Author Topic: David Evans  (Read 3670 times)

Offline Derbyshire Ian

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
David Evans
« on: Tuesday 22 November 11 13:13 GMT (UK) »
I have just started looking for my Wifes Maternal side of the family and have come against a real wall, and wonder if anyone can point me in a direction to help. My family name is Darrah and has been fairly easy to research but hers being Evans is proving a bigger test.
I have had some success recently with two census returns I am sure are correct, but I cannot connect anything else.
Facts I know are her Great Grandfather was called David Evans who we understand married a Charlotte Lewis (we believe) two children were born
Rachel Anne or (Ann) around 1892 and Sarah Jane around 1894. The mother then died maybe in childbirth with another child. David remarried to we think a Mary Hughes and they had a number of children Vincent, Thomas, Trevor, Twins John & Enid, Gwynn, Nesta,Hilda,Millicent,& May, these names come from a 92 year old (daughter of Rachel Ann) who's memory although being incredible for her age may not be totally accurate.
I have found a census return in 1911 which shows the farm this lady remembers so I am sure is correct. Details being Reg Dist 593- Sub Reg Dist Pontardawe,- Civil parish Llangiwg ED 13 Houshold Schedule 21 Piece 32694. and also a 1901 Census where facts are very similair although in a different location. Civil parish Llanelly - Town Iscoed, Reg District Llanelly, Sub Reg Llanon ED 10 Household schedule 275 Piece 5093 Folio 154 Page No 46.
I also know that in his life he was a farmer and also a JP. What I would love to know is where he was born and therefore to be able to send for Birth marriage & death certs and also members of his family to try to track anybody down that may be related.
I know this is a monster of a mail but I would love to be able to give some info to this 92 year old lady while she is still with us.
Any help would be most welcome.
Regards

ian

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: David Evans
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 November 11 13:22 GMT (UK) »
Facts I know are her Great Grandfather was called David Evans who we understand married a Charlotte Lewis (we believe) two children were born
Rachel Anne or (Ann) around 1892 and Sarah Jane around 1894. The mother then died maybe in childbirth with another child.

Hi Ian

a possible marriage from freebmd
June qtr 1892 Llandilofawr  11a 1501
Evans  David   
Lewis  Charlotte Ann     

Lloyd  Mary         
THOMAS  John     
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Derbyshire Ian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 November 11 13:39 GMT (UK) »
I have sent away for that one and from the info on the certificate we are fairly sure it is not the same person. Although we may be wrong.

Regards

Ian

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 November 11 14:22 GMT (UK) »
I have sent away for that one and from the info on the certificate we are fairly sure it is not the same person. Although we may be wrong.

Regards

Ian

What does that marriage cert say?

I see Charlotte Ann Lewis in 1891 - RG12/4514 f84 p6    with her 4 year old 'stepbrother' Archibald Skym and with her parents David and Rachel in 1881 RG11/5393  f89 p10 

Rosie   

Offline Derbyshire Ian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 November 11 14:44 GMT (UK) »
Rosie,

Looking at the cert you are quite right,it shows Charlotte  living at the farmers Arms (as the census you mention) and it shows her husband David as a Collier living at Thorne Hill Farm Llandebie and father called Thomas Evans (Farmer) Charlottes Father was David lewis and is shown as deceased.

Many thanks

Ian

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 November 11 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ian

Glad it was the right certificate.  ;D

I presume this is Charlottes death
June qtr 1896   
Evans,  Charlotte Ann  age 27  Llanelly  11a 5

David is not at home in 1891
RG12/4513 f 27 p21
All bn Llandebie
Thomas Evans 46
Sarah Evans 49
Ann Evans 24
Eliza Evans 19
Thomas Evans 17
Rees Evans 15
Evan Evans 14
Sarah J Evans 11
William Evans 9
Ebenezer Evans 7
Joseph Evans 5
Lloyd Evans 2

Incidentally I agree with your 1901 and 1911 finds.  :)