Author Topic: Robert SPENCER died Oatlands Tasmania 1866  (Read 9759 times)

Offline Rutha1636

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert SPENCER died Oatlands Tasmania 1866
« on: Saturday 26 November 11 01:17 GMT (UK) »
Morning all

I have a relative Robert Spencer b 1807 in Huntingdonshire UK.  His Brother Arthur William Spencer b 1827 Norfolk UK
Parents Robert Spencer and Ann Kent (both died UK).

Arthur came to Tasmania I believe 1853 - Married Austinette Addis in Melbourne 1954 and then returned  to Tasmania where the first three children were born.
Edwin Addis Culloden spencer 1855
Sydney Charles spencer 1858
William Francis spencer 1857

I believe Arthur came to Tasmania to join his eldest brother after Arthur got in to a spot of bother with the Law in Yorkshire and his father died.

I am trying to work out whether the Robert Spencer who died oatlands Tasmania 1866 is my Robert Spencer born 1807 in Huntindonshire.

Record of death states he was 59 years old,(so birth would be correct)  a Brewer, and informant was a friend Emma Ellen.
Record of marriage 1843 to Esther Carroll names him a "Collecting Clerk" of full Age (if my robert he would be 36 yo)

I cannot determine whether the Robert who married Esther is the same Robert who died at oatlands and don't know if either of them are the Robert born Huntingdonshire UK.  I cannot determine how Robert came to Tasmania.  He is not listed with his family in the 1841 census in England.  There is a Robert who came out to Tasmania as a convict on the ship Isabella - convicted for forging, but pardoned after getting to Tasmania.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I might try to connect these Roberts and determine if they are mine?
Regards Ruth
Addis - London, Australia
Spencer - Godmanchester, Norfolk, Yorkshire, Australia
Tovey - Birmingham, Australia
Anderson - Kilconquar, Perth (Australia)

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robert SPENCER died Oatlands Tasmania 1866
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 November 11 03:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ruth,

A few more bits to add to the confusion:

The convict was a brewer
Tried in London
His description list has the notation "Chester" which is usually their native place
He was married to Elizabeth at Brisley, Norfolk and had one child

The entry from the Tombstones and Memorials Index of Tasmania states that the Robert who died in 1866 was born at Yarmouth, Norfolk.  This may be on his headstone, but sometimes it is info from other sources.

http://search.archives.tas.gov.au/ImageViewer/image_viewer.htm?CON31-1-40,262,38,L,80
http://search.archives.tas.gov.au/ImageViewer/image_viewer.htm?CON18-1-9,115,41,L,80

Debra  :)

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 November 11 03:37 GMT (UK) »
Robert SPENCER was tried at the Old Bailey in Feb 1833 and there is a full account here:
http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/forms/formMain.jsp

It confirms the details on his conduct record of previously being a school master and then a brewer.

Debra  :)

Offline Rutha1636

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 November 11 03:56 GMT (UK) »
Hmmm!
I have Robert Spencer marrying Elizabeth Secker in Oct 1825 in Bisley Norfolk.  The rest of Roberts family was in norfolk at that time. 
This Robert and Elizabeth had a daughter Frances Ann Spencer at Bisley, Norfolk in 1828, but i can find no futher evidence of her.

I have Elizabeth in 1841 Census as a Publican - so probably the right connection.  (Does not give marital status).  No Robert or Frances with her at that time.  Ann (middle name of Frances) was my Robert's name - Ann Kent. - long stretch and certainly no proof.
In 1851 Cenus Elizabeth is listed as a housekeeper and a widow.

So I feel confident that the Robert who died Oatlands in 1866 is the same Robert as above - and was transported on the Isabella for forging.  Interestly my Robert's father was an Excise man - so I expect that Robert would have been able to read and write - and hence acted as school teacher in Tasmania.

So if I have established the Oatland's connection  - I think the marriage - Esther Carroll - I think that family had some connection to Oatlands.  Off to check now.
Ruth

Offline Rutha1636

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 November 11 04:24 GMT (UK) »
The first child of Robert Spencer and Esther Carroll was born in Oatlands Tasmania.  Her name Adeline Spencer married William Gerrand in Oatlands and brought up their family there.

I knew there was a connection!   :o

So now - I am fairly confident in:
Robert Spencer married Elizabeth Secker in Norfolk 1825 and was transported on the isabella to Tasmania in 1833.  He remarried Esther Carroll in Tasmania and settled in Oatlands raising a family. He died in 1866 at Oatlands.  Was both a School teacher and a Brewer. 

Dates fit - death and 26 years old at transportation - gives DOB of 1807.

If i could just find out his parent's names - I could be confident that this Robert is my Robert
"Ruth

Offline Rutha1636

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 November 11 05:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello Dundee

Thank you so much for your help and links.  I ddn't know you could get the old bailey on line.

I have accepted this Robert spencer convict as my dearly beloved Great x2 grand uncle!  Ah well - as they say if you haven't got a convict in your background you can adopt ones.
Regards ruth

Offline johngirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Dad and his cousins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 November 11 05:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ruth,

Here is a link to an obituary of Robert Spencers daughter Esther.It gives you a bit of information on him.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/29203588?

Johngirl
JOHN- Pembrokeshire Wales.  FREEMAN -England?
MEDLICOT -Monmouthshire Wales.
ISAAC -Gloucestershire and Liverpool.[Toxteth Park] SNOW- England .Convict. FRAZER- England.Convict.
DEAL -Ireland .Convict.
KEMP -Saint Mary Cray Kent.Eynsford Wilmington England.Convict.
BLACKBERRY -Whitechapel .Convict. CONDON -alias
DUFFY-Brighton England. Convict.
BANTICK -Ixworth Sussex England. Convict.
JONES England????[George]Convict.
ROSE-England. Convict.
All came to Tas

Offline Annette laskowski

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 October 15 09:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruth, I have just begun to research both my mother's family and my father's family. At present I am just constructing my tree and have just registered with rootschat.com and have come across you there and although I have not yet become a paid member of ancestry.com I have seen some of your entries there.
I think we are related as we share some relatives!
Robert Spencer is also related to me.
My name is
Annette Laskowski nee Annette Spencer,
daughter of Reginald,
Grand daughter of Frank,
Gr. Grand daughter of Edwin A C Spencer, 
G, G, Granddaughter of Arthur William and Austinette Addis.

I am not sure of your tree as I can't see it on ancestry until I become a paid member, so I am not sure how we are related.
Just thought you might like to know and I may be able to give you some info too. But I am not sure how we can communicate if you want to.

Annette

Offline Rutha1636

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 October 15 21:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Annette
You are my third cousin - welcome to the family and to the ancestry family as well!  It was lovely to hear from you - I don't think we can post an email here, but when you get onto ancestry you will be able to see my tree.  I don't even think you need to be a paid member to put up a tree.

Arthur William Spencer and Austinette Addis are my 2xG Grandparents as well.
G-grandparents - Arthur Alexander Spencer and Margaret Armstrong
Grandparents - Gertrude Spencer and Joseph Tovey
Parents - Ida Tovey and Adrian Anderson

Robert Spencer is eldest brother of Arthur William.  Robert was transported to Tasmania in 1833 for uttering a forged cheque.  He left a wife in Norfolk (England) and remarried in Tas.  Many of his descendents still live in Tasmania.

If you google Arthur William Spencer you will find a website on genetracer.net.  This is set up by another descendent - but through Eleanor spencer line.  You may get some contact details there again.
Regards Ruth