Author Topic: Can someone clever compare this couple for a match please?  (Read 4371 times)

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: Can someone clever compare this couple for a match please?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 23 November 11 22:19 GMT (UK) »
I think the "tassles" are actually the back of the chair showing between her (tightly corsetted) waist and her arms...

What an exciting story!  I'd be so chuffed to find a photo like this on the cover of a mag  ;D

Maybe the family of the person who posted it was friends with your family, so there might not be an obvious connection between the two?

Offline pauashell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Family Tree sap, comes one drip at a time ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 23 November 11 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Yes they could well have been friends too I guess ..... BUT the owner of the photo has the same surname as the bride and groom in the first photo, so really there should be a connection!  By chance I was given a report written by the local paper about that wedding and it's very detailed and I've passed on the names of the five ..... yes 5 ... groomsmen to the photo owner hoping this may help.

The couple in the 2nd photo are the reason why I started my family history journey.  I grew up constantly seeing a large photo of them on my Grandmother's wall and all I ever knew about them was that they were Mother and Father and their surname was McIntyre they lived at Pokeno and they came from Scotland.  It wasn't until the year 2000 that my Aunt showed me a funeral card for Elizabeth McIntyre that I even had a name!  That was all I needed to get me started ...... I later found that my Grandmother was born out of wedlock, so these two would have brought her up as their own!  How strange that the large photo disappeared when my Grandmother passed away and each member of the family thought that one of the other members had it ?  How fantastic that one connection I made sent me a copy of that very same photo!  It's been a wonderful journey thanks to those two.  I have enjoyed every minute of it .... even the stuff that knocked our socks off!!   
Dewar - McIntyre - Binnie - Wrangham - Stirlingshire/NZ
Ryder - Bugg - Somerset - Moon - England/NZ
Ducker - Eyes - Bradley - Ward - Lincolnshire
Lovich - Simic - Croatia/NZ
Williams - Strahan - USA

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 23 November 11 23:17 GMT (UK) »
A wonderful story all round pauashell! And I also agree that they are the same couple.  :)

When I saw the title of this post, I was prepared to say they were different people. There are regularly similar queries trying to confirm if people in photos are one and the same, and it is quite rare that they are identifiable as such.

What I don't understand is that the owner of the other photo doesn't see any similarities ...  :-\ I can understand if they cannot find a connection, but they're obviously the same couple and as others have said, the photo looks to be taken on exactly the same occassion.

In addition to the similarities already pointed out by others, there is the man's distinctive hat - on head in wedding party photo - on knee in photo of couple ...

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 23 November 11 23:37 GMT (UK) »
As expected  ;) we have agreement .... and sharing in your exciting find as well, wonderful!

Now to get family to join all the dots/wots, work out what Watt's what with the grannie bit! Also find it strange that there wasn't an immediate connection found with the owner sharing the name. Hopefully the family historian will come up trumps soon!

I'm thinking your g'mother's cousin, if Sam had a bro. with children  :-\ and photo could have been gifted after the wedding but while grannie still about maybe.

... and agree with Prue, Elizabeth with trim waist, back of chair showing.

?? 5 bridegrooms ...

:) mare

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 24 November 11 00:33 GMT (UK) »
five ..... yes 5 ... bridegrooms  

Groomsmen, perhaps  ;) ;D

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 24 November 11 00:37 GMT (UK) »
Yes, more than likely   ;D ... there are 5 young ladies besides the bride with bouquets.

Offline pauashell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Family Tree sap, comes one drip at a time ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 24 November 11 02:02 GMT (UK) »
Oops yes indeed I meant to put groomsmen !
I've edited it now ..... thanks for pointing that out  ;)
Dewar - McIntyre - Binnie - Wrangham - Stirlingshire/NZ
Ryder - Bugg - Somerset - Moon - England/NZ
Ducker - Eyes - Bradley - Ward - Lincolnshire
Lovich - Simic - Croatia/NZ
Williams - Strahan - USA

Offline Rachels

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 24 November 11 10:31 GMT (UK) »
I think the "tassles" are actually the back of the chair showing between her (tightly corsetted) waist and her arms...

Not totally convinced it is the chair back showing  :-\ .... it's puzzling
The 2 sets of blobs are mirror images of each other

Rachel
FOR RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 
Please do NOT use my restores without permission, unless you're the owner of the photo.  Some of my restores are on flickr.com ~ rachel sc

my computer is an iMac

BANCE, BALLINGER, CHEES(E)MAN, CONNOR, COOK, COX, CRUTCHLEY,
DAWSON, FLYNN, FOLWELL, FORGAN, FORREST, HARRIS, KING, LOOKER,
MIDGLEY, OATES, ROE, SIM(M)S, WHITTINGTON

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 24 November 11 10:35 GMT (UK) »
No, it certainly doesn't look like chair back there Rachel  :D .... perhaps she can't get her spare hankies up her sleeve  ;D

It must be part of decoration on the waistband ... accentuates the little waist, that's for sure!