Author Topic: Tandragee Cemetry Lookup  (Read 31928 times)

Offline Paula Griffiths

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Tandragee Cemetry Lookup
« on: Monday 24 March 08 22:15 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find more information, in particular parents for the following person and his descendants from Tandragee and/or Cargans and was hoping to make contact with somewho from the area who may be able to assist with Cemetery Lookups etc.

My interests:

William Bennett born circa 1793 died 1877 married Anne Rennie born circa 1810 and they children:

Johnathon Bennett born circa 1814 (died Australia)
George Bennett born cica 1818 (died Australia)
William Bennett born circa 1821 (died Australia)
Robert Bennett born circa 1827 died 26 June 1912 Tandragee married Elizabeth Anne Redpath 1847: had one child: Robert Bennett born circa 1848 married in Australia.

I believe that this particular family was Catholic.

Any information on the Bennett family in Tandragee would be most helpful, as I know a number of other people looking for Bennetts in Tandragee and thus far we cannot make a connection; (Robert Bennett married Jane Guy with children Mary born c1833 and Elizabeth born c1847)
Many thanks in advance,

Paula

Offline Andrew Hodgson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tandragee Cemetry Lookup
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 June 09 12:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Paula,

Elizabeth Macduff (nee Bennett) died in Thames, NZ, in 1911.

She was my GG grandmother.

Her older sister Margaret Brown died in Ashburton, NZ in 1898. She as also one of my GG grandmothers.

I have a bit of information about Margaret and Elizabeth and their families if you are interested?

Kind regards,

Andrew Hodgson

Offline Andrew Hodgson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 June 09 02:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Paula,

Robert and Jane Bennett, who you mentioned in your original enquiry, lived in Cargans, an area of Tandragee in Northern Ireland. They had numerous children, of whom 4 or 5 moved to New Zealand, including my great great grandmothers.

The elder of the 2 sisters that went to NZ, Margaret, married a bloke by the name of Henry Bennett also from Tandragee, but from the Tullyhue area.

The younger of the 2 sisters, Elizabeth, married a man by the name of William Macduff, originally from Scotland.

Henry Bennett's father was also named Henry, and He and Robert Bennett were brothers from what I can recall.

This could possibly explain two Bennett families in Tandragee, however I do recall reading that back then, 2 out of 3 people who lived in Tandragee were Bennett's.  In those days, people never moved. They stayed where they were born, got married, farmed, had children and died basically.

As far as I know, Margaret and Elizabeth were very staunch Orange women, so I can only guess that their parents, Robert and Jane, were as well.

Did you know that one of the Bennets from Tandragee was either a mayor or a councillor with the Melbourne City Council?

I look forward to hearing from you again,

Kind regards,

Offline aljepeka

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 June 09 22:42 BST (UK) »
hi,

check out these two links. They  mention quite a few Bennetts from the Tandragee  and Poyntzpass area. I thought one was particularly interesting which states when the family first arrived in the area from England. 
They  may or  may not relate to your particular family but not ventured nothing gained.....

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~lzrslong/b308.htm

http://www.thepeerage.com/p28726.htm

Regards , Aljepeka
HARVEY-Drumnagoon/Seagoe/Portadown
McMURRAY,GIBSON,FITZSIMMONS-Crossmacaughley/Crossmacahilly/Moyraverty/Portadown
WOODS-Knocknamuckley/Portadown
CARDWELL,MORELAND-Dromore/Dromara/Waringstown
BOWEN-Tipperary
FREEBURN-Tartaraghan/Drumcree/Derrylard/Portadown

Offline Paula Griffiths

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 June 09 05:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Aljepeka,

yes recently saw the Peerage and am so looking forward to connecting our families!

Thanks for the posting.

Offline RykBrown

• RootsChat Extra
  • Stewarts of Balquhidder Research Group, Admin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 October 09 20:34 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth Macduff (nee Bennett) ...Her older sister Margaret Brown died in Ashburton, NZ in 1898. She as also one of my GG grandmothers.
I have a bit of information about Margaret and Elizabeth and their families if you are interested?
Andrew Hodgson

Andrew
I am very interested in learning more about your Margaret Brown from Tandragee.  There was only one Brown family that I'm aware of in Tandragee and they are mine.
My website is here: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rykbrown/brown.htm
You may contact me at (*)
Ryk Brown
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

BROWN (Armagh), STEWART of Balquhidder (s-w Perthshire), GILLESPIE (s-w Perthshire), ORD (Berwickshire), TAIT (Northumberland), JONES (Flintshire), LIPTROT (Bolton, Lancashire), DOBSON (Lancashire), DUNCAN (Glasgow), HUNTER (Glasgow), SHARPE (Derbyshire), CUTHBERT (Morayshire), BELL (North Tyndale, Northumberland), DAWSON (West Allendale, Northumberland), BRIDGMAN (Derbyshire).

Offline Andrew Hodgson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 October 09 22:06 BST (UK) »
Gidday Ryck,

Margaret was born a Bennett and was married twice, first to a Henry Bennett, from the same town in Northern Ireland, probably a cousin, and then in NZ, she remarried a man with the surname Brown.

I'm not to sure whether he was from Northern Ireland or elsewhere.

Regards

Offline RykBrown

• RootsChat Extra
  • Stewarts of Balquhidder Research Group, Admin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 October 09 22:30 BST (UK) »
Andrew
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.  Sounds like it's probably not a connection.  I got excited when I saw "Brown" and "Tandragee" 'cause there's only one family.  But, alas, your connection was post-emigration.  Thanks anyway.
Ryk

Dear Mod
Please accept my apology for missing that in the board rules.  I tried to PM, but didn't realize I needed three to make that work.  Thanks for setting me straight.
Ryk
BROWN (Armagh), STEWART of Balquhidder (s-w Perthshire), GILLESPIE (s-w Perthshire), ORD (Berwickshire), TAIT (Northumberland), JONES (Flintshire), LIPTROT (Bolton, Lancashire), DOBSON (Lancashire), DUNCAN (Glasgow), HUNTER (Glasgow), SHARPE (Derbyshire), CUTHBERT (Morayshire), BELL (North Tyndale, Northumberland), DAWSON (West Allendale, Northumberland), BRIDGMAN (Derbyshire).

Offline lloyd_sym

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 26 June 10 06:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Paula

I don't know if this helps or not. But I was in Tandragee in 2003 and I found a number of Redpaths and one Bennet in the Parish Of Ballymore, St Mark's Church.

The Bennet (only one t) inscription reads:

This is the burying place of William Bennet
Here lyeth his son George Bennet Aged Eight years Departed in 1742

Of course, this a bit early but it might be of use to you. I have photos of the Redpath graves also. I can make no connection to Elizabeth Ann Redpath though

I have a photo from which I have just read the Bennet inscription if you'd like it.

Incidently, my mother (Robert Bennet's grandaughter) tells me that Robert Bennett's farm in Victoria was called "Laureldale" I have just discovered that there is a "LaurelVALE" in or near Tandragee. Unfortunately I didn't know this when I was there!  Does this ring any bells?

I presume from you previous message that you know the details of Robert's passage to Australia. (That he travelled alone to join his Mother who had travelled some years earlier)

cheers
Lloyd