Author Topic: Rose of Kilravock  (Read 17444 times)

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
Rose of Kilravock
« on: Sunday 27 November 11 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know whether Elizabeth Rose is still alive?
If not, who is the current Chief of Clan Rose?

I do know that she made over Kilravock to a religious order.
Possibly a castle is more a liability than an asset these days,
but I still find it sad that the laird has to live in the gate lodge
or gardener's cottage.

Not even quite sure where Kilravock is:
should I be posting this on the Inverness forum?
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rose of Kilravock
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 November 11 14:37 GMT (UK) »
As far as I know she is in a care home.
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline theresaw1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 December 11 08:52 GMT (UK) »
kilravock castle is situated between the village of croy and clephanton. I do beleive baroness rose is in a nursing home in nairn. I worked in the castle for 7 years under various managers and it was a lovely place to work, hope this helps you.

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 December 11 09:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Theresaw.

I appreciate that you joined RootsChat specially to send me that reply.
Hope you get something out of it yourself!

____ Hugh
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline heedrapper

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 January 12 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hugh,
I have been trying to find out the same thing for while now.
It is true that she gifted ‘Kilravock’ to a Christian charity, and it is now being run as a Bed and Breakfast, although the guests are annexed, and access to the main Castle is limited. I had heard it suggested, that her nephew  DAVID HUGH HERIOT BAIRD, had added his mother’s surname of ROSE to his and is (or will become) the new Chief of the Clan.
If you wish to find more on ‘The Rose Clan’ click the world icon below left on this reply. The Title of Chief, has been handed down in an unbroken line, since Hugh, 1st of Kilravock in 1250, until now. This is unique in Scottish history.
SCOTLAND:
Rose of Kilravock,
Roses in Peebles-shire,
Roses in Aberdeenshire

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 January 12 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, heedrapper.

I'd also heard that David Baird was the heir designate, and had changed his name, but wasn't sure whether Elizabeth had had second thoughts, and whether he inherits anything at all (except perhaps the title).

My connection is via Elizabeth's mother, maiden name Guillemard.

Offline heedrapper

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 January 12 16:56 GMT (UK) »
I saw that in your 'interests'. There are lots of Guillemards in my Kilravock tree.
SCOTLAND:
Rose of Kilravock,
Roses in Peebles-shire,
Roses in Aberdeenshire

Offline mjbecker

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 09 June 12 18:47 BST (UK) »
We visited Kilvarock Castle in 2008. At that time Anna Elizabeth Guillemard was still alive but in a care home in Nairns, as stated above. She since died (in 2010). I have not been able to confirm who would become the 26th Baron of Kilravock, but David Hugh Heriot Baird Rose (*1946) looks like the next in line, accepting that the title can pass on via female heirs (as it clearly does). I believe it was Elizabeth Rose (1747-1815) who fought a prolonged legal battle to be awarded the title as 19th Baroness, the first lady in the line of Kilravock.

Can anyone confirm a) the rules for passing on the baron title in the Rose of Kilvarock line and b) whether David Hugh's accepted the title?
Starting from the Rose-Innes, anything related to the Rose of Kilravock going back to Le Sir de Ros in 1020!

Offline heedrapper

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 09 June 12 19:17 BST (UK) »
Hi mjbecker,

I’m sad to hear of the death of Anna Elizabeth. And thank you for joining rootschat to tells us.
I’m sure you are also correct about David Baird (Rose)
This is taken from my rootwebs page......
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=heedrapper&id=I3473

Heir-line versus Heir-male.
An important question of succession now arose. There was no doubt that issue of the last Baron having failed, the nearest male heir of line was Dr Rose of Broadley, whilst it was equally clear that Mrs Elizabeth was the nearest heir whatsoever, and the question the courts had to decide was whether it was Dr Rose's first born son James by Margaret Russell or his second wife Elizabeth Rose and her son who were entitled to the estates. Litigation was at once entered upon. It was the great 'causa celebre' of the time. The Rev. James Rose of Oakham, near Ripley, in Surrey, as uncle and tutor to the children of the first marriage, took up their cause, and Mr Francis Russell, of Westfield, Advocate, as tutor dative, pursued it still more actively. Poor Mrs Elizabeth records that she entered on the contest to maintain her rights of succession, "without friends or means against a powerful opposition." She was a brave woman, and was animated and sustained all through the prolonged litigation by the feeling that she was seeking to preserve the ancient heritage to the rightful heir. In 1783 the Court of Session decided practically in her favour, to the great joy of the district. When the tidings of the decision arrived, there were bonfires, dancing, and general rejoicing at Nairn and Kilravock. The case was appealed to the House of Lords, but four years later the decision in her favour was confirmed. The old lands and barony of Kilravock became hers, but Geddes, which stood on a different footing, fell to James Rose, as nearest heir male. It turned out that in creating a faggot vote on Kilravock Barony for his brother Lewis, the old Laird, her father, had whether intentional or not is not clear made the property to revert on his brother's death to himself, "or his nearest heirs whatsoever in fee." The fortunate clause enabled Mrs Elizabeth, with her son and her mother, to return to the home of her forefathers, where for the remainder of her life she ruled and reigned, not only as mistress of Kilravock, but as Queen of Nairnshire.

Bill Rose
SCOTLAND:
Rose of Kilravock,
Roses in Peebles-shire,
Roses in Aberdeenshire