I tried the google search but found nothing with William t Sedgwick 1842. There wa a few pictures but none that said William t Sedgwick on. I tried taking the T out and the 1842 and more came up but none that was fitted. With the site that was suggested I did not have any look. I could only see the maps of the Birmingham area. I struggling to find individual people search or business search. Do you think that there is any other way I could find out to see pictures?  Thank you for the advice you have given me still. Andrew

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 26 November 11 23:20 GMT (UK) »
As I said above, finding old photo's can be hit and miss. Another option to explore is to contact any relevant family history, or local history groups or societies, or even local archives and libraries. They might hold old photo's, especially of businesses.
I don't know if you tried the historical directories site yet, but I did a quick search and found Benjamin Sedgwick listed as a tailor in 78 Bromsgrove St Birmingham in Pigot's Directory of 1828-29, the volume that includes Warwickshire.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 26 November 11 23:31 GMT (UK) »
White's Directory of Birmingham 1849 has William Sedgwick, tailor and draper in Ryland Rd.
PO Directory for Birmingham, Staffordshire & Worcester 1850 has William Sedgwick , tailor, at 12 Ryland Rd. Edgbaston.

Offline andrewp91

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 27 November 11 08:31 GMT (UK) »
I have used that site yet (would you be able to give me the website please)?

Thank you having a look up for me and I very very sure that the one you found in Edgbaston is the one as I just searched the road and it is right next to where they use to live on Bath Row and which is also right next too Great Colmore Street. I am very sure these would be the same people I am trying to find! Great to know that. So does this mean that they did have a business there?

The weird thing about this all is that all the sedgwicks come from my one nan side (about 4 or 5 great granddads side down the line) and my nan on the other side use to live on cregoe street untill recently (which is between both Bath Row and Great Colmore Street!)! Its the road off it! Amazing how life works!

So does this mean he did have a business then?

So to try and find any pictures I will have to go into the birmigham library to see any? Do you need a library card to use there? I never been to it before. Thank you very much for your help in finding this!!

Does it give you the name of what the building was called?

Much appreciated
Andrew

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 27 November 11 09:22 GMT (UK) »
I have used that site yet (would you be able to give me the website please)?
Andrew

Try http://www.historicaldirectories.org/hd/ Historical Directories is a digital library of local and trade directories for England and Wales, from 1750 to 1919

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 27 November 11 09:30 GMT (UK) »
To answer your questions in order:
There are several ways of searching. I have found the easiest way is to search by keyword. Then you can type in the surname you are researching. You can also narrow down the search by county or decade.
It is hard to say whether they had an actual shop or not. I would tend to think so, by advertising in these directories. One thing you must remember is that just because they are not in the directories, does not mean they weren't still in business. To put your name into the directories was an added cost.
I can't answer about the Birmingham library; but don't rule out local history and family history groups, or even the nearest archives. Any of them could hold photos.
Try a google search for "photos of old Birmingham"; I came up with a lot of hits. You might get lucky that way.
And no, it doesn't give the name of the building, judt the address.

And thanks Stan, I was still typing when you posted; I edited before I posted it.  :)