Author Topic: Sir Thomas Wood of Low Hall, North or South Cave  (Read 9754 times)

Offline bendywendy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sir Thomas Wood of Low Hall, North or South Cave
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 01 December 11 09:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kayzee
You are welcome, I love looking things up  ;D and there is plenty, still don't think I have found everything yet  :o. I will keep searching, tis fascinating what one finds on these doc's for family names n places etc..

zDDBD refence mentioning 'creditors' 1807 ... without looking at the doc itself tis a little unclear as to who is the debtor and who are the creditors, although it gives the impression of it being Thomas Wood.

I was wondering if the farm at Elloughton with a Thomas Wood was your TW, as that was a year later 1808 than the one above for the creditors.

What do you think to the entry for offences in London Gazette, I cannot find any relevant details for it, can you.

So how did they come about the titles of Sir and Lady, self appointed maybe ???

bendywendy
HALL     REEPHAM, HACKFORD, GUESTWICK, NFK
HALL     YORK, HOLME ON SPALDING MOOR, E. YKS
HALL     BELBY, Nr HOWDEN, E. YKS
HOUFE   YORK, RICCALL, THIRSK, DURHAM, LANCASHIRE
FEATHERSTONE     KNEDLINGTON, GILBERDYKE, E. YKS
CLAYTON   PATRINGTON, KEYINGHAM, STADDLETHORPE, E. YKS
CAWOOD   RAWCLIFFE, STADDLETHORPE
WALKER     HADDELSEY, EASTRINGTON, SHIPTONTHORPE, E. YKS
BEAN         STILLINGFLEET, ULLESKELF, KIRKBY WHARFE, YKS
TAYLES     LINCS.

Offline bendywendy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 01 December 11 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Meanings from Wiki for:-

Yeoman refers chiefly to a free man owning his own farm, especially from the Elizabethan era to the 17th century. Work requiring a great deal of effort or labor, such as would be done by a yeoman farmer, came to be described as "yeoman's work".[1] Thus yeoman became associated with hard toil.[2]

Yeomen filled many roles from the Middle Ages through to the 19th century. They were often constables of their parish, and sometimes chief constables of the district, shire or hundred. Many yeomen held the positions of bailiffs for the High Sheriff or for the shire or hundred. Other civic duties would include churchwarden, bridge warden, and other warden duties. It was also common for a yeoman to be an overseer for his parish. Yeomen, whether working for a lord, king, shire, knight, district or parish served in localised or municipal police forces raised by or led by the landed gentry.
Question... Can the son of a Yeoman become a self appointed Sir

Sir is an honorific used as a title (see Knight), or as a courtesy title to address a man without using his given or family name in many English speaking cultures. It is often used in formal correspondence (Dear Sir, Right Reverend Sir).
The term is often reserved for use only towards equals, one of superior rank or status, such as an educator or commanding officer, an elder (especially by a minor), or as a form of address from a merchant to a customer.
Equivalent terms of address are "ma'am" or "madam" in most cases, or in the case of a very young woman, girl, or unmarried woman who prefers to be addressed as such, "miss". The equivalent term for a knighted woman is Dame, or "Lady" for the wife of a knight.
In formal protocol Sir is the correct styling for a knight or a baronet (the United Kingdom nobiliary rank just below all peers of the realm), used with (one of) the knight's given name(s) or full name, but not with the surname alone

The rank of Knight Bachelor is a part of the British honours system. It is the most basic rank of a man who has been knighted by the monarch but not as a member of one of the organised Orders of Chivalry.
Like other knights, Knights Bachelor are styled "Sir". Since they are not knights of any order of chivalry, there is no post-nominal associated with the award.
Question... is there a list held for those that were Knighted ???

Kayzee, here is some info about where the Honours lists are announced- There are 3 lists of honours, which are published in The London Gazette twice a year, at New Year and in mid-June on the date of The Queen’s official birthday. They are the Prime Minister’s List, the Diplomatic Service and Overseas List, and the Defence Services List.
http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/about-us/what-we-do/protocol/honours/

London Gazette Archives Online
http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/15519/pages/1052
'NOtice is hereby given, that the Business of Merchants and General Commission Agents, carried on by us in
Partnership, at -Kingston-upon-Hull, under the Firm of Nelson and Wood, was tliis Day dissolved by .mutual Consent. The Business .will in future be carried on by Thomas Wood, on his own separate Account.; and all the Debts owing to and from, -she Firm will he received and paid byMarmaduke Nelson.. Witness our Hands this 27th Day ofSeptember-1802. Marmaduke Nelson. Thomas Wood.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/15013/pages/382
Monday the iSth Day of June, 1798, between the Hours of Eleven and Twelve in the Forenoon* in Six Lots, Several Freehold Estates, "situate at Kingston upon Hull, at Holmpton, Welwick, and Hollym in Holderness, iii the East Riding of the County of York, ana at Winterton in the County of Lincoln. Particulars whereof may be had, gratis, at the (aid Ma'kr's Chambers, Southampton-Buildings aforesaid ; of Mr. Lambert, Solicitor, Hatton Garden, London} of Mr.'Cbeales, Sleaford, Lincolnshire; of Mess. Lockwood and Duesbery, Bevrrley ; of" Mess. Prickett, Hull.; of Mr. Smith, Attorney, York;and of Mr. Wood, North Cave, Yorkshire.

Nothing found for a Knighthood ???
TAYLES     LINCS.

Offline bendywendy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 01 December 11 13:58 GMT (UK) »
Treasure House, Beverley
zDDHH - HOTHAM HALL ESTATE RECORDS
DDHH/2/5/3    6 Oct 1823    Letter from Thomas Wood, North Cave, esquire, to Mr Campbell, Beverley, solicitor.
Refers to Henry Burton Peters' property in North Cave, Everthorpe and South Cave, copyhold of the manors of Osbaldwick, Everthorpe and South Cave.

zQSF - Quarter Sessions Files
QSF/402/F/8     19 Dec 1807    Conviction of Thomas Wood of North Cave, land surveyor.
:- using a dog and gun for killing game at North Cave on 17 Nov
Fined £5
Informant: Francis Watt esquire of Hotham

TAYLES     LINCS.

Offline Kayzee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 01 December 11 14:44 GMT (UK) »
Oh my word! I was just about get to grips with your first batch  of information, came onto the forum to reply & there was more!!! Don't know how to add smiley faces etc but smiley face!!!
    As to your comments re ZDDBD, it was the furniture belonging to Thomas that made me think he was in trouble, although I suppose sometimes today people will sell the furniture with a house - especially if it's too big to get out! So maybe it means nothing.
   Elloughton Farm certainly sounds like my TW as land at Elloughton comes down from JOhn snr to William to John jnr & then to Thomas - got to be him I should think.
   The offence in London Gazette, how annoying there is no date - however looking at the others in jail (mostly professionals), I can't help thinking it was someting to do with not attending church or non payment of fines for not attending - I'm sure I've read of that sort of thing - no idea of what era that would be tho'. Perhaps I am way out.
   Self appointed title - perhaps he made a large donation to a political party!!! I do find it odd that there is no mention anywhere of them being Sir & Lady apart from in a pamplett in B'ham written long after their deaths. 'Lady' Sarah was born circa 1779 & died 29 Nov 1861.
    Annoyingly, I have still no idea of age of any of the Wood family as the IGI throws up nothing - possibly because they were methodists? I thought having the grandmother's surname of Stather might help, but that drew a blank also. 'Sir' Thomas appears to have been a landsurveyor in 1816.
     Thomas & Sarah appear to have possibly had a son John Fred Francis aswell as a daughter Ann Maria & I thought I might find him in BMD, but no - plenty with 2 of the christian names - although it could be  that there should be a comma in there & there are 2 sons.
     From what I can see methodists only started recording baptisms in about 1830, so I might not be lucky even if I got to view the records - and I'm extremely unlikely to get to Yorkshire in the near future - might put another query on to see if someone local knows of any burial records in the Chapel as the death of Thomas might at least tell me whether he was 'Sir' or not.
    As usual a query on rootschat whilst providing lots of answers poses even more questions!

Thank you so much for your help - you've certainly worked very hard & it is much appreciated.
Alsop/allsop,Debanks,Pidock, Nevill, Milward,Loxley,Holmes,Wall,Garton,Lowe,Shepherd,Lintott

Offline Kayzee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 01 December 11 14:49 GMT (UK) »
And another message whilst I was typing my reply - must type faster!!
  Doesn't sound like he would have gone to jail for the dog & gun offence, but maybe he refused to pay the fine?
   I wonder what the law was about using the dog & gun - was he on someone else's land - perhaps that would have been poaching? Maybe it was closed season.
Alsop/allsop,Debanks,Pidock, Nevill, Milward,Loxley,Holmes,Wall,Garton,Lowe,Shepherd,Lintott

Offline Kayzee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 01 December 11 15:09 GMT (UK) »
Proabably just a coincidence, but dring the tracing of my Allsop family tree, I came across a letter written in 1881 suggesting that the Allsops could have been descended from a John Allsop of Market Weeton (sic), Yorkshire in the early 1700s, I have no evidence of this having traced them to Derbyshire in 1625, but it is constantly nagging me now that I have seen that South Cave is about 8 miles from Market Weighton. But there you are there are a lot of unconnected coincidences in family tree.

Offline bendywendy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 01 December 11 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kayzee, smiley faces are these Santa's above where we type the message, move cursor to where you want a smiley etc and click on one, it won't appear until you do preview or post, have fun, here you are  :D

I think more likely he was poaching on someone else's land, maybe he thought he was above the law  :'(

You could be correct abt paying for a title, or crossing palms as they would say then.

The problem with the Methodist records is this.... the records themselves did not belong to the church but to the minister himself, some would have been handed over to the circuit, others are still in private possession of the families of the minister. Several ministers would have covered a circuit meaning lots of individual record books, so because someone is missing it can mean they are in another ministers book, confusing  ??? and then some of these circuit records have been lodged with the archives, obviously the ones still in private hands are missing from them. Also, because of the way they were used and kept this meant that not many of them have been transcribed in full.

If you were to put up a new thread asking for lookups at Treasure House for Methodist Records, someone may well help you out there, share a link back to this thread then folk know the connection too. If you cannot do it, let me know and I will post thread link on both.

I could help out,  but don't drive and it will be after New Year before I can get there.

As for Burials well, the methodists didn't have their own burial grounds, very very few had their own, so most likely it will be North Cave cemetery, although the methodist chapel at Newport does have its own burial ground, I will look in my book to see if there is any Wood listed.

Need to dash now, will be back later on.

bendywendy
TAYLES     LINCS.

Offline Kayzee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 03 December 11 08:10 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for all your help and advice. I wouldn't expect anyone to check the methodist records for me unless they already had them in their home. I know how frustrating when you have a limited time to spend your precious research time sorting out other peoples research. Will live with what I know for now - which is fantastic thanks to you.
Merry Christmas
Kay

Offline StompieSinger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 04 July 19 06:32 BST (UK) »
that didn't take long to find them...    Hull History Centre

PAPERS OF CRUST TODD AND MILLS, SOLICITORS, OF BEVERLEY
Brough and Elloughton    U DDCV/x1/29/8   10 - 11 April 1807
Lease and Release: for ?2545: (i) Thomas Wood as DDCV/29/7 (son and heir of John W.) and wife Sarah (ii) Ann Wood of North Cave widow of J.W. (iii) Samuel Hall as DDCV/29/7 (iv) John Peirson of Howden gent. (v) Rev. Robert Hemington vicar of Thorp Arch (vi) John Stamp of Doncaster and wife Ann, George Blanshard of Cavill Hall and wife Elizabeth, and Sarah Wood of North Cave spinster (A.S., E.B. & S.W. being daughters of J.W.) to (vii) George Popple and (viii) his trustee William Todd both of Hull merchants
4 closes, as DDCV/29/7.
Witn. Robert Galland, Hen. Peirson, Edmd. Gill jnr.

same set papers
U DDCV/x1/29/7    14 - 15 Oct 1803   
Mortgage: for ?400: Thomas Wood of North Cave to Samuel Hall of Beverley gents
Messuage, and 4 closes.
Witn. John Selley of Beverley grocer, Geo. Monkman clerk to Samuel Hall

same set papers
U DDCV/x1/29/5     9 April 1785
Assignment: for ?412.12s.: Henry Bell as DDCV/29/4 to John Wood and his trustee William Wood both of North Cave gents. As DDCV/29/4.   Witn. W. Atkinson, Robert Spofforth.

same set papers
U DDCV/x1/29/54      14 - 15 May 1790
Lease and Release: for ?95: William Nadin of Brizlincote co. Derby gent. and wife Ann, and Barnard Clarkson of Gribthorpe par. Bubwith gent. and wife Deborah to John and William Wood of North Cave gents.
Close (3 1/2ac.) in Brantingham

same set papers
U DDCV/x1/208/12    18 September 1794
Assignment: Commissioners in bankruptcy of John Turner jnr. of Newport victualler to James McTurk of Newport, John Lockwood of Beverley and John Wood of North Cave gents.
McTurk was a BIG man in Newport and surrounding area and had his fingers in a lot of pies

same set papers
U DDCV/x1/185/136     2 - 3 March 1798
Lease and Release: Gervas Seaton to John Wood of North Cave gent.
North and South Tythe Garth Closes and specified lands - -: In trust. To secure payment of ?1500 to
Sir Christopher Sykes and others as DDCV/185/128.

same set papers
U DDCV/x1/29/53     21 - 22 May 1784
Lease and Release: John Carlill to John Wood of North Cave gent.
John Wood to discharge ?400 mortgage of the premises and to pay an annuity of ?20 to John Carlill: messuage and 4 oxgangs --:

Papers of the Barnards Family of South Cave
U DDBA/x1/4/60    29 Apr 1785
Oath of John Wood of North Cave, gent. as Commissioner for Inclosure of South Cave
For registration at East Riding Registry of Deeds

Papers of the Bishop Burton Estates of the Gee and Hall-Watt Families
U DDGE/x1/3/255             30 - 31 Mar 1801
Lease and Release: for ?650    (ii) his trustees John Lockwood of Beverley gent. and John Wood of North Cave gent.

bendywendy

Hi, I'm a descendant of John Stamp and Ann Wood, here mentioned to be residing at Doncaster, Yorkshire in 1807. I can see that these messages regarding the Wood family are from 10 years ago, but I was wondering if since then you've been able to find any mention of the Wood family in the North Cave burial records. Being Methodists, they seem to be very difficult to trace. I've seen conflicting dates of birth for Ann Wood, one record saying she was born in 1768, another 1770, though her burial record in 1811 in Mansfield says she was aged 45 (hence born c.1766). So I was wondering if there might be any mention of the Woods in North Cave, or perhaps of John Stamp (who was a Methodist Rev.)