Author Topic: Thomas Kirk - Armagh to USA 1911  (Read 4207 times)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Kirk - Armagh to USA 1911
« Reply #18 on: Monday 20 August 18 23:00 BST (UK) »
I would also love to know about his death.
There is a Thomas Kirk, Ithaca, Death 1956 age 52/53 buried Willow Glen Cemetry. But this Thomas was born in New York not Armagh according to the record.

What record are you looking at?  I see that a Find a Grave entry says he was born in New York, but it doesn't look like any source is given. 

The Social Security application for Thomas Kirk who died 28 Aug. 1956 says he was born 18 Jun. 1893.  That seems to match up with the date of birth for your guy on the WWI draft registration card.

Offline norh

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 20 August 18 23:36 BST (UK) »
Hello Shellyesq,
I found it on Find a grave memorial ID 125991122

"Born in New York USA" put a doubt in my head. Are you able to give me an image of the Social security application please?

Earlier RJ137 wrote:-

The Ithaca Journal
Ithaca, New York
Tuesday, August 28, 1956 - Page 2

Thomas Kirk
Thomas Kirk, custodian at the American Legion Home, 314 Stewart Ave., died this morning, Aug. 28, 1956, in Memorial Hospital. Funeral arrangements in charge of the Shea Funeral Home, 314 W. State St., will be announced later

Do you know if "custodian" is like a manager at that American Legion home? If so I might be able to get some information from there

Thanks again
Noreen

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 16:07 BST (UK) »
RJ137,
Many thanks for this. I have immigration card, war record card and info from the Census`s but dont have anything from Ithaca Journal or American Legion Post. Do you have links for either please? Any new snippet of information about Thomas is fantastic to have.
Thanks Noreen

The Ithaca Journal is available on Newspaper com from 1914-present. It is a pay site to view articles. I am not a paying member and can't view the articles.

I can only see snippets of articles using different search criteria

Snippets for "Thomas Kirk"

Link: http://www.rootschat.com/links/01mkn/

=========

The are two pictures of past Post commanders which he is included. But I can only see small preview picture of page.

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/256947224/

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/254731049/

Offline norh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 19:21 BST (UK) »
RJ137,
This is great!! Ill subscribe to the newspaper site. Many thanks for your help.
Noreen

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 15:43 BST (UK) »
Are you able to give me an image of the Social security application please?

It is only a transcription from a subscription site.  If you wanted to order the application for a fee, this explains how to do it - https://www.legalgenealogist.com/2013/05/31/ordering-the-ss-5/

Offline norh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 19:36 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Shellyesq & RJ137,
Ive just gone through all the Ithaca Journal newspaper clippings (124) and learnt the following:-

Most importantly it is definitely my relative - because the genetics came through and I picked him out in a photo without looking at the name. So Delighted.
He lived in Ithaca and joined the American Legion where he held a number of positions between 1921 until he died on 25th August 1956. Positions held - volunteer, committee member, Leader Chef de Gare, Captain Canvassing team, Chairman, Adjutant, Vice Commander, Commander (two terms) Executive Committee, Sergeant at arms, Service Officer, Finance Officer & Refreshment committee before dying in 1956.

In 1929 an article mentions Mrs Thomas Kirk - it was about a storm & flooding which resulted in Mrs Thomas Kirk having spent Sunday with Mr & Mrs Arthur Loope. This was the only link to the possibility of Thomas having been married - if only for a short time. Can anyone find any documentation to clarify this?

Employment -
1929 HCT Motor Company. May 28th they flew to Syracruse in a Ryan cabin monoplane for a business meeting.

1932 - Employed by Erie J Millar - Automobile Salesman

I would love to know if Thomas married and if so had he any children.
With the information above can anyone think of another means to create a fuller picture?
I have contacted the Canadian army requesting his file.
Many thanks
Noreen   

Offline norh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 19:40 BST (UK) »
PS
I forgot to mention there were Kirks Smoke Shop adverts frequently between Sept 1934 and March 1936.
Is there a way of finding out if this was Thomas Kirk? Could he have owned or leased this shop?
Noreen

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 20:16 BST (UK) »
PS
I forgot to mention there were Kirks Smoke Shop adverts frequently between Sept 1934 and March 1936.
Is there a way of finding out if this was Thomas Kirk? Could he have owned or leased this shop?
Noreen

Buys Smoke Shop: http://www.rootschat.com/links/01mky/

The search criterea I previuosly linked included the word "Legion" and produced 124 results. I was looking for articles associating Thomas with the American Legion

You don't have to use just that search criterea. Here is a search just for "Thomas Kirk". It produced 163 results.

Link: http://www.rootschat.com/links/01mkz/

Offline norh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 21:10 BST (UK) »
Hi again RJ137,
Having looked at those papers it appears there is another Thomas Kirk in Ithaca at this time.

In 1915 the son of Mr And Mrs Thomas Kirk drowned in Waterloo canal aged 11 years. My ancestor would only have been 22 so wouldnt have had a son aged 11.

Maybe this family owned Kirks Smoke shop also..
Noreen