Author Topic: McManus family in West Yell  (Read 6775 times)

Offline corblimey

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McManus family in West Yell
« on: Tuesday 29 November 11 05:31 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help me please with information about a Margaret (Anne) McManus  born Dallas, Morayshire 16 January 1861.  Her parents were Alexander McManus (variously spelt McMannis, McManners, McMannus, McManus) and Margaret Findlay.  She moved to Shetland with her father after her mother died.  On the1871 census, aged 11, she was a servant to the Johnston family in West Yell.  .  When Margaret Findlay died in 1867, Alexander married Mary Ann Johnston (who was born in Shetland) in Yell, Shetland in February 1868 and they had more children together.  The McManus family then moved to Edinburgh.  I would like to find out what happened to Margaret Anne McManus after the 1871 census, whether she married, had children, stayed in Shetland, or perhaps emigrated. 

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McManus family in West Yell
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 November 11 05:50 GMT (UK) »
There is a Margaret McManen, born Elgin (but no age given on ancestry's transcription) Margaret's birth place on the 1861 and 1871 is Elgin.
She is living at Greenfield cottage Lerwick and Gubberfield Shetland. A look at the original on Scotlandspeople may help with her age.
Peter Garriock 54 Stamp Distributor, Shipping ?? Agent, Inspector Of Poor & Collector Of Registrar
Mary Robertson 49 wife
Helen Garrwick 29
Peter Garrwick 22
Mary Garrwick 18
Agnes Garrwick 16
Andrew B Garrwick 14
Florence E Garrwick 10
Jessie D M Garrwick 9
All children of Peter and Mary
Margaret McManen   
Mary Thomson 29 Cook

Offline corblimey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 November 11 05:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Crisane for your speedy response.  Is the Margaret McManen you found working for the Robertson family the 1871 or a later census?  I did find Margaret McManus on the 1871 census as a servant to Margaret Johnston (sister or sister-in-law of Mary Ann Johnston (Margaret Anne McManus's step-mother) so I am sure that this is the Margaret Anne I am looking for.  But I can't find anything for her after the 1871 census.

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 November 11 06:12 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, it is the 1881 Scotland census I posted.
I can't find any emigration records for her as yet.

Offline corblimey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 November 11 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much.  I think it is the Margaret Anne McManus I am looking for.  The transcriber must have made a mistake with her name or the spelling.  Now I can try to find her marriage and whether she stayed in Shetland or moved back to Edinburgh where the rest of her family lived after they moved from Shetland.  Many thanks again for your help, it is much appreciated.

Offline unilove18

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 17:57 BST (UK) »
hey sorry to intrude on ur post, im also looking for a john mcmanus orriginally from ireland, wondered ifu have ever came across one in ur family tree, thanks

Offline corblimey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 31 May 12 00:11 BST (UK) »
I don't have any McManus family from Ireland in the 1800s but they may have come across from Ireland in the 1700s, I haven't got that far back yet.  What other information do you have on John McManus, perhaps I can help  you with research I have done already.