Author Topic: Thomas WOODS Kilrea Co Derry - 1901 census  (Read 11066 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas WOODS Kilrea Co Derry - 1901 census
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 08 October 16 09:12 BST (UK) »
Glad someone could see that Thomas McAuley Woods was son of Thomas Woods and Maria Bolton  ;)

It's not uncommon to find a person using different versions of the same name used over the years. The middle name on my original birth certificate & baptismal record is not the one I have now and both my grandfathers changed their middle names in their teens.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 11 October 16 18:56 BST (UK) »
Yet again, Thomas McAuley Woods was the son of Thomas Woods and Maria Bolton. The middle name he used in later life does not alter his birth or baptism records.

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 12 October 16 08:22 BST (UK) »
for Shanreagh & Aghadowey

Try these.

https://www.bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz/Search/Search?Path=querySubmit.m%3fReportName%3dDeathSearch%26recordsPP%3d30#SearchResults

https://www.bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz/Search/Search?Path=querySubmit.m%3fReportName%3dMarriageSearch%26recordsPP%3d30#SearchResults

Regards - Dinny.

Hi Dinny these are links to NZ search engines (not the actual records themselves) and being NZ records they will not have Irish birth or baptismal details. 

Quite common to find that middle names alter over time. Where have you obtained the birth records that show his name?

Offline gundoc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 06 November 16 01:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi all.  I have just got onto this website.  Thomas Woods was my great grandfather.  Robert William Woods was my grandfather, Thomas Sloan Woods was my father, and Thomas Bolton Woods was my great uncle (along with the rest of the brothers).  I have been working on a family tree and am particularly keen to go back earlier than Thomas Woods (GG).  I am also aware of a family connection to the Torrens family (I remember them as a child in either Torrens Road or Wrights Road, Ch-Ch).

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 06 November 16 10:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi all.  I have just got onto this website.  Thomas Woods was my great grandfather.  Robert William Woods was my grandfather, Thomas Sloan Woods was my father, and Thomas Bolton Woods was my great uncle (along with the rest of the brothers).  I have been working on a family tree and am particularly keen to go back earlier than Thomas Woods (GG).  I am also aware of a family connection to the Torrens family (I remember them as a child in either Torrens Road or Wrights Road, Ch-Ch).

Welcome to Rootschat. If you start at page 1 of this thread and read through you'll see that Thomas Woods (your great-grandfather) was born c1855 Tamlaght near Kilrea and his father's name was John.

Offline gundoc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 07 November 16 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks aghadowey!  I have already got a good bit of info from reading through these posts.

Offline gundoc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 07 November 16 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi aghadowey. Is there any info on John Woods?  Can you suggest a good place to seach for this earlier iformation?

Offline dinny

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 16:33 BST (UK) »
shanreagh
Thanks for your messaging.

NZ BDM     -  1928/877
Thomas Bolton Woods married Nancy Scott.   These 2 persons were my uncle and aunt.

Thomas Bolton Woods, son of Maria nee Bolton and Thomas Woods.   Maria Bolton/Woods was alive  at the time of Tom’s marriage to Nancy in 1928.  . 

Maria Bolton Woods died in 1947 at the age of 95 years:   NZ BDM 1947/24465  Woods Maria 95 years.   Maria did not change Tom’s name.

This tends to disagree with your argument re. names being changed after the mother has died.

Regards - Dinny.