Author Topic: Strood, Kent, Poor Law Union  (Read 20602 times)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Strood, Kent, Poor Law Union
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 23 November 11 22:22 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if ...........

Marriages June qtr 1894   
Frederick William Elliott   Strood  2a 817   
Florence Annie Hartup 

Births March qtr 1872 
Florence Annie Hartup    North Aylesford  2a 435

Just found the above couple on the 1901 census - no sons Herbert & Reginald   
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 24 November 11 12:57 GMT (UK) »

I think the 1901 in Portsmouth shows Frederick as a Whitesmith.
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline martytriple

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 24 November 11 13:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to everyone for their help.

Daisy, Frederick is in Portswood in 1901 as a Rancher visiting Claude Le Quesne.

I have plenty of info on him and his ancestors, I'm just looking for Reginalds birth cert etc as proof.

Also back to my original question I wanted to know if anyone had any experience of searching the Medway archives for Strood Poor Law Union around 1904 - 1911

I may put a post on the Kent Section of the forum
Elliot, Elliott, Kent, Strood Workhouse, Farningham Home for Little Boys

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 24 November 11 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Oh, Portswood not Portsea, very different places to one who comes from Hampshire area   :)

In both the 1901 censuses Frederick says he is single, so do you think Herbert and Reginald were born out of wedlock? If so they could be registered under their mother's name, she could have married by 1901 and they could be under the new husbands name.

Just out of curiousity, is 'your' Frederick the one married to Pauline Beatrice HOLZMAN in 1904? If so do you have their marriage cert. to see if it shows Frederick as a widower or bachelor.

If this is the right couple it seem strange that they have a son called Reginald aged:5 in 1911.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline martytriple

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 24 November 11 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Daisypetal

Yes I put the wrong place initially !!. Apologies

Looks like you have gone down a number of the avenues (cul de sacs) I have.

Yes Frederick did marry Pauline Holzman and they went back to Canada in 1904. I havn't got his marriage cert.

The main problem is on my Grandfathers marriage cert he states that his father was Frederick William and was a rancher which fits in with the 1901 census. The marriage cert also says Frederick is deceased when I know he died later than this (1919)

I've also been in touch with the Wellington College where Frederick studied and they know of no marriage prior to Pauline Holtxman but have confirmed a number of ancestors.

This is why I'm reluctant to make any assumptions.

Oh one thing I've been a bit slack with Reginalds full name was Reginald Patrick Tarleton Elliot, on his marriage cert, Reginald Patrick on his WW1 record and just Reginald on the Farningham Homes record.

So really that's why I need to know how good the Strood PLU records are for 1904-1911.

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 24 November 11 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Did Herbert have any middle names?

I'm sure you've already looked at Cityark  for Herbert and Reginald's christenings, but just in case :)

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0bl/

It might be quite a trawl as they could have a different surname.

If you haven't used Cityark before be aware that there are two pages of christening on each link (horizontal). I didn't notice this when I first searched for someone there :-[ it was hours before I realised my mistake  ::) :)

Offline martytriple

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 24 November 11 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Don't know of any middle names for Herbert.

I've spent hours on City Ark trawling through parish records. I knew there were two pages on each view.

Perhaps they were not from Kent at all, but my Grandfather had a Kentish accent according to my father.

Found Frederick's marriage to Pauline in West Yorkshire and he was down as a batchelor.

Offline Pedropepper

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 19 April 12 20:40 BST (UK) »
Marty,

Cousin P here. I have news of the Strood Union Workhouse from Medway Records. Alas it is little help. Grand-Father was placed here by a Mrs Elliot (not Frederick William). Not sure if Herbert was admitted at the same time.

I have posted the Boy's Home in St Peters, Westminster to see if I can obtain a copy of Reginald's entry into here. Seems he checked in and out of Farningham Little Boys Home in Sept 14 but was re-admitted in Nov 14, then was placed with an American Repair Co in Edgeware Rd (you probably have this info, nonetheless, it may assist.

Regards   

Offline martytriple

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 20 April 12 20:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks for contacting me, I have PM'd you

Cheers

Martyn