Author Topic: Link: 1843 Trade Directory  (Read 6192 times)

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Link: 1843 Trade Directory
« on: Monday 28 November 11 11:03 GMT (UK) »
1843 - "Directory to gentleman's seats, villages etc., in Scotland" (Giving the counties in which they are situated - the post-towns to which they are attached and the name of the resident)

http://www.archive.org/stream/directorytogentl00find/directorytogentl00find_djvu.txt

Choose either 'Read online' or 'PDF'.

Fantastic resource!!   ;D

Anne

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1843 Directory
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 November 11 05:03 GMT (UK) »
And if that's not the right year, that site has over 700 Scottish directories available, up to 1912.

Not all counties represented, but lots for Lanarkshire, Midlothian, Renfrewshire, Angus/Forfar, Aberdeenshire, also Perthshire, Ayrshire and even a few for Stirlingshire.

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 November 11 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Dawn!

I believe these are all accessible through the National Library of Scotland, if, of course, you happen have a membership. (Which I do but was unaware of their existance).

Anne

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 November 11 14:36 GMT (UK) »
No, you do not need to have a membership for NLS.

Archive.org has digitised them all for NLS, and NLS has made them all free online to look at, or download as .pdf files, via www.archive.org .  They are, of course, none of them under copyright.

Believe me - I'm overseeing cataloguing them all for our FHS library!

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)