Author Topic: A very strange name.  (Read 12934 times)

Offline josephinemary

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
A very strange name.
« on: Wednesday 23 November 11 18:03 GMT (UK) »
Looking for bap record of Crozette Veale born about 1825 in Dartmouth, Devon. Have found her with her Mum Caroline and siblings in 1841 in Stepney and all Census records after including her death. She married Henry Nichols Kemp in Dartmouth about 1852. Her father was a ships captain but more than that I do not know. Am also intrigued to know where this name came from. Any ideas?
Any help very much appreciated.
Thank you.
Brown.Allen.Cobb.Bradshaw.Platts.Shaw.Hawcroft.Rollinson.Bowering.Rawlinson.Crayton.Boardman.
Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.co.uk

Offline Moscatella

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A very strange name.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 November 11 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi - it was common name to my knowledge, growing up in Devon.  I never thought of it as at all unusual.   Also my father-in-law had a few Veale cousins who were mostly from St Budeaux/Devonport area - not so far from your relatives!

I googled the origin of surname Veale and came up with this link, which is one of the more interesting explanations. :)

http://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Veal

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 November 11 18:17 GMT (UK) »
Isn't it the Crozette bit that is unusual, rather than the Veale?
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Levington House, Mullingar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 November 11 18:51 GMT (UK) »
House of names, for what it is worth, has this:
http://www.houseofnames.com/crozette-family-crest
As a surname.
Lots of place names, streets etc in France with it. But very rare as a first name - familysearch has only about 20 worldwide. Maybe it was a family surname or something to do with her fathers travels or even a ship he was on?
Her name is given as Crozette Elizabeth Kemp on her daughters baptism, might be useful in tracing her own Baptism. (

There is a well known Captain from Dartmouth of that name, and she married in Darmouth, so maybe a connection:
Life and Times of William Veale, Master Mariner 1791-1867: "The Dartmouth Robinson Crusoe" (Dartmouth History Research Group Paper) Author Linda King
PM

Added later:
William Veal, Master Mariner.
Linda King

Published 1999       ISBN No 1 899011 16 1                £3.00

This biography of William Veale was written by his great, great, great granddaughter.

William was born in Dartmouth in 1791 during the reign of George III, and first went to sea as an apprentice at the age of 14. By 1820 he was a fully qualified ship’s captain, and that year commanded the Princess of Wales with a crew of 14 men on a voyage to collect a cargo of seal skins from the islands south of Africa. Disaster struck and his ship was wrecked in a storm, although, amazingly, all 15 mariners were able to make land on an uninhabited island. There they lived a Robinson Crusoe like existence for the next two years before eventually being rescued.

Undaunted by his experience, William Veale continued to captain ships on long voyages around the world for another 30 years, until his retirement in 1854. He and his second wife lived their remaining days in the Trinity Almshouses  at Deptford, London.

Linda King’s book provides a fascinating insight into life at sea during the 19th century.

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 November 11 19:02 GMT (UK) »
http://boards.ancestry.co.uk/thread.aspx?mv=flat&m=115&p=surnames.veale

Looks like Caroline is William Veale's second wife:

This message board has this to say:
William Henry Veale

"William Henry was one of four children of William and Charlotte Innes - they were Charlotte Elizabeth Crozette; Mary Jane; William Henry and Lavinia. He had two further children by Caroline Cranford (widow of William Follett). They were Lydia Crozette and Sydney Cranford.

In my earlier note I mentioned Linda King, she is a direct descendant of William via his first child Charlotte Elizabeth, so I guess your best bet is to contact her. "

but it does associate the names Crozette and Veale. Some digging to do!
PM

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 November 11 19:36 GMT (UK) »
The1841 census shows that Caroline is living with several children. She is described as wife of master mariner. None born in county.

RG /107/712/15/9
Caroline Veale   35
Crozette Veale   16
Mary Veale   14
Willm Veale   12
Lydia  Veale   10
Sydney Veale   Upwards 7 (?)

According to the Ancest***y clip, Crozette age d 16 is  Charlotte Elizabeth Crozette and Lydia aged 10 is
Lydia Crozette.

So which one married Kemp?

This is probably fairly simple, and backs up the Anc*****y account, but need a bit more proof and  clarification. I don't have access to Dartmouth BMD's, and am therefore not sure my logic is correct.

Free BMD Has the younger girl:

Lydia Crosette Veale
Date of Registration:   Jul-Aug-Sep 1837 (Allowing for1841 round up of age, possibly ok?)
Reg   Totnes
Volume:   9
Page:   316

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 November 11 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

The baptism was in London.

Charlotte Elizabeth Crezett VEALE was born 19 Oct 1824 and bap 16 Jan 1825 at Limehouse St Anne parents William and Charlotte (Mariner of Limehouse)

William also in London

William Henry VEALE was baptised 12 Apr 1829 St Mary Magdalene Bermondsey  parents William and Charlotte (Mariner of Dartmouth Devon)

Mary Jane VEALE was baptised 21 Feb 1827 at St Saviour Dartmouth parents William and Charlotte (Mariner of St Saviours)

Lavinia VEALE was baptised 3 Jun 1831 at St Saviour Dartmouth parents William and Charlotte (Mariner of St Saviours)

William VEALE = Charlotte INNES 7 Jan 1824 St Saviour Dartmouth

Charlotte VEALE was buried 11 Jul 1834 St Clement Dartmouth aged 37 of St Saviour

There is a headstone although it appears not completely legible

http://www.dartmouth-history.org.uk/view_doc.html?Id=35&Hrow=0

William VEALE = Caroline FOLLETT 9 Dec 1836 St Clement Dartmouth

Cheers Kris  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 November 11 22:36 GMT (UK) »
Well done Kris  :)
Now that that has established that the Mariner is indeed the husband of Caroline and the father of Crozette, here is a find that would have me over the moon if it was my family:
http://www.archive.org/stream/narrativeofvoyag00goodrich#page/n3/mode/2up
A contemporary account of the two years of being shipwrecked by one of the party.

It establishes that William was only 28, and his brother Jarvis was with him.

Just before the vessel  was wrecked, they arrived at the "Crozette Islands"! He married his first wife in 1824 -after his return from the shipwreck......!

PM

Offline alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 November 11 23:15 GMT (UK) »
Well, well, well!

The wedding of my 3xgt grandparents was witnessed by Ann Duell, who was the sister of the Thomas Duell, mentioned on page 137 of this book. 

I look forward to reading the book more carefully as my ancestors (the Todrig family) were whalers in the South Seas in the early 19th century.

Also in this account, the island where the shipwrecked mariners spent the two year spell before rescue was one of the Crozet islands - hence the daughter's name? 
Perrins - Manchester and Staffs
Honan - Manchester and Ireland
Hogg - Manchester 19 cent
Anderson - Newcastle mid 19 cent
Boullen - London then Carlisle then Manchester
Comer - Manchester and Galway