Author Topic: Link: Gimp - New version (The GNU Image Manipulation Program)  (Read 10151 times)

Offline hoobaloo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Link: Gimp - New version (The GNU Image Manipulation Program)
« on: Saturday 03 December 11 18:30 GMT (UK) »
Gimp is now available with an easier to understand menu.  Still free and called "Adaptable Gimp", regards, John.

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
Re: Gimp - New version
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 March 13 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Can  anyone find a link for this New  Version. Problem is this post is 2011.
I have just downloaded Gimp, but am finding it really hard to understand .
Thanks
PS,  I am now on Windows 8  ::)
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 March 13 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Here you go:

http://www.gimp.org

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 March 13 14:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, I have already downloaded this, but am finding it really difficult to understand how to use it.  I thought the Adaptable Gimp may be simpler, but now it seems it`s not for download any more.

I really am getting nowhere with the latest one. I have just spent 2 hours trying to cut part of one pic and paste it to another, and I can`t even get the scissors tool  to stop working . ::) ::)

I uses to have a programme that was so simple, but it went when my old PC died, and it doesn`t work on Windows 8 >:(

Offline tommyfromri

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 April 13 05:00 BST (UK) »
I downloaded GIMP last week and took a look..I still like photoshop elements 9 better but what I didn't like was the invasive nature of the extra features they wanted to add like the toolbar and pop-up ads started popping up everywhere I went with every page change, so I deleted it and had to do a system restore to finally get rid of those pesky pop-up ads!

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 April 13 07:50 BST (UK) »
I downloaded GIMP last week and took a look..I still like photoshop elements 9 better but what I didn't like was the invasive nature of the extra features they wanted to add like the toolbar and pop-up ads started popping up everywhere I went with every page change, so I deleted it and had to do a system restore to finally get rid of those pesky pop-up ads!

Do you mean there are pop up ads on Gimp or PE 9.?  So far  I`ve not found any on GIMP , but there again I`ve not tried it out that much. Thanks

Offline tommyfromri

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 April 13 03:18 BST (UK) »
the popup ads started after I downloaded the free version of GIMP.. at any site I went to.. they went away after I got rid of it..I almost clicked on ads a lot not expecting them to popup

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 08 April 13 13:29 BST (UK) »
Maybe this might be worth a try and easier to use:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/edit-photos#1TC=t1

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Warin

• RootsChat Member
  • VJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 17 July 13 01:27 BST (UK) »
I've been using GIMP for a few years ..
Purchased a mag on it some years ago.. basic instructions. The 'problem' is documentation .. there are books and books on Photoshop. It does have a help file.

There is a free mag on it available - 3 issues so far .. http://gimpmagazine.org

Never had any popups from GIMP, various versions used on various PC + operating systems.

Of course you can google "gimp photo restoration tutorial" and that comes up with quite a few links - some video, some documents..
Long (Ireland), Mogg (OZ + Ireland), Warner (England)