Author Topic: Edward Rainsford Esq Kilkenny Ireland 1700s  (Read 20361 times)

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Levington House, Mullingar
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Rainsford Esq Kilkenny Ireland 1700s
« Reply #9 on: Monday 21 November 11 23:12 GMT (UK) »
National Library has a copy of the book, it has a Chapter called the Rainfords of Ireland. - this is where I found Edwards will, and the Ball connection. Might be worth trying that first.

The Rainsford family /
with sidelights on Shakespeare, Southampton, Hall and Hart, embracing 1000 years of the Rainsford family and their successive partakings in the main lines of national life.
Main Author:   Buckland, Emily A.

Published:    Worcester : Philips & Probert, ltd., The Caxton press, [1932].
Physical description: 9-337 p : ill., ports., facsims. ; 22 cm.
I'm sure you will enjoy all 400 pages  :)
PM

Call Number   View in   Collection
7A 1209    Main Reading Room    Books

Offline genesearch1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 21 November 11 23:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pastmagic

Will do and find out more from it !

Again thank you sooo much. You have been astounding help !!

Kind Regards

Genesearch1

Offline genesearch1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 22 November 11 22:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pastmagic,

I went to National library in Kildare St and got a copy of the Emily Buckland book.

The Will of Edward Rainsford Esq 1743 did not mention a son John. Just what you sent yesterday.

However I did get a picture of Sir Mark Rainsford the Mayor of Dublin and Francis Rainsford the daughter of Edward from this book.

I also photocopied out a few pages from 'The Rainsford's in Ireland'.

Somehow I have to find a link to John Rainsford born 1736 to Jonathan or John Rainsford in Clashduff Kilkenny.

This is proving difficult. Any suggestions ??

Kind Regards
Genesearch1

Offline genesearch1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 30 November 11 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pastmagic,

just an update on the John Ransford Record.

As you see from below not much has changed, and the record does seem to be damaged.

Dear Mr. Rainsford. The St. Mary Kilkenny record for that period is very fragile and is not usable . However because you had a specific date the Archivist has looked at the records and we did find an entry on that date for a baptism of a John Ransford son of Edward Ransford Esq. and his wife Margaret.
The Odagh records baptism 1825-1878, marriages 1827-1869 and burials 1824-1869 were all destroyed in the fire in 1922 and we don’t have anything for the dates you are looking for Regards

RCB Library
Breamor Park
Churchtown
Dublin 14

However today in the Registry of Deeds I found a Joseph Michael Rainsford in 1791 and 1792.

The Deed says on 30 - Aug - 1791 a Joseph Michael Rainsford City of Dublin GENT and one ' Broderick' City of Dublin  sold lands in Kilkenny. Deed says "All the Land lying and being in the County of Kilkenny.

Plantation Acres are --   Sandfordscourt -    271 Plantation  Acres
                                      Carigeen           -    380
                                      Coolbricken       -        7                   Acres
                                      Tullaroan             -     38                  Acres

A google maps search shows Sandfordscourt, Carigeen  and Coolbricken approx 5 miles NE of Kilkenny City.
Tullaroan is approx 4 miles East of Kilkenny City.

Other Names on Deed are - 
On First Part - Joseph Michael Rainsford Gent City of Dublin
                     - Rev John Broderick
                     - Rev Lawrence Brook ..( I thinks says Doctor ) - very hard to read.

I have ordered a copy of the Deed but will not have it until next week.

On 2nd part -  James Archdeacon of City of Kilkenny Esquire.

On 3rd Part = this details the Acres and location 4 miles East and West of Kilkenny City.

What does it all mean ?

I'm thinking this Joseph Michael Rainsford sells off the Kilkenny Plantation Acres.
However my lineage stays in Castlecomer, and I presume both George and Jonathan ( John ) are born Catholics. So they can not own land.

So by the time they marry in 1814 etc they have just 3 Acres of Land and a House as they are Catholics.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kind Regards
Genesearch1

Offline Drofsniar

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 01 December 11 00:04 GMT (UK) »
This may be significant to your research. My ancestor, John Ransford (sometimes recorded as Rainsford), married a woman from Athy, Co. Kildare in 1761 (Catholic Church). As there are no other Rainsfords in the Athy church records at that time, I assume he arrived in Athy, married this lady and continued to live there. His children were: Mary Ransford, John Ransford, Edward Ransford, James Ransford, James Ransford? and Michael Ransford. I am directly descended from John and I live in Athy. I have been looking for information on the original John for many years, without success.
PS I have a digital copy of the Buckland book, if you are interested.

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Levington House, Mullingar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 01 December 11 00:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,
I have not found anything more for you, so hope this new contribution proves fruitful!
PM

Offline genesearch1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 01 December 11 00:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Drofsniar,

That is amazing you have found it back to 1760 and to Athy Kildare !
The John Ransford I found on the Baptism for Edward Rainsford Esq and Margaret in St Mary's Kilkenny, I think may have been transcribed wrong.

Today I got an email from the RCB in Braemore Park , Dublin 14.

I asked them to clarify this John Ransford.
An Archivist and the Assistant Librarian checked it ONLY because I had a Date - 17 - Oct - 1736.

They confirmed more or less that the CHILD was given as a John Ball.
However this John Ball is also the Sponsor. He happened to  be the Sherrif of Kilkenny at the time.

So the Name was not recorded at all !!
The Irishroots.ie website transcribed it as John Ransford ! I emailed them  and they assumed the John Ball was meant to be John Ransford.

So this leaves me without a Name for Edward Ransford Esq and Margaret.

I got the email from the RCB Representative Church Body today !

Dear Mr. Rainsford. The St. Mary Kilkenny record for that period is very fragile and is not usable . However because you had a specific date the Archivist has looked at the records and we did find an entry on that date for a baptism of a John Ball son of Edward Ransford Esq. and his wife Margaret.
The Odagh records baptism 1825-1878, marriages 1827-1869 and burials 1824-1869 were all destroyed in the fire in 1922 and we don’t have anything for the dates you are looking for Regards

RCB Library
Breamor Park
Churchtown
Dublin 14

As you see not much to go on, to determine if it really is John Ransford.

I will be trying to find out more about the Athy Kildare Rainsford's. I am VERY interested in the Catholic Rainsford's especially from 1760 onwards.

I 'm not sure when my ancestors became Catholic, however I do have a Marriage from 8 Feb 1814, my GG Gfather married Elizabeth Price in Muckalee Castlecomer then.
His brother John Ransford baptised his daughter Mary Ransford a year before in Clashduff Kilkenny on 20 Feb 1813.
Linking this up has proven difficult and more twists and turns than I ever imagined.

I'm sure that I will find the answer somehow.

Is there any way you can send me a brief history of your ancestral links in Athy Kildare from 1760 to 1814 ??

I could look at the births and use google maps to try and find various nearby locations that might give me further clues to my links !!

Kind Regards
Genesearch1

PS - Yes I am interested in a digital copy of the Buckland Book.
I had a look at it briefly in the National Archives in Kildare St, in the Reading Room last week.
If you could send it on I would greatly appreciate that.

Offline BobbiL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 01 January 12 01:15 GMT (UK) »
Happy New Year, All! It is still 2011 here in the U.S.
I have read the posts on this thread with great interest as my great-grandmother was Bridget Rainsford born 1828 in Castlecomer, Kilkenny, according to UK censuses and family records.

She married Joseph Thompson (born Shrewsbury, Shropshire) in Ireland. Their first child, Mary Elizabeth Thompson, was baptized 5 Sept. 1850 in Dublin. They were Catholic.

I have searched through LDS microfilm and elsewhere for some time and have not found any birth record for Bridget.
Unfortunately, I will not be able to research in Ireland anytime soon.

I would appreciate any help you can give me to find Bridget in Castlecomer. Thank you.

Offline genesearch1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 01 January 12 12:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

try 'rootsireland.ie' - its an Irish online site that shows BMD's ( Birth Marriages and Deaths ).
This was superb for me when tracing my roots.

Have u tried using familysearch.org ?  This is a site made by the LDS and it is extremely good also.

What I have  found !!
My advice is to use these sites, there are quiet a few Bridget Rainsford.

Regards my line, I would have to be a  Bridget Rainsford daughter  born of George Rainsford and Elizabeth Price.

My research has taken me all over the place, so this would have to be the one for you to find also.
I will do a look around for you, but you will have to give me a few days or a few weeks.

Hope what I have sent you will help you along.

Kind Regards
Genesearch1.