Author Topic: Tandragee Cemetry Lookup  (Read 31975 times)

Offline lloyd_sym

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tandragee Cemetry Lookup
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 26 June 10 07:04 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I made a mistake, I actually found TWO Bennetts. And the second one has two t's and is a little later.

This one reads

Here lieth the body of the late George Bennett of Pointzpais who departed this life February 22nd 1825 aged 55 years Also his wife Jane Bennett who departed this life 25th May 1824 aged 62 years

Same Churchyear: St Marks in Tandragee. I have photo of course which I just used to read the inscription.

cheers
Lloyd

Offline lloyd_sym

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 26 June 10 07:17 BST (UK) »
More corrections: I just did some digging on the links mentioned earlier and found

George BENNET was born in 1768 in Lancashire Or Northumberland, England. He died on 22 Feb 1823 in Poyntzpass, County Armagh.He was buried Unknown in Tandragee Church. He is reference number 40002.

This is our George. And when I put my glasses on, I realised that my photo shows only 1 t and George's birth year is 1823 not 1825.

So the inscription is actually:

Here lieth the body of the late George Bennet of Pointzpais who departed this life February 22nd 1823 aged 55 years Also his wife Jane Bennet who departed this life 25th May 1824 aged 62 years

Hope this is of interest to somebody... Happy to supply photos to those that wish to verify my dodgy transcriptions!

cheers
Lloyd

Offline Paula Griffiths

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 26 June 10 09:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Lloyd,

Great work, I have sent you a message offline, I am just trying to establish which of "our George" this is.  Any photos you have will be great to see.  As you may know I am stuck on William Bennett and his wife Anne Rennie.

Looking forward to bridging the gap!

Offline orangelil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 30 June 10 16:28 BST (UK) »
I am just looking through a book about Tandragee and have found mention of John and Edward  Bennett just in case it helps with your families:

John Bennett operated a stone masonry business in Tandragee
Emigrated to Australia 1842
Continued as a stonemason in Melbourne with a very successful business - The Globe Hotel being one of the buildings he constructed
Elected Mayor of Melbourne in 1861 and 1862

Edward Bennett born Tandragee 13/07/1834
Emigrated to Australia 1851 on 'London' and took 4 months to get there
When he landed in Victoria, Melbourne was a village
He took part in the Gold Rush (1851-60s)
1886 He joined up with the volunteers against the Maoris
Celebrated his 109th birthday in Briagolong 1943
At this time he had 153 living descendants inc 7 sons, 4 daughters, 63 grandchildren and 79 great grandchildren

Karen

McGarvey (Belfast/ Cookstown), Robinson (Belfast), Rice (Saintfield), McDonald (Glasgow/ Belfast), Totton (Glenavy), Thompson (Belfast), Craig (Belfast), O'Rawe (Randalstown, Belfast), Philips (Belfast), Matthews (Belfast), Lavery (Belfast), McAree (Belfast), Edwards (Belfast), Drain (Ballymoney), Ferguson (Belfast)  http://mcgarveygenealogy.blogspot.com/

Offline orangelil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 30 June 10 16:36 BST (UK) »
Ryk
Just turned the page of the book about Tandragee and found a note that Private Alexander Brown (born ballyshiel c1805) was part of the British Expeditionary Force sent to China during the first Opium war.

26th Regiment of Foot (Cameronian)
listed as 5'5 in height with fair hair, hazel eyes and a fair complexion
Enlisted at Gibraltar 21/07/1818 aged 13, discharged 26/10/1846 aged 41 due to ill health brought on by bouts of fever and dysentry sustained serving abroad. 
Service included 14 years in India and 10 months in China.

Karen
McGarvey (Belfast/ Cookstown), Robinson (Belfast), Rice (Saintfield), McDonald (Glasgow/ Belfast), Totton (Glenavy), Thompson (Belfast), Craig (Belfast), O'Rawe (Randalstown, Belfast), Philips (Belfast), Matthews (Belfast), Lavery (Belfast), McAree (Belfast), Edwards (Belfast), Drain (Ballymoney), Ferguson (Belfast)  http://mcgarveygenealogy.blogspot.com/

Offline Paula Griffiths

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 01 July 10 08:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen,

Thankyou for the information, can you please advise which book you are referring from.  Also does it mentioned that Edward and John were brothers?

Many thanks for your help.

Paula

Offline orangelil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 01 July 10 12:36 BST (UK) »
The book is simply called 'Tandragee Remembers' by Richard Newell, a local man.  I have borrowed it from a friend.  It remembers those who died or served in war since Tandragee was founded.  It is very interesting however there is no index of names which is frustrating.

The note on John and Edward is under the heading 'The colonisation of Australia' (1788-1868).
While they are both in the same paragraph as if they were brothers/family, the book does not explicitly say they are brothers.

I can't seem to find a contact for the author in the book, but I will see if I can contact him to ask for his source for this info.

Karen

Offline Paula Griffiths

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 01 July 10 23:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen,

Many thanks for your help - it can be quite difficult being this far away in Australia sometimes.

Again, thankyou

Paula

Offline RykBrown

• RootsChat Extra
  • Stewarts of Balquhidder Research Group, Admin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 05 July 10 17:50 BST (UK) »
Ryk
Just turned the page of the book about Tandragee and found a note that Private Alexander Brown (born ballyshiel c1805) was part of the British Expeditionary Force sent to China during the first Opium war.

26th Regiment of Foot (Cameronian)
listed as 5'5 in height with fair hair, hazel eyes and a fair complexion
Enlisted at Gibraltar 21/07/1818 aged 13, discharged 26/10/1846 aged 41 due to ill health brought on by bouts of fever and dysentry sustained serving abroad. 
Service included 14 years in India and 10 months in China.

Karen

Karen, Thank you very much for this information.  I have attached it to my research leads.
Ryk
BROWN (Armagh), STEWART of Balquhidder (s-w Perthshire), GILLESPIE (s-w Perthshire), ORD (Berwickshire), TAIT (Northumberland), JONES (Flintshire), LIPTROT (Bolton, Lancashire), DOBSON (Lancashire), DUNCAN (Glasgow), HUNTER (Glasgow), SHARPE (Derbyshire), CUTHBERT (Morayshire), BELL (North Tyndale, Northumberland), DAWSON (West Allendale, Northumberland), BRIDGMAN (Derbyshire).