Author Topic: 64th Medium Regt RA  (Read 19292 times)

Offline DavidGreenall110

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 64th Medium Regt RA
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 25 October 14 11:24 BST (UK) »
That was a baptism of fire! Especially on 22nd, many thanks for that Drew

Regards

David
Death, Sambles, Searle, Loates, Beamish, Brooks, Bates, Coates, Hughes, Lythgoe, Johnson, Rodgers, Hawthorne, Rhodes, Lister, Sneyd

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 25 October 14 12:29 BST (UK) »
Not relating to your relative personally but some background on the organisation of "medium" regts

http://nigelef.tripod.com/medregt44.htm

This post is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws. Unfortunately my preferred method of writing (Parker Quink on Basildon Bond) cannot be used.

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 25 October 14 13:34 BST (UK) »
You might like to look at Youtube 'From Holloway to the Western Desert-mpeg2video.mpg'.

It's a succession of stills from 64th Medium Regiment RA, fully captioned as to personnel. Photographs of the 6" howitzer they were equipped with until 1943. Accompanied by stirring martial music guaranteed to raise your spirits. Fine looking young men, no obesity there. Photo's of AEC tractor, a Matilda and Crusader III, latter just might have been a regimental artillery observation tank, don't promise though.

Probably in mid 1943 re-equipped with either the 4.5" or 5.5" medium gun.

At Arnhem September 1944. Major General Urquart, OC 1st Airborne Division rewarded 64th with Pegasus badge worn on lower left sleeve and retitled 64th as 64th Airborne Medium Regt. RA for it's fire support at Arnhem which saved 1st Airborne from being totally destroyed as against merely destroyed, it was not reformed. Of course, Urquart had no authority, and wearing of the airborne badge and change in title were cancelled.   

Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Jim Martin

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 09 November 14 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello Andrea first greetings to frankie on 94 I will be that in dec  here are a few names he will
rember  jimmy james. sid hascroft. stan letch. arthur cross. clift bastin. alf cameron.
bob walton . bill stoneman. sammy smith.just a few. hope this goes o.k. I am not all that
clever with this.

Offline AndreaPaterson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 09 November 14 17:58 GMT (UK) »
Nice to hear from you Jim.
I will be going to see him tomorrow so will run those names past him. He certainly remembers Cliff Bastin of Arsenal fame and has mentioned Sammy Smith who was also a good footballer. Were you in the same regiment?
Andrea

Offline anonemouse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 30 March 17 12:14 BST (UK) »
Hello
Sorry to but into this conversation at such a late stage but I have an interest in the 64th Medium Regiment also.

My father in law Richard Brown 7639284 served in this regiment during WW2. I am searching for information about his war service movements along with my husband (his son) and would be grateful to hear anything you could tell me about him and any possible photos.

I hope it isnt too late to get into this conversation and look forward to hearing from you

Kind regards
Anonemouse

Offline Drew5233

• RootsChat Veteran
  • How Many Hours in Spits?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 30 March 17 12:57 BST (UK) »
Hi

Without wishing to give too much away. If you contacted me back in November 2011 regarding another two units feel free to contact me.

Regards
Andy

Offline JohnSaul

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 31 August 17 21:02 BST (UK) »
Hi
Just researching my late father's war record. James Arthur Saul 916215. I've got his service record which has his attestation on 8 May 1939, embodied 2 September 1939. 212 Battery, 64th Medium Regiment Royal Artillery. He became a POW in June 1942 and spent the rest of the war in camps in Italy and then Germany. I have many of the letters he sent to his parents (my grandparents), his medals and a few photographs. I remember dad telling me one of the photos was of his officer, something like Roncaroni? Any further information would be much appreciated.
Cheers,
John

Offline DavidGreenall110

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 02 September 17 15:38 BST (UK) »
Hi John,

Thanks for the post, I don't have much for that period however, If you go to page 2 of this thread there's a Gwen Nelson who's Father was also a POW from 1942 onwards she may be able to help you more than I can?

My general interest starts when he was transferred in October 1942.

Cheers
Dave
Death, Sambles, Searle, Loates, Beamish, Brooks, Bates, Coates, Hughes, Lythgoe, Johnson, Rodgers, Hawthorne, Rhodes, Lister, Sneyd