Author Topic: MORAN family from Ballinrobe, Mayo  (Read 11946 times)

Offline mimram

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MORAN family from Ballinrobe, Mayo
« on: Friday 02 December 11 08:56 GMT (UK) »

I have been trying to find out about Bartley Moran, born about 1868 and the Moran family. By 1895 Bartley Moran had moved to London and his father was listed as being Bartley Moran - farmer, on his son's marriage certificate.

Bartley Moran (son) only appears on one census, the 1901, where his birthplace is listed as Ireland, before he dies. I think that Bartley may come from Mayo, probably Ballinrobe. Does anyone know what happened to the Moran family, the parents and when Bartley moved to England? The only Bartley Moran that I can find in Ireland was born in 1865 with parents Bartley Moran and Kitty Smith. Is this the right person?

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: MORAN family from Ballinrobe, Mayo
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 December 11 09:02 GMT (UK) »
Have you a marriage cert for your Bartley ?

That should show his father's occupation and allow you to confirm or rule out, that possible birth.

Bartley is often a shortened version of Bartholomew.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 December 11 09:06 GMT (UK) »
sorry misread your post - you have a marriage cert.

A birth cert for that possible match would show and occupation for that Bartley Moran. Here are the extracted details you found :

Name: Bartly Moran
  Birth date:30 Sep 1865
  Birthplace: 0047,Ballinrobe, Mayo
  Parents : Bartly Moran & Kitty Smith

One point to note is that the extracted records on FamilySearch are not complete, so there could be other Bartly Moran births not listed.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline mimram

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 December 11 09:10 GMT (UK) »
Yes they are the details I found.

However I don't know how to prove that this is the correct Bartley Moran.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 December 11 09:10 GMT (UK) »
here's the corresponding detail from the BMD Index (the page number is the same) :

Name: Bartly Moran
  Registration district: Ballinrobe
  Event type: Birth
  Year: 1865
  Volume: 19 / Page: 47

You can use these to order a cert from the GRO.

Beside the occupation, I think I'd look for some additional clues just to be sure that this is the same family. Christian names ran in families so it's quite possible there are a number of Bartly/Bartholomew Moran children with father Bartly...

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline mimram

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 December 11 09:15 GMT (UK) »
I have found several siblings with the same parents as this Bartley on Familysearch.

How can I prove that this is the right Bartley that came over to London and married? I have a marriage and death certificate but there are no further details on them.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 December 11 09:16 GMT (UK) »
Here's a list of the Bartly/Bartolomew Moran births on the BMD Index between 1864 and 1872 : link

It might be possible to eliminate some of them using the extracted collection.

Is there any sign of any possible Moran relatives in English records ?
e.g. witnesses at marriage, sponsors on baptisms, neighbours on the census  etc

It's possible that family is correct I'd certainly put them down as 'possibles', but as you said, I'd look for more evidence.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline mimram

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 December 11 09:23 GMT (UK) »
There were no Moran witnesses at the marriage, and  nothing listed on baptism records. There are some Morans on the London census, but I don't know if they are related.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 02 December 11 09:26 GMT (UK) »
How can I prove that this is the right Bartley that came over to London and married? I have a marriage and death certificate but there are no further details on them.

that's the problem - there are no records of people travelling to England from Ireland, and there's no easy way to tell if any particular individual left Ireland.

At this time many ordinary people only left records for their major events - i.e. baptism/birth, marriage and death. The key source is usually the marriage record, but unfortunately the occupation of farmer is quite common so not very conclusive.

I think it's worth trying that birth cert so see what the father's occupation is - if it's not Farmer then you might be able to cross him off the list. The cert would also give you a detailed place of birth which might be useful.

Other than following up sources in England, another approach might be to work on the other possible matches on the BMD Index to see if you can eliminate them by checking the father's name and occupation.

Shane
My Surname Interests