Author Topic: James Hobley  (Read 13496 times)

Offline bobhobley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Bellingham, June 1950
    • View Profile
Re: James Hobley
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 15 January 12 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Liz,
This is good news.
I had identified Martha's husband as Richard Limath, but hadn't taken this line of research any further.
If you get any more information on Charles Hobley (b. 1735) do please let me know!
Regards..................Bob
Hobley
McMullin
Quinnell
Harrison (Scottish version pre 1900)

Offline Lizwest

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 23 January 12 03:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bob,
I haven't any new info on Charles, but from my family tree program, Charles was my 5th Great Grand Uncle, with Martha being my 5th Great Grandmother.
Cheers,
Liz Francis
Email address is no longer working sorry

Offline Oatway

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Hobley
« Reply #20 on: Monday 11 June 12 19:33 BST (UK) »
Anyone linked with the Hobleys of Brandon, Wolston, Warks from 1582?

Offline bobhobley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Bellingham, June 1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 09 May 13 23:44 BST (UK) »
Hi "Oatway".
Sorry I've only just picked up your post dated 11/06/12. What info do you have on the Hobleys of Brandon, Wolston, Warks?
My main interest is in the Hobleys of Cassington and Eynsham (Ensham) in Oxfordshire. The oldest memebr of this clan, that I can find, is Charles Hobley who married Sarah James in Ensham on 19/05/1767. I have a hypothesis that this Charles is the Charles Hobley who was born in Brailes Warks in 1735 - but have yet to prove it. The "Brailes" Charles Hobley has ancestors who apparently lived/were born in Barford, Warwick St Mary, and Leamington Hastings [Francis Hobley b.1613]. How close these are to Brandon, I don't know.
Does any of this fit into your researches?
Hobley
McMullin
Quinnell

Offline Chris Hobley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 11 May 18 01:18 BST (UK) »
Hi there, new to this site, but I came across this in my wanderings looking for information on the Oxfordshire Hobleys. There is a connection to the Warwickshire Hobleys that I am yet to unravel, but in Oxfordshire my family were from the Witney /Cassington/Leafield area.

My Great-great-grandfather was Charles, who married Lucy Goodrich, but I am having trouble getting any further up the tree (possibly because he moved to the area). He was a farmer, with sons Charles Goodrich Hobley (my great-grandfather) and William Henry Goodrich Hobley. Any information on these would be much appreciated.

Offline bobhobley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Bellingham, June 1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 11 May 18 16:52 BST (UK) »
The Oxfordshire Family History Society have created CDs of all the parish records (birth/deaths/marriages) for every parish in the county. They give a fascinating record of the lives of the people in Oxfordshire for 300 years or so and I highly recommend them to you.
The Cassington parish records will confirm that Charles Goodrich Hobley was born there in 1846 - to Charles Hobley and Lucy (?). Charles was also born in Cassington (in 1817) and Lucy was born, I believe, I Lidstone Oxfordshire (in 1827). The Cassington parish baptism records also show that the parents of Charles (b. 1817) were James Hobley and Sarah (nee Treadwell) who both subsequently died in Cassington.
Sarah Treadwell was born in Cassington, but you'll need to look in the Eynsham (aka "Ensham") parish records to find James's birth/baptism details. The Ensham records will also lead you to James parents and their marriage and death details.
Good luck
Hobley
McMullin
Quinnell

Offline Chris Hobley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 12 May 18 02:57 BST (UK) »
That's fantastic - thanks very much for the information. I'll follow up with the Oxfordshire FHS as you suggest. Lucy (nee Goodrich) and Charles may/may not have owned a farm in the Witney area (Lucy certainly lived on 100 acres after Charles' death, with Charles Goodrich listed as Farmer/Bailiff) but it would be good to confirm this aspect of family history.

Really appreciate the information on Charles parents - it seems to have been a popular name, and sorting them out is a bit difficult!

Offline Chris Hobley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 12 May 18 03:15 BST (UK) »
Hmm. Almost immediately running into the plethora of Charles Hobley problem  :D. On investigation, I am not sure the 1917 Charles is my man - I have Charles with Lucy definitively in the 1861 Census (with a birth date of C1821) and in the 1871 with a birth date of C1824.

I do have a Charles Hobley christened in Banbury (about 30 odd miles away) on Sep 28 1823, to Thomas and Elizabeth - but it's not really definitive. Maybe if I get hold of some of the original records I can get a bit more certainty.

Offline bobhobley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Bellingham, June 1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 12 May 18 17:20 BST (UK) »
Yes Charles Hobley (b. 1817) was indeed a farmer. In 1841 he was living with his two (twin?) sisters and farming in Cassington. By 1851 he had married Lucy and they were living/farming in Witney Lane, Leafield. By 1881, Charles had died and Lucy had taken over the farm with Charles Goodrich, his wife (Emma) and 4 of their children. By 1901 Lucy (then aged c. 74!) had given up the farm and was living with her daughter-in-law (Frances) in Chipping Norton.

I would suggest that you don't get too hung up on the "Banbury link" - yet! There obviously must be a link somewhere between the Cassington/Eynsham Hobleys and the Banbury ones, but I haven't yet found it. Also, I wouldn't read too much into some of the birth dates given in the census (especially the ladies')!! There seems to have been some "poetic licence" used with the odd year or three "adjustment" to the quoted d.o.b.! [Did you know that there is a "Hobley Lane" in Banbury?]
Hobley
McMullin
Quinnell