Author Topic: Thomas WOODS Kilrea Co Derry - 1901 census  (Read 11075 times)

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas WOODS Kilrea Co Derry - 1901 census
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 23:14 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Not sure what this is all about.  If you are happy that is fine.

Aghadowey and I were just trying to point out that it is best to keep an open mind on names and middle names in particular.  This is especially important in emigration matters and where non literate people were explaining the names to clergy etc who some times put the version they were used to.    These often change over time and we set out some circumstances from our own families. 

I am pretty sure I did not say anybody had changed some thing.....just that usage sometimes changes over time.

Looking on the bright side you have another relative to explore possibly born in the year as your one and that his parents had very similar names to your relation.   Might be worth following that up?   

Offline dinny

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 12 July 17 02:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Shanreaagh - go back over your posts where you have addressed me.

None of my Woods family from Co Derry were illiterate - nor any descendants.  They did well in Ireland and certainly did well here.

I notice another relative has also asserted on the site that Thomas Bolton Woods is the correct name of our uncle born August 1900. 

Regards - Dinny.

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 12 July 17 04:37 BST (UK) »
 My point was to mention that names can change. Often brushes with officialdom caused the changes as officials made the records of what they heard.....The examples I used were examples to illustrate what may have happened..... an early middle names may have gone out of favour, a child in later life may have wanted to remember a mother's family names etc etc.  I was not saying that these instances definitely applied to you. 

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 12 July 17 04:55 BST (UK) »
I am assuming that you did read the extract from the register

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1900/01978/1762147.pdf

If you did not this was the Register copy ie an official copy of a series of births from Kilrea district in Coleraine.  Registered on 31/10/1900 was a birth of a Thomas McAuley Woods, a male child born on 26/9/1900 to parents Thomas Woods and Maria Woods formerly Bolton.  The birth was registered by the father.  If it is a possibility that this is a birth connected with your family then it is worth looking at.  At the time the birth was registered it seems that it was the intention of the parents to use the McAuley name. 

Perhaps you could give the link to the birth registration for your relative...he has a different birth date as well 15/8/1900 to the birth to these parents - Thomas and Maria Woods.   Perhaps the fathers were cousins?