Author Topic: Help with New York Mystery.  (Read 15820 times)

Offline ABoyd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with New York Mystery.
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 03 December 11 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everybody! :)

Heywood -  There is no question that Alexander and Thomas are the children of Eleanor Carden and John Boyd  who were married in Ballysakereery in 1878. Her granddaughter is still living and is the niece of Thomas, daughter of Alexander, who died when she was a young child. I will have to investigate this other family you have found and see if there is a connection.

The rest of the  info I have comes from a commisioned report from Mayo Family History in 1998, which has been passed on to me, and already I have found several errors, plus a few family items. The memorial card for Thomas was actually the back page of Alexander's, printed in Dublin, - an unusual thing to do,, so it is quite possible there is a error - ether by printing, or by me taking down the date incorrectly - I will check back with the person who has it

I don't have a record of more than one Alexander - other than the one born 26th December 1888. I will check out the 1901 and 1911 again, and post here, as I can't remember offhand.

Shellyesq - I will check out all those items you mention, and check back with comments, thank you for the useful info about Army. A family member did say they thought he was buried in Calvary Cemetery. I will order the death cert. Is there any way of getting a  tombstone inscription or pic ? Just off to read that obit, Thank you :)

Sorry to be bombarding with requests, this is such a good response! :)
ABoyd

Offline ABoyd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 03 December 11 20:57 GMT (UK) »
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Mayo/Ballina_Urban/Bridge_Street/699586/

Heywood, there is certainly something odd going on in the census - this is the right set of names for the father, aunts and uncles of Alexander's daughter, who is still alive - I will check with her to reconfirm. Not all the sons seem to be still in Ireland, which means Thomas left post 1911, so the info on when he might have gone to the states, is wrong - must have been post 1911.

The 1901
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Mayo/Ballysakeery/Rosserk/1572304/
Seems to fit in, but John has himself down as an Ag lab, which does not fit with info handed down.

I have now looked at  an Irish Obit for Eleanor 1930  which says that Alexander is working for Brown and Shipley Bankers Wall St NY, mentions that Patrick and Alex won many athletic championships, but NO mention of Thomas!

::)

ABoyd

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 03 December 11 21:13 GMT (UK) »
In 1911, perhaps the 3 sons are working some land in Ballysakeery. The landowner  is John Boyd.
Presumably, it is not the land in Rosserk from 1901 as it is a different townland.

Meanwhile the family have moved to Ballina and the sons have also been entered on the census for Bridge Street.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ABoyd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 03 December 11 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Heywood, I did not think of that possibility! I have just looked up the original civil cert for Alexander  25 Dec 1888, Ballysokerry Co mayo, father John Boyd Farmer Ballysokerry. In 1930, when Eleanor dies, her address is "Moyville" Ballysokerry Ballina. The names of the chief mourners - children - correspond with the 1911 census, so I think your theory is correct. Thomas and Alexander not there, which makes sense.

Going on the 1911 therefore, Thomas was born c. 1884, so I am looking for a man of that age resident in New York called Thomas Boyd who left Ireland after 1911. Died most likely 5th OCT 42  NY - thanks Shelleyesq!

To cut a long story short, the obit for his mother says 10 children, now all accounted for, so Charles Boyd mentioned in the 1939 letter home is a different person.   

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/X428-S31  - the 1930 census Shellyesq found is a little out on dates, he is 40 in 1930 when he ought to be 44/45, but I wait in hope that he was fibbing and the parents are correct.

Wondering where I go from here in the meantime?

ABoyd

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 03 December 11 23:35 GMT (UK) »
That one does fit quite nicely though - born 1890  :-\
(His wife is 10 years younger if he is 40 as he says - perhaps he fibs about his age because of that)
emigrates 1911 - we know it must be 1911 at the earliest
Dorothy is his daughter - he mentions Dorothy

Perhaps William Boyd and John Boyd are brothers and (as often happens) use family names for their children.
Hence you already have relatives in NY before Thomas goes.

Offline ABoyd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 03 December 11 23:53 GMT (UK) »
Just wondering what the on-line birth index situation is for NY, to follow up your suggestion, Heywood, and look for the four NY census children.

I have now got that death notice, thank you Shellyesq, it does look right.

Just in case any of the missing Boyd family come this way, Alexander B In the 1930 letter Thomas says "Tommy Cosgrove of the Express got married to a girl from Glensiland (Sp) in mayo, and Henry Carroll to a timekeeper."

Alexander Boyd took a few photos in NY. The names on the back are: Mr P McNamara, Charles Stewart, Dan Stewart, Joe McIlvane, Marie McIlvane.

Also one of an Elizabeth Miller - in a group of nurses, Then there is  the note that says Mr Charles Boyd, 151 West St NYC, the most likely relative. but any of the others could be too - here's hoping a name rings a bell!

Thanks again ABoyd

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 04 December 11 13:37 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I fear we have strayed from the original request (It's just that I have a liking for that area of Mayo  ;)).

It would be good to follow up now from NY side.
I know when I did something similar, we did find emigrants from same area in Mayo, settled together in same area in USA and we gained some information that way.

Offline ABoyd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 04 December 11 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Heywood, I am most interested in the Mayo side, do you think I should start a Mayo thread for the O'Donnell Carden Humbert connection?

Thanks to a kind person on this board who sent me details of the 1930 census, Thomas Boyd occupation seems to be Chauffer for American Express in 1930, born Irish Free State, arrived America what looks like 1917, but it is slightly possible 1911 as the number has been inked over.
Given the wife/children in 1930 a possible  marriage is:

Murray Mary Aug 2 1920 Manhattan 28211 M600
Boyd Thomas S Aug 2 1920 Manhattan 28211 B300

From the Italian site Shelleyesq posted earlier.

Is there a way of getting a look up on this marriage, and the one below,  and/or purchasing the certs, please?

Re the various entries on the Irish Census you mentioned I think I have a fix on Charles Boyd arriving in US post 1901  - Mother Mary Boyd  Carrowkelly and a possible marriage in:
Boyd     Charles J     Nov     27     1912     Manhattan     28310     B300
Fogarty     Maureen J     Nov     27     1912     Manhattan     28310     F263

Turns out that Ballysakeery
Co. Mayo is
2.7 k from   
Carrowkelly, according to Google maps, so although the Mayo report does not give a suitable brother for John Boyd to be Charles father, I will have to do a search - at any rate the two households were near enough for this potentially to be the right Charles mentioned in the letter. Thanks for your help on this, its getting clearer!  :) :)

A Boyd

Update - Kindly person has sent me details of how to order the marriage certs.  :)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 04 December 11 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Yes, if you want to pursue the Mayo connection, create a new thread and after explaining what you are searching (how successful you will be is a different matter) and cross reference this thread by clicking the address above and posting it.
You will probably get me but hopefully there are some 1798 students also.

Ballasakeery is the civil parish and various townlands which have been mentioned are within this parish.
Townlands -Ballasakeery

Where are you based?

heywood