Author Topic: Jimmy Wilde (the famous boxer), any info on family connection?  (Read 11059 times)

Offline haydon

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Jimmy Wilde (the famous boxer), any info on family connection?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 04 December 11 11:24 GMT (UK) »
any idea  their birth dates or when they got married have found marriage 1902 is this correct or where they got married still trying to find connection to jimmy wilde  all the best  haydon  . gillgrass family in llanilleth are related to my grand father
gillgrass or gilgrass  berkshire aberdare and rhondda vallies  tilley  bristol  easley rhondda  savery  bristol

Offline Thom123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 04 December 11 14:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Haydon,
My Grandfathers parents were married around 1888, I have some census details on them. William was a coal miner, not sure which pit though.
I should have asked more questions when both my Granparents were alive, but I was quite young then. My Grandmothers family were from Aberdare.
Have you been researching your family tree long? How far have you got?
Cheers
Karl.

Offline haydon

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 04 December 11 15:39 GMT (UK) »
have found marriage  1889  march  newport m. what census have you found them. with gillgrass famiy i hae gone back  1600. in 1861 they were in aberdare. haydon
gillgrass or gilgrass  berkshire aberdare and rhondda vallies  tilley  bristol  easley rhondda  savery  bristol

Offline Thom123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 04 December 11 17:23 GMT (UK) »
Cheers Haydon,  :) I have the census details for 1901 and 1911 for my Great Grandparents, (my Grandfather was born in 1913 so he's not on there, but the address and other names of his brothers and sisters match up though).
I notice that on my Grandfathers marriage certificate that one of the witnesses who signed was a D.T Davies, might be a common name then, (or might be from what you told me before, the husband to Sarah Gillgrass).
You have done well to trace the gillgrass family back to 1600, thats great.
Karl

Offline albionwriter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 08 December 11 22:15 GMT (UK) »
 :)I have written a book 'JImmy Wild - Tylorstown legend' available to order from any good bookshop or by contacting the author on (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline Davies Wilde

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 23 November 12 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Well here goes i hope someone will reply.  Jimmy Wilde is my 3 great uncle.  My great granfather was William Davies his mother name was Ann Jane Wilde. what I'm told is that Ann Jane father went to war and never come back.  I'm yet to find out who her birth father is.  I'm not yet found out who her birth mother is also, iv got to order her birth certificate to find that out.  her birth parents must have gotten married for Ann Jane to carry the Wilde name.  can any  of the jimmy Wilde family fill in the blanks please.

Offline Shirley Ashby Overton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi am trying to sort my Ashby family tree. My great grandmother is Ellen Wilde ( known as Sarah Ellen ) her brother is Jimmy Wilde.
She moved to Nottinghamshire area when she married Mr Ashby.
So I think that makes Jimmy my Great Great Uncle. Any family tree for Wilde would really help please?

Offline mags54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 16 June 18 10:17 BST (UK) »
My sister and cousins have been trying to find out about a connection our family may have to Jimmy Wilde. They all remember our grandmother Mary Ann Davies talking about Jimmy and showing them photos of him but can't see how he's related to us. I know Jimmy's  wife was Elizabeth Ann Davies, her father I believe was David Davies and both my grandmother and grandfather were Davies's from Fochriw and Pontlottyn but before that from Merthyr, who later settled near Pontypool. I've been researching my family tree for 13 years but failed to find where Jimmy connects to it and would love to find some answers so would welcome any help.
WALES
Cardiganshire-Davies(Llanarth)
Carmarthenshire-Evans,Thomas,Bonner(Bonah)
Caernarfonshire-Roberts(Pwllheli)
Flintshire-Mostyn
Glamorganshire-Davies,Watkins,Overton,Jones(Merthyr)
Monmouthshire-Davies,Jenkins,Phillips(Machen)
Pembrokeshire-Phillips(HF West)
ENGLAND
Gloucestershire-Bateman,Fry,Lucas,Kirkham,Bennett(Thornbury)
Herefordshire-Jones(Huntington)
Somerset-Padfield,Blacker,Vowles,Voakes,Wykes,Tincknall,Harse,Howell,Rendall,Bissex(Radstock,Clutton,High Littleton,Wedmore)

Offline mlrsuperstar

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 13 April 19 11:14 BST (UK) »
I believe I am correct in saying that Jimmy Wilde was born on The Graig at Quakers Yard. As this is in the parish of Llanfabon and nowhere near Tylorstown perhaps it would be better to start your search there.