Author Topic: Ancestors of John CHIPPERFIELD born 1781 Gosmore, St Ippollitts?  (Read 3851 times)

Offline Jax67

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ancestors of John CHIPPERFIELD born 1781 Gosmore, St Ippollitts?
« on: Wednesday 30 November 11 22:49 GMT (UK) »
I'm having trouble getting further back with one lot of direct ancestors than John CHIPPERFIELD (g-g-g-grandfather), born Gosmore 1781, who then married Alice ARNOLD from Pulloxhill and lived in Clophill, both Bedfordshire. From his christening record I have his parents' names, another John and Elizabeth, and I have found their marriage in St Ippollits in 1782, with her maiden name of KILBY. The marriage says that John senior is 'of Hitchin' and born in about 1757, but I can't find any christening record for him in Hitchin, either online or in the St Mary's register, and there are no Chipperfields in St Ippollitts until John and Elizabeth's family move there.

The only other record I have found is John senior's apprenticeship in Gosmore in 1775 to a butcher - so it is possible that he didn't come from round there at all, but went there to learn the trade. The only one I can see on the IGI that could be him was in Bishop's Stortford, Water Lane Independent in 1757, son of James and Ann, but this is rather a long way away in the east of the county, so I don't know how likely it is to be the same person. I couldn't find any more of the same family on the IGI, although there is a James and Hannah having 7 children in Bishop's Stortford between 1761 and 1772, so possibly a second marriage with the wife wanting the children christened - or possibly no connection at all!

In the militia lists there is a butcher called James at Hockerill in 1758 and 1759, in Bishop's Stortford a servant in 1784 and butcher in 1785, a John in 1778 who is also a butcher, and a William in 1794 who is a servant. The only wills I have spotted are John, 1611, butcher, Hatfield (couldn't read the microfilm), Robert, 1762, keeper, St Paul's Walden (a John mentioned) and John, 1818, farmer, Hatfield (haven't read that one yet).

If anyone knows anything that might help, or can give me any tips on where to look next, I would be extremely grateful.  We keep hitting dead ends with direct ancestors, and I had hoped the Chipperfields wouldn't be too difficult as they were only in the next county (I'm in Bedfordshire), but apart from the IGI I've found nothing online, and having checked the St Ippollitts and Hitchin registers I'm just not sure where to go next...

Jackie
Hinton (Bedfordshire, London, Cirencester), Chipperfield (Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire), Arnold, Brooks (Bedfordshire, possibly Hertfordshire), Masters (Bedfordshire)

Offline DORAN54

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestors of John CHIPPERFIELD born 1781 Gosmore, St Ippollitts?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 December 11 00:14 GMT (UK) »
hi,  1851 census shows him as a retired butcher  born gosmore  herts ,
age 69
 wife alice age 71.. son james who is a farmer born clophill bedfordshire age 42 his wife susan age 40

Offline Jax67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 December 11 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi - thanks but I have the census entries for 1841 and 1851 for him (he then died before the next one) - what I'm after is where he came from, who his parents were and any other family.  Unfortunately this being in the 1700s it is proving more difficult to find.

There aren't loads of Chipperfields showing up on the IGI, but having put them all on a spreadsheet (which I'm happy to give to anyone who might find it useful) I haven't been able to make many connections, there is obviously a lot of data missing.

I would love to hear from anyone who has compiled data from registers or has any other information that could help.
Hinton (Bedfordshire, London, Cirencester), Chipperfield (Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire), Arnold, Brooks (Bedfordshire, possibly Hertfordshire), Masters (Bedfordshire)

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 December 11 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi

HALS online Names

https://www.hertsdirect.org/ufs/ufsmain?formid=HALS_INDEXES

Try "Chipperfield" with a date range "0 - 1850"

R

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline Chippy_1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 11:46 BST (UK) »
First of all, I have not been able to find any documentary evidence for the following - but it is another string…

It is possible that the John who married Elizabeth Kilby was baptised 20 Apr 1760 at St Leonard, Shoreditch s.o. Isaac (1730-1765) and Elizabeth (nee Veltom).

Isaac was born 1730 in St Paul’s Walden, Herts.    Son of Robert & 2nd wife Tabitha (nee Clinton) he was apprenticed to Joseph Stainer citizen and weaver of London in 1745.

Isaac died in 1765; Tabitha Chipperfield (nee Clinton) in 1772 – her will of 1769 leaves £20 for John.  This £20 to be held and expended  to John’s best advantage by his uncle Clinton Chipperfield.

Clinton died in 1814 – his will of 1805 mentions John as a son of his late brother Isaac.

Both Clinton and Tabitha died at Hitchin, Herts.

13 Oct 1782
Ippollitts, Herts.
John Chipperfield sm of Hitchin
Elizabeth Kilby sw otp
wits: John Creasey, Thos. Deanner

So, was John sent to his grandmother in Herts, and later apprenticed there by his uncle?

Perhaps it you can get sight of John’s  apprenticeship record it just might have his father’s name on.

I would be pleased to hear if you get anywhere with this – as I can tie the records up.