Author Topic: 64th Medium Regt RA  (Read 19361 times)

Offline ClementsCanonbury

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 64th Medium Regt RA
« Reply #45 on: Thursday 19 October 17 09:11 BST (UK) »
my uncle was William Holloway (holly or alva to fellow soldiers
[/quote]

Hi David

In the article I have there is s Gnr Holloway W.G living at 155 Halton Mansions N1. The article lists him as being in ‘B’ troop.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 19 October 17 19:20 BST (UK) »
my uncle was William Holloway (holly or alva to fellow soldiers), his book covers enlistment at the start of the war, training at berkhamstead, deployment to Africa fighting the Italians, then breakout and escape driving over german lines heading for fuka then diverted to a place called alamein  where 64th fired that tremendous barrage, on via operation overlord d day , attached to 30 corps under gen brian horrocks via villers bocage  mont pincon, Arnhem, (this is where the 64 th were the unit to establish radio contact with johnny frosts paras , as prrviously mentioned by another contributor this lead to a request from gen brian urqhart to allow the 64th to wear the Pegasus patch on their uniform, shame to say not ratified by the war office.

Hi I have checked the article that I have and it lists a W.G Holloway living at 155 Halton Mansions N1. Would this be your uncle? He was in 'B' troop.

Offline normandy1944

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 20 October 17 18:47 BST (UK) »
Hi , YES THAT IS MY UNCLE , AM TRYING TO GET HIS 64TH BOOK PUBLISHED . REGARDS PHIL.

Offline Jedthespread

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 12 November 17 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

With Remembrance Day just gone I thought I would share something pretty cool that I acquired a few years back. There is a reference to 64th Medium Regt RA maybe on a telegraph so after a quick google I saw this post and am posting it incase it is of any interest to you. There is also mentioned Sicily and was sent from Egypt so it is area relevant looking back.

The quick story is that back in my plastering days I worked on a house that was bought at auction including all its contents. I was instructed to clear a few rooms and skip a load of stuff to make room for work to begin. The son of the old man that owned the place and had passed away auctioned the house off with all its contents.
I kept quite a few things from that place but in one of the boxes I found this lot.
A bayonet, pictures of the gentleman (0n the left) who I think is his brother, his war time sweetheart in uniform, some pictures of their wedding and a picture of there first born and an announcing of baby card with names. Date and weight on it.
Most interestingly I got a copy of something called an airgraph that I expect is some kind of telegraph but it has some cool drawings on it too that we're done by the sender.

I hope this may be of some use.

There is text and dates on the back of some of the photos and the name of the baby, address of where she was born etc..

Jed

Jed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 12 November 17 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

What a great find you have there. I don't think it is quite relevant to the 64th Medium regt however. It says 64 battery, 165 Field Regiment RA. I could be wrong though - the other people on this forum are much more knowledgable than me so should be able to point you in the right direction.

However I have tried to look up the two fellows on the letter and I can see that sadly the chap to whom the letter was written died in 1944. He was a flight engineer in the Royal Air force volunteer reserve. He is buried in Amersfoort war cemetery in Holland.
I haven't been able to find anything on the writer of the letter so hopefully he survived the war.
Thanks for posting-it is all very interesting.

Caroline

Offline Jedthespread

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 12 November 17 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Caroline,

Yes you are correct. In all honesty I have no knowledge of this kind of history and just googled the 64th and this thread popped up so I figured I would just post it up. Since then I have had a search around and the brother Roy (on the right) did die on the return from a bombing raid in a Lancaster bomber to Germany and got shot down in Holland.

I now have a new interest in this sort of thing so will keep on with the search and follow up all the new leads I have discovered this evening. I am actually driving over to Holland next week on business and figured I would call in and check the grave site out in person.

All this is very interesting hey!

Jed

Offline Richard Nutkins

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Saturday 12 May 18 21:06 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

My grandad who's 98 and still going strong and very lucid served with the 64th Medium Regiment. Still lives in Islington and might be able to help with any details.

Regards,

Richard

Offline Nelliedrongo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 29 January 19 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I am looking for more information or contacts to do with my granddad's service. Specifially I would like to find out if he is in war diaries or perhaps just read them to get an idea of his life then. It says I need to know theatre of war to get the right ones but I am not really sure what this means.

We are lucky enough to have a copy of a newspaper article written about his TA unit in March 1945 which I thought might be of interest to you all.

He was part of a TA unit based in Offord road in Barnsbury, Islington. It lists the places they had been in the war:Now in Berlin via Tobruk, Syria, Eritrea, Greece, Crete, Tripoli, Tunis,Sicily, Normandy, Antwerp and Nijmegen.
It also lists the names of soldiers in the two troops A and B. He was in A troop along with T.L Adams, Sgt. A O Paterson, Sgt F.J Arscott, Bdr. Ibbotson, Bdr. J E Rist, L/bdr Cox, Gnr R.H Batson, Gnr Arthur John Clements (also know as Clem or Art - my grandad), Gnr G A Nutkins, Gnr R J Salter and a couple of other illegible names.

The article also says:
Along the coast to Tyre, Sidon & Beirut, with Montgomery fighting Rommel close to Tripoli, inspected by Churchill and Monty. Meddenine, then Mareth, Gabes, Sousse, Enfidaville to Tunis. Then Cape Bon peninsula against Afrika Korps then with 8th army to Sicily then Italy supporting 1st Italian landings then had a rest at Christmas 1943. June 8th 1944 they landed at Normandy, then Holland to the Rhine at Nijmegen. 1st to get wireless contact with 1st Airbone division at Arnheim.

His leave certificate says Klenze Germany 4th Jan 1946 having joined 3rd May 1939!

He was injured in 1942 according to a search I have done but it didn't give me any details.

I  know he had at least one operation/possible two whilst in the desert in North Africa and wondered if there would be any details on this anywhere.

Thanks - sorry about the long post!

My father L/Bdr Arthur T.E.Clark M.M. Was in the 64th. I have all his photos from N.Africa through to The Ardennes . I am going to try to contact Clements Canonbury as I have a photo taken in N.Africa or perhaps Syria of his grandad Arthur Clements with my father !

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday 29 January 19 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi
That is amazing news about the photo.  if you want to send a copy. Once I see who your relative is, i’ll have a look through the photocopies of my grandad’s photos, to see if they are there.
You have made my day.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.