Author Topic: Robert SPENCER died Oatlands Tasmania 1866  (Read 9747 times)

Offline Annette laskowski

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert SPENCER died Oatlands Tasmania 1866
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 04 October 15 10:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruth!
Thanks for your reply...this is so exciting as a "beginner researcher" to see that my ancestors are "living on" via so many other people/relatives already honouring their memory on the internet!!! What a time we live in to enable us to relatively easily access our roots! Having said that I am finding it overwhelming to see what is available for me to delve into once I find enough time to dedicate to this, my newest project. Maybe I am approaching it the wrong way and would like your advice please. I thought I would track down as many names as possible for the tree following both my parents roots before paying for ancestry membership to access and print off specific records. Having said that, I need to be able to find the time to dedicate to the research whilst baby sitting even more members of the family tree :)
At first I thought ' try a month membership ' but now I think it might be better to get an annual membership so I don't feel so much pressure...leading to addiction :) . I might be able to flit in and out with less pressure. How did you approach your research as I see you originally posted your initial query about Robert Spencer 4 years ago!
Thankyou for the genetracer.net site. I will look into that asap. Thanks for the welcome to the family at my age of 63  ;) but particularly to the ancestry family! Your contact has now brought the process more alive and has encouraged me and made me feel more secure in joining ancestry. It seems to be a great site and worth it.
3 x Cousin Annette!

Offline TasTyger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 08 October 15 21:54 BST (UK) »
Photo of Robert Spencer's headstone, St Peter's Anglican church at Oatlands -

http://www.gravesoftas.com.au/municipalities/Oatlands/St%20Peters%20Oatlands/Spencer%20Robert.JPG

Cheers,

Peter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 10 October 15 13:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you Peter. Are you also a relative of Robert Spencer? Annette

Offline TasTyger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 10 October 15 23:51 BST (UK) »
Not a descendant but my direct line family would have been resident in Oatlands at the same time as Robert Spencer.

Some members of my family are buried in St Peter's Anglican graveyard as well. Just thought it would be of interest of see Robert's headstone...

Cheers,

Peter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 11 October 15 00:46 BST (UK) »
Yes it is interesting to see and hopefully I can make a trip sometime to see it in person! Thanks again! Annette

Offline ferret1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 11 March 16 18:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi all
I'm descended from Robert's brother Henry through his 1st wife Mary Hempstock. There was a TV programme on last night (UK) and it told the story of 3 siblings (girls) who were part of a criminal gang. 2 of the sisters were transported, 1 to Australia and the other to Tasmania - the one who went to Tasmania made good and among her descendants were judges and the Premier (I assume that's like a President or Prime Minister???) so I was really interested to see that Robert also made good and was some sort of legal person - cant find that reference now.
Happy to share info via this site or personal e-mail.
Ferret1
CARR, HARCOURT, JERMY, REEDER, SPENCER, WATERS, BOYS, DOUGHTY - NFK
CHILTON, COOPER, CRAMPTON, LEE/S, SMEDLEY, SHARPE - NTTS
COOPER, DENNIS, JENNINGS, KNIGHTS, LOWTHER,   WALSHAM - CAMBS
FISHER, BULL, GARROOD, MARRIOTT, PIPE - SFK,
HOLT, MANNERS, RUSSEL/L, BERRIDGE - LINCS
LOWTHER - NORTHANTS
TYRWHIT - ANY
WHICHCOT/E - ANY
BERRIDGE - RUTLAND
BOYS - KENT

Offline Rutha1636

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 11 March 16 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ferret
I am descended from the youngest child of the family, Arthur William Spencer. He went from Yorkshire to Tasmania in 1853 - not transported.  I do not believe Robert was in any way a legal person.  He was a teacher in England and was transported for uttering a forged cheque.  He had a wife alive, and daughter dead at the time of transportation.  He remarried in Australia while his wife in England was still alive.  Wife is listed in 1841 census as brewer/publican.  Robert was joined by brother Arthur and they also operated a brewing company in Tasmania but that was insolvent in 1855.  Arthur had married in 1854 had 3 sons in Tasmania, but then moved to Bendigo in Victoria.  Bendigo at that time was a gold rush area.  He was insolvent again in 1879, and in 1887 at the age of 60 he was in court for beating his wife.  I believe his wife left him around that time as in 1894 his wife is not present with him.  His wife moved to Cue/Day Dawn in the Murchison area of Western Australia to join another son Arthur Alexander Spencer (my great grandfather) and his family in the  WA goldfields.  She died there in 1909 and her husband died in Bendigo the following year - buried in pauper's grave.
Do you know what became of the 2 sisters Harriot and Louisa?
If you have an ancestry profile, I would be happy to give you access to my tree which has a fair amount of information about the Australian side of this family.  BTW the Premier is not Prime Minister or President.  Australia has a Prime Minister who covers the whole of Aus as does your PM, the Premier is the top politician in each State.  so Tasmania, Victoria, Western Australia etc all have a Premier.  Regards Ruth
Addis - London, Australia
Spencer - Godmanchester, Norfolk, Yorkshire, Australia
Tovey - Birmingham, Australia
Anderson - Kilconquar, Perth (Australia)

Offline ferret1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 13 March 16 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ruth
I was sure that I read somewhere Robert did something in the legal trade - do you think one of his children was linked to the legal trade in some way? I will keep searching!
When you say Louisa and Harriot do you mean Robert's sisters? If so then I think Louisa died in Retford, Nottinghamshire in 1882, Harriot; I'm not sure.
Thanks for the info about the Premier; a bit like some of our counties that have Mayors maybe?
I do have a profile on Ancestry (gillcarney) and have a lot more info on the Spencer family going back to Thomas Spencer b. c. 1690 in Liverpool. I'm more than happy to give you access if you request it.
Good to make contact, Gill
CARR, HARCOURT, JERMY, REEDER, SPENCER, WATERS, BOYS, DOUGHTY - NFK
CHILTON, COOPER, CRAMPTON, LEE/S, SMEDLEY, SHARPE - NTTS
COOPER, DENNIS, JENNINGS, KNIGHTS, LOWTHER,   WALSHAM - CAMBS
FISHER, BULL, GARROOD, MARRIOTT, PIPE - SFK,
HOLT, MANNERS, RUSSEL/L, BERRIDGE - LINCS
LOWTHER - NORTHANTS
TYRWHIT - ANY
WHICHCOT/E - ANY
BERRIDGE - RUTLAND
BOYS - KENT

Offline Jan Godfrey Taylor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 00:28 BST (UK) »
Ruth. Are you still searching for info on Robert Spencer.