Author Topic: Albert Cornelius ATTREE  (Read 3469 times)

Offline treemaker15

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Albert Cornelius ATTREE
« on: Friday 25 November 11 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Albert emigrated to Toronto via Quebec in 1913 He arrived at Quebec on the 9 June 1913 with his 4 children:- Albert, Florence, Ernest & Reuben. His occupation on the ships manifest was shown as a Steelworker as was the three boys. There was no mention of his wife Lucy Ann Attree (nee Goacher). Albert died in 1957 in Scarborough, Ontario. I have tried to find out further details about his death but I have had no luck. Can anybody help with more details about his death and whether Lucy Ann ever made it to Canada.

Offline z

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Albert Cornelius ATTREE
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 November 11 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi treemaker15

Assuming I have the correct Albert, there is an Albert John Attree  b Sept 29 1888 although he gives his birthplace as London England amongst the Canada Soldiers of the First World War found on the National Archives of Canada website, and maybe just a coincidence but he lists his next of kin as mother - Lucy Attree 88 Beaconsfield Av Toronto.

Does this tie in with any info you have?

Regards

Z :)

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 November 11 15:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Do you know his full date of death?  I checked the Toronto Star online for his obit, and nothing came up with a name search for Attree in 1957.  I am currently trying some of the other names, but no luck yet.  If you know a specific date, that would help.  Sometimes this site's name search function isn't as good as you would like, and a date search is necessary.. :)

RK

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 November 11 15:22 GMT (UK) »
www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/cef/index-e.html

Soldiers of the First World War

Albert Attree
Reg. # 775601
b. Jan 24, 1871
88 Beaconsfield Ave, Toronto
next of kin - wife, Mrs. Lucy Attree
enlisted in Toronto Jan 1916

Albert J (John) Attree
Reg. # 9996
enlisted Sept. 1914 Valcartier, Quebec

You can view the attestation papers at the above site and using the reference information, you can order copies of the complete military files. There is a section on How to consult or order a copy. There are approximately 25 plus pages in each file such as pay documents, medical information, transfer to battalions which can give you information as to where the soldier actually served. The war diaries for most battalions are available at Library and Archives Canada. The files also give embarkation and debarkation info. The cost is well worth the information that you will receive.

It does appear that your initial request for information about Lucy has been answered though as she is given as nok on both her husband and sons attestation papers.

www.canada411.ca
is an online directory and only lists 26 names with some being in Ontario, others in BC and Nova Scotia. You could always take a chance and write a letter to a few of the names and see if you get a response.

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 November 11 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Just found Lucy Ann's obit.   It is in the February 26th edition of the Toronto Star - at page 22.  She died on Feb 25th 1947.  She was in her 87th year.  It gives her maiden name as Goacher.    She died at her son Rueben's home (in Toronto) after a lengthy illness.  Her husband is named and these are her kids:

May (Mrs W. C. Rowe) of Bowmanville, Ontario
Walter and George of England
Albert and Reuben of Toronto

She is buried at St Johns Norway cemetery in Toronto.   You might want to contact them and see who else may be buried with her...  

http://www.stjohnsnorway.com/pb/wp_ae806d06/wp_ae806d06.html

If you can get a death date for Albert, I can see if I can find an obituary.

RK

PS - If you want the actual obit, just PM me with your email address and I will send it to you.    

Offline vbain

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 November 11 16:49 GMT (UK) »
http://ocfa.islandnet.com/ocfa-search.php
Only one Attree (may not be related
Harriet, in St. John Anglican Churchyard
Windsor, Essex, Sandwich
#EX-SX-006
If you contact the Essex Genweb, they may be able to give a transcription.

Offline treemaker15

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 November 11 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to everybody who provided information about Albert Attree. I apologise for not replying sooner, but I have been unwell. It will take me some time to absorb all the information. I may need to come back to you all for more details.

Once again many thanks.

Treemaker15

Offline karla87

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 September 17 13:14 BST (UK) »
hi I'm also trying to look into this as albert Cornelius attree is on my family tree