8 (5.8%)
I'm scared they'll clone me
3 (2.2%)
I've already done it
52 (37.7%)
Other (explain)
28 (20.3%)

Total Members Voted: 138

Author Topic: DNA Testing - Why Not  (Read 51419 times)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DNA Testing - Why Not
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 04 December 11 00:32 GMT (UK) »
Did I dream that there was talk of DNA testing all newborns? If so, eventually someone may find some use for the information though it could be classed as invasion of privacy etc etc.

There was an Icelandic proposal and it looks like it is being done on a non identifiable basis

http://www.oecd.org/document/20/0%2C2340%2Cen_2649_37437_2430484_1_1_1_37437%2C00.html

Invasion of privacy was raised against the UAE's propsals in this sphere

http://www.councilforresponsiblegenetics.org/blog/post/Plan-to-DNA-test-whole-population-of-United-Arab-Emirates-rights-groups-call-for-UK-forensic-contract-to-be-scrapped.aspx
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 04 December 11 03:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for starting this thread, Nick. I too am put off by the cost - knowing that each year the tests get more accurate and informative, and less expensive. But I guess I could keep saying that forever!

I would particularly like my maternal grandfather (who is fortunately still with us) to have a Y-DNA test. It would help progress my one name study of his surname, particularly due to an illegitimacy in the first half of the nineteenth century. However, it's kind of awkward to ask him to take a test (even if I pay for it) as he has no direct interest - not to mention understanding - of what the test would accomplish. But I'm worried that if I don't ask him soon this opportunity will be gone forever...

Alexander

Offline nickgc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GGF J. James McLellan 1864-1908
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 04 December 11 04:47 GMT (UK) »
Alexander,

for the 23andme test all you have to do is get him to spit into a tube (requires about a cc of fluid).  Their test will give you your paternal haplogroup which I presume is what you want from the Y DNA test.  I am confused whether the FTDNA autosomal test also gives Y results, but some people indicate it doesn't because they also offer a separate ($119+) Y DNA test.  Note that autosomal uses SNPs (see Wiki) and Y DNA tests use STRs (see Wiki), but if all you want to know is whether Grandpa is haplogroup I1a1 or R1b2, etc. either is sufficient.  I suspect comparisons to suspected  relatives would be difficult with a SNP test if they all had an STR test.

The Y test is certainly easier for older people since it simply requires you to scrape the inside of your cheek a couple of times; no more trouble than brushing your teeth and only takes a few seconds.  I think even FTDNA's autosomal test uses this method.

Tell him what it entails and ask if he'll do it, before ordering.

Nick
McLellan - Inverness
Greer - Renfrewshire
Manson - Aberdeen & Orkney
Simpson - Hereford, Devon, etc.
Flett - Orkney
Chisholm - Scotland
Wishart - Orkney
Shand - Aberdeen
Pirie - Aberdeen

-----
Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there.   -Robert Heinlein

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 04 December 11 05:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Nick...I'll be visiting him at Christmas, so I'll ask about it then.

Alexander

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 04 December 11 07:00 GMT (UK) »
I am confused whether the FTDNA autosomal test also gives Y results, but some people indicate it doesn't because they also offer a separate ($119+) Y DNA test. 

Nick,

And that's part of the problem!  ;D

You are an advocate, an enthusiast even, of DNA testing, and even you are confused about what it is and does! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 04 December 11 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Autosomal DNA does not use X or Y-chromosomes.  A human cell carries 22 pairs of autosomes, and 1 pair of sex (X/Y) chromosomes.  There have been disputes over the usefulness of autosomal DNA, and FTDNA stress that autosomal DNA is not very effective in determining ancestry outside of about 5 generations, but it is claimed that it is effective in geographically placing family groups.  Y-DNA, on the other hand, is carried in the male line, and can be tracked back 1000's of generations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromosome
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 04 December 11 11:06 GMT (UK) »
FTDNA stress that autosomal DNA is not very effective in determining ancestry outside of about 5 generations, but it is claimed that it is effective in geographically placing family groups.

That's another thing I don't understand!
My paternal line has been in Somerset for only 2 generations, and before that were in Suffolk and Essex. Dorset, Devon and Wiltshire are mixed in there as well - and all within 5 generations.
My maternal line is a little more steady, but has Somerset, Monmouthshire, Kent,and Wiltshire all within those 5 generations.

I simply not convinced!  ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 04 December 11 11:20 GMT (UK) »
I wasn't convinced before, either, but now that the prices are dropping, there will hopefully be more people in the databases.

Of course, the effectiveness of any research tool will vary from individual to individual, and (just like all the other things that we genealogists spend our money on) we don't know how effective any research tool will be until we've bought it.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who has signed up to a paysite, only to find there's little of interest on it ?

My own genealogy wall concerns people with my family name in (what was) a small village on the outskirts of London.  I know that one of these namesakes was my g.g. grandfather, but I have found no way of telling whether any of the others with the same name were related or not, and I don't know where the family originated.  Since I have made contact with the descendent of one of these other people, I'm hoping to persuade them to take a DNA test, to be able to establish family relationships (if any), and maybe even an origin for the family.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline polly88

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 04 December 11 11:27 GMT (UK) »
"All of these people share a significant portion of your DNA.  Note that some of them may well have been born Begleys, such as a daughter of your grt gpa B's brother who later married.  Her descendants would be closely related to you and not share your name.  Names mean nothing in this context unless you are only interested (as in a one name study) of pursuing a very narrow part of your genealogy."

Nick - of course I realise that it is not just Begleys I'd be looking for, but what I was clumsily trying to say is that I am mostly interested in my father's paternal line, as that is where my brickwall is.  I've gone quite far back on my mum's side, and my father's maternal line, but because my dad's paternal line comes from Ireland I am completely stuck at just my grandfather!  It is of course entirely feasible that my grandfather's siblings (if he had any) went to America but when I look at the dna project for the Begley family, all they are interested in is the "Kentucky Begleys", who they believe went to America in the 1700s.  I need info about the family from 1850s.  

I do find it confusing.  The only reason I am considering having it done is to break down my brick wall, and find where my grandfather's lot came from in Ireland.  Will it potentially help me do this?

Begley - St Helens & Liverpool & somewhere in Ireland.
Foster - Liverpool & Yorkshire (Ripon & Leeds)
Pendleton - Huyton & Liverpool
Milnes - Leeds & Ripon
Banister - Preston
Wales - Liverpool & Cumberland
Ireland - Prescot
McDonough - Liverpool
Quirk - Liverpool
Hunt - St Helens
Tickle - St Helens