Author Topic: Gallowshill and Shiels Yard  (Read 5333 times)

Offline Munch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Gallowshill and Shiels Yard
« on: Tuesday 29 November 11 23:57 GMT (UK) »
can anyone tell me where i can information on Gallowshill & Shiels Yard in Dundalk?  i have googled them but not much there.
Davis
Gorman
Mulligan
Walton

Offline McShane1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gallowshill and Shiels Yard
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 December 14 20:11 GMT (UK) »
On a map of Dundalk dated 1766 by Mathew Wren (RIA) published in 2006 in the Dundalk Irish Historic Towns Atlas series, Gallowshill is clearly written on the map as being at the north side of the modern day R178 Carrickmacross Road between the current day Mount Avenue and Ard Easmuinn junctions with the R178.

Back in 1766 there was no Ard Easmuinn, no trains, no Dundalk railway or railway station which is nearby, and the Mount Avenue road used to bend and join the Carrickmacross Road closer to where the Ard Easmuinn Road junction is today.  It was at this junction on a hill that Gallowshill used to be.  People approaching Dundalk on the Carrickmacross Road would see gibbets hanging from the gallows on Gallowshill up to the early 1800s.

It is not to be confused with Gallowshall Dundalk which is also called Sportsman's Hall north of Dundalk and the Castletown River.

I am not sure about Shiels Yard but if I spot something I will let you know.
McShane, Craven, Shoulder, Carroll, Divan or Devine, McGuinness, O'Hagan, Campbell, O'Rourke, Kelly, Carragher, O'Hanlon, Ward, Reynolds, McCourt, McEvoy, Lennon

Offline Munch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 July 15 20:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for your help.  :)
Davis
Gorman
Mulligan
Walton

Offline McShane1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 31 July 15 01:51 BST (UK) »
Your welcome Munch,

I haven't found Shiel's Yard, Dundalk but I did find Shiel's Court and this was just off Bridge Street where it runs into Church Street, and Shiel's Court is now called Patrick's Street. I think Shiel's Court may have originally been the entrance lane to Shiel's Yard, or maybe Shiel's Court was also known as Shiel's Yard.

You can look it up on the 1854 Griffith's Valuation map of Dundalk on http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/  and do a search for any surname in Dundalk and open the map in the middle of the town of Dundalk.  You will see Sheil's Court is east off Bridge Street which runs from the bridge over the Castletown River in the north of Dundalk and runs south down into Church Street.

Gallowshill is also on this map and if you follow Church Street south down to Clanbrassil Street, down Earl Street, south east down Park Street and Anne Street, east into Dominick Place and then Gallowshill which continues as the Carrickmacross Road. On this map Gallowshill is just to the west of the Ard Easmuinn junction with the R178 Carrickmacross Road.

I hope this helps.

Regards, McShane01.
McShane, Craven, Shoulder, Carroll, Divan or Devine, McGuinness, O'Hagan, Campbell, O'Rourke, Kelly, Carragher, O'Hanlon, Ward, Reynolds, McCourt, McEvoy, Lennon