Author Topic: 64th Medium Regt RA  (Read 19294 times)

Offline DavidGreenall110

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
64th Medium Regt RA
« on: Tuesday 22 November 11 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Antbody else here had a family member that served in the 64th Medium Regiment RA during WW2?

If so I'd like to hear from you, I'm trying to piece my Grandfathers war service together from Dunkirk to Arnhem and the Ardennes via North Africa and Italy.

I've found allsorts of information on-line but it would be nice to be able to speak to others.

David
Death, Sambles, Searle, Loates, Beamish, Brooks, Bates, Coates, Hughes, Lythgoe, Johnson, Rodgers, Hawthorne, Rhodes, Lister, Sneyd

Offline kazzy77

• RootsChat Extra
  • I will get to the bottom of this!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: 64th Medium Regt RA
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 January 12 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi there David
my grandad was also in the 64th medium regiment RA as a bdr and pt instructor. Like yourself I am trying to piece together what happened and where. I have only just discovered that the reason they were on crete was due to the destroyer they were travelling on running out of fuel! My grandad used to give us little pieces of info but not a full story so we are just trying to put it together now. I knew he was mentioned in despatches twice but he'd never tell us what for. I know it was hard for him to talk about alot of it. You are right that its not the same reading about it online but I've found that I have been able to understand alot more and attach the fragments he told us to events.

Karen
Stewart, Barlow, Booth, Cooke, Daniels, Thornhill

Offline DavidGreenall110

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 April 12 23:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen,

Sorry for the delay in replying.

I'm looking at his early service around the time of the Dunkirk campaign at the moment (he was in 24th Field Regt RA at that time), I've contacted the Royal Artillery Museum who are sending me the pages of the War Diary for that period. They seem to hold quite a lot of records there and have a Reading Room that you can use for £10/day. I'm hopefully (work and small child permitting) to go down there later this year, I'll let you know how I get on.

I also contacted the Veterans Association and got hold of a copy of his service Record which gave me a few clues as to where he was (you'll need permission from the next of kin and a lot of patience for that one, it takes between 6 & 9 months to get it back due to demand) and since my last post I've come into posession of his medals he seems to have been everywhere in the Western Theatre.

If I find anything else out I'll let you know.

David
Death, Sambles, Searle, Loates, Beamish, Brooks, Bates, Coates, Hughes, Lythgoe, Johnson, Rodgers, Hawthorne, Rhodes, Lister, Sneyd

Offline normandy1944

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 19:48 BST (UK) »
 :)Hi david, I saw your post about 64th medium regiment. I have some info on the regiment but from 212 battery viewpoint ,not sure if would be of interest to you . I may even have a photo of your relative you never know. all the best phil.

Offline DavidGreenall110

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 21:49 BST (UK) »
Phil,

Many thanks for the reply.

Anything you have would be a help, I'm not sure which Battery in the 64th he was with all I know is that he was a driver.

I have his service record which only gives periods in time and specific details.

I've looked on-line at the 64th and come up with several hints and also managed to get hold of an old menu card for the reunion dinners. My Dad says he remembers driving Grandad to a couple of them.

Regards

David

Offline normandy1944

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 22:06 BST (UK) »
hi, david. if you give me his full name I can check if I have personal pics or any history of him. I have lots of info on this unit ,menu cards as you mention etc. i can always check in the unpublished regimental history for you. all the best . phil.

Offline DavidGreenall110

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 22:11 BST (UK) »
Phil,

Gnr Charles Joseph De'ath No 893341 he transferred from the 24th Field Regiment RA to the 64th July 1942.

Dave

Offline normandy1944

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 22:22 BST (UK) »
Hi dave, will have a look tomorrow as off to bed for early shift in morning. all the best phil.

Offline normandy1944

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 04 July 13 21:57 BST (UK) »
Hi dave, can find no reference to de.ath in my documents on regiment. have you seen the dennis falvey book on the 64th ,I had a look in this also but name not in index.this book may give you some info though. all the best phil