Author Topic: Tandragee Cemetry Lookup  (Read 31927 times)

Offline Merryjohn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tandragee Cemetry Lookup
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 12:10 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have just found the site and read through the messages. The 'book' seems to be a little astray from the truth. Robert Bennett was the stone mason and city councilor 1861 - 1862. When John Bennett, wife Septima and children including son Edward arrived in Australia in 1852 they were delivered to a Robert Bennett at the Globe Inn in Swanston Street, Melbourne. John (or Johnathan) had two brothers already in Victoria - George and William who both had land in the Burwood area now known as Bennettswood. Edward was later to have land there and was on the Box Hill Council for a while. They are mentioned quite frequently in Andrew Lemon's 'History of Box Hill'. I have not been able to prove a relationship between Robert and the three brothers - but believe there must be one. The key seems to be finding William's (senior) siblings and parents.
I also believe that it was another family ancestor who was in the Maori Wars.
Edward was my g.g.grandfather.
Merry

Offline moonah

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 05 March 11 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi All, New to this site, but have been following with interest the posts, particularly regarding my great great grandfather Robert Bennett who was born in Tandragee in 1822. He was Mayor of Melbourne and served in the first Legislative Assembly in Vic. He also appeared in a Royal Commission regarding land deals. He owned the Globe Hotel, building it after a days work, quarrying bluestone from the Merri Creek and working by candle light. He owned a large home in St Kilda, called Tandragee House and held many pastoral runs, particularly around Hattah National park, towards Mildura. There are wells in the area still bearing his name. He was a colourful and interesting man. My sister edited a book entitled "A Stonemason's Journey" about his life. It is available in Vic through inter library loans. According to his death info Robert's father was also Robert Bennett. My parents have been lucky enough to visit the remains of the Bennett home in Tandragee and are in regular contact with Bennett descendants there. Merry, it is with great interest I looked at your photo of Edward. I have a photo of Robert and there is quite a similarity.
Regards

Offline Merryjohn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 07 March 11 08:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Moonah, Thanks for the reply - perhaps Robert senior and William were brothers? I will be seeking the Stonemasons life story at the library.  M

Offline imojens

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 16 October 11 10:23 BST (UK) »
Hi there
I am a descendent of John Redpath (1842-1882) who emigrated to NSW in 1866. I have just found out that he is from Tadragee, parents were John Redpath and Jane Blake.

You mentioned that you had some photos of Redpath graves. I was just wondering if it was possible to post them on the site?

He also had 3 siblings that I know of, Joseph, Eliza and Ann Jane. I believe that the sisters ended up in NZ but not sure what happened to Joseph. I also know that both he and his father were stone masons- so may have had some connection with the Bennetts you have mentioned.

I would be so grateful for any information at all.

Kind regards,

Nicola

Offline Musli

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Henrietta James born in India
« Reply #22 on: Monday 28 November 11 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to jump in with unrelated stuff but I'm new to this site and am trying to contact "Orangelil" who replied in 2010 to a message called "Tandragee Cemetry Lookup". (She has most recently posted to this message) she said she was reading a book borrowed from a friend called 'Tandragee Remembers' and there was a chapter about those who emmigrated to Australia. I was wondering if you see this message and you still have the book if there were any of the Hyde family mentioned in that chapter. John and Ann Jane). Help would be hugely appreciated

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 28 November 11 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. I've moved your post to the Tandragee thread in case someone else can help you if orangelil can't.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Paula Griffiths

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 24 June 12 08:25 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone - it has been some time since I was looking at this branch of my family and when a conversation over the weekend focused on William Bennett and Anne Rennie I thought I must log on a check the progress.

It still seems so many of us are trying to connect the dots between William and his family.  Something very interesting my aunt mentioned to me, was that her husband at some time started searching for Anne through a similar name of Reaney/Rainey as this was apparently a name also in Tandragee and Cargans and could possibly be the connection we are looking for.

It is possible that someone has information on these names and can see whether it is possible that there was a transcript error for Annes surname.

Has anyone else had any success within this line of the family?  Would love to hear.

Warm regards,
Paula

Offline jaybee1946

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 10 August 12 08:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Paula,Have you any further info on the connection between Johnathan Bennett [ father of Edward Arthur ] and Robert Bennett. Have been able to source info about Robert, the Globe Inn etc - he is a relative of the current Lord Mayor of Melbourne, Robert Doyle who has Bennett as one of  his christian names.
 Janne Blacker great great granddaughter of Edward Arthur

Offline Paula Griffiths

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 10 August 12 08:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Janne,

Yes I saw that connection, even though Ive managed to find more researchers in the same family, no-one has been able to make the connection - I think we will have to see if we can get someone on the ground to look in local records etc.  Every few months or so I have another look and see what I can find but always hit a brick wall as I can only rely on online records.

Cheers,
Paula