8 (5.8%)
I'm scared they'll clone me
3 (2.2%)
I've already done it
52 (37.7%)
Other (explain)
28 (20.3%)

Total Members Voted: 138

Author Topic: DNA Testing - Why Not  (Read 51426 times)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DNA Testing - Why Not
« Reply #54 on: Monday 05 December 11 22:20 GMT (UK) »
In the case of FTDNA who did my test I believe to gain access you have to be a client.

Yes it looks like you can "transfer in" from recognised companies, including Ancestry, for a small additional fee - which I would think is worth it if they are the market leader, and certainly a lot cheaper than a whole new test

http://www.familytreedna.com/faq/answers.aspx?id=41#1613
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline nickgc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GGF J. James McLellan 1864-1908
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Monday 05 December 11 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello -

I'm not sure if I or anyone else has brought this up before.

After you get your results from most (possibly any) companies you are not necessarily limited to comparing with the individuals who also tested with them.

You really should take advantage of these additional opportunities, rather than just rely on the database of the company you test with.

1) Y DNA testers can also load their results into YSearch www.ysearch.org   It allows comparison of cross-company STR results.  Currently has 103K records.

2)  Mitochodrial DNA has a comparable 3rd party database called at www.mitosearch.org

3)  Autosomal DNA testers have myriad options for getting analyses and connecting to groups of interest.  These include Eurogenes, Dodecad, the BGA Project, GEDMatch, and many others.  GEDMatch also has a sister site that allows individuals or groups to set up smaller comparison groups for people who suspect (and their DNA confirms) specific ancestry such as Viking or Romany.  The analyses my Eurogenes, etc. all use differing "population mixes" for their comparisons, so it is interesting to compare results.
McLellan - Inverness
Greer - Renfrewshire
Manson - Aberdeen & Orkney
Simpson - Hereford, Devon, etc.
Flett - Orkney
Chisholm - Scotland
Wishart - Orkney
Shand - Aberdeen
Pirie - Aberdeen

-----
Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there.   -Robert Heinlein

Offline Mesrne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 06 December 11 00:23 GMT (UK) »
Interesting...thanks for the links all
Fines - Lincolnshire
Simmons - Buckinghamshire, Essex
Webster - Buckinghamshire

Offline johnxyz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 06 December 11 12:04 GMT (UK) »
I 've voted "other".

My 3g paternal grandfather born 1814 is recorded as "natural son of" and took his mother's surname. I assume a Y test might give me some clues to the father, but I think I'd need to be lucky for there to be any matches.

And I am not convinced I would find anything useful from the mtDNA.   

So for me it's a variant of "too expensive" - not so much absolute cost, more a judgement that my perceived value of the results is less than the cost.   

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 06 December 11 14:13 GMT (UK) »
I have my own tree well documented in US to mid 1600s (many paternal lines), and equally well documented in Scotland and England to mid 1700s for maternal lines Quote nickgc

I answered other

Kind regards ;)
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 06 December 11 14:14 GMT (UK) »
I voted too expensive but I do plan to take part in all the tests, just out of curiosity.
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline canuckscot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday 06 December 11 23:41 GMT (UK) »
I have tested with FTDNA and have found relatives through the databases. I think of it as a tool, much like microfiche  files or online records. By itself it may not help some people but combined with other documentation it has proven valuable.

It can be used to prove or disprove family lore. DNA doesn't lie. In my case I found a distant cousin who was able to provide me with info on family members I never knew or would have known. Often the eldest gets the family bible and decendents of siblings may not know it existed.

It also helps knowing where to look. All the records I can find on my gg-grandfather say that he was born in Scotland. Where in Scotland??? Through DNA testing I was able to match people that had a paper trail to a particular region. That narrows my search.

There's nothing hocus pocus about it and it's a different test than what police forces use so there is really nothing to be afraid of. I don't know about the rest of you but in my quest to find my ancestors I'll use every tool available.
Caithness: Jack, Manson, Sinclair, Mowat
Inverness, Western Isles: MacDonald, MacAulay, Boyd
Lochaber: MacMillan
Sutherland: Nicholson

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday 07 December 11 08:53 GMT (UK) »
Canuckspot, I'm pleased to see your comments on your FTDNA experiences, because my kit arrived this morning.  I really didn't expect to see it until after Christmas, because I only ordered it on 24th November  8)

As you say, DNA is just one research tool, and there's no single place that you can ever go to find out all the secrets, but that's half the fun, isn't it ?
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday 07 December 11 18:12 GMT (UK) »
I agree that DNA cannot lie, but how likely is this senario, which has actually happened? I have an uncommon surname, shared so far as I can calculate from a variety of sources with approx 1200 males in the world. I took a Y chromosome DNA test 37 marker from FTDNA last February. So far I have found the following, I share 36/37 markers,together with haplotype, with a person in western Canada, whose ancestors were in the same general area of Lincolnshire as mine between 100 and 215 years ago, so a liason between the two families is quite feasible, however I and he have so far been unable to find it.

More pertinently I share 33/37 markers and a surname, but a different haplotype with a man in Worcestershire. We have separately produced possible trees which suggest a common ancestor in Wiltshire pre 1600AD, the haplotype difference suggests we have been separated for over 20,000 years, long before surnames. In view of the scarcity of the surname I think an error by the company is more likely than a co-incidence.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)