Author Topic: Clifford family help  (Read 13085 times)

Offline DKimberley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Clifford family help
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 04 December 11 10:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Joe, very interesting but it would appear there are a couple of seperate lines i could go down if i don't get my facts right. I'll check with my mum and dad to see what my Nans birthday was, then look to obtain her birth certificate.

cheers
Kimberley, Allen, Perry, Bird, Lenton, Marston, Clifford, Seth, Walsh, Belson

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 04 December 11 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I think the births aghadowey and I are referring to are the same. some confusion over the year of birth, Family search has Jan-Mar 1915, the source I am checking has it in 1914.

Read the first entry from the thread below it would seem to back up my theory of who Mary kathleens father was

http://www.family-tree.co.uk/Family-Tree-Magazine-Forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3543

Regards

Joe
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 04 December 11 13:00 GMT (UK) »
No confusion over birth for Mary Catherine Clifford- a birth late in 1914 could easily be registered in the Jan./March 1915 quarter as is the case here.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 04 December 11 14:10 GMT (UK) »
If Mary Catherine Clifford (b.1914) father James Clifford, mother Margaret Devlin proves to be correct, I can find a further 6 siblings up to 1921, there may be more after this date but they have not yet been made available online

Mary catherine clifford    (b.1914)
Thomas Clifford            (b.1916)
Elizabeth F Clifford       (b.1917)
Winifred Margaret Clifford (b.1918)
Charles A Clifford         (b.1920)
Thomas Francis Clifford    (b.1920)
James   Clifford      (b.1921)

All registered Londonderry Urban (No.2) parents as above
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline DKimberley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 04 December 11 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much guys. As i say i'll have to check, but i know that my nan had a younger sister called Eileen, and don't recall her having any brothers.

Offline DKimberley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 05 December 11 20:58 GMT (UK) »
i've since found out from my mum that my nan was known as May, and that she was born on the 20th December 1914. So, i'm not sure if May was here real name or whether that was short for Mary  :-[

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 05 December 11 23:29 GMT (UK) »
May is often used as a pet name for Mary, so I wouldn't pay to much attention to that, there was also no other female births in County Londonderry registered with the surname Clifford in the time frame (late 1914 to early 1915) apart from Mary Catherine Clifford so I am confident this is your Mary/May.

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 06 December 11 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi just a couple of further facts to add and recap

Mary Catherine Clifford born 1914 in Derry, father James Clifford, mother Margaret Devlin.

James Clifford married Margaret Devlin 1913 in Derry city (Londonderry Urban No. 2)

James Cliffords father was Thomas Clifford, mother was Mary Curran, his birth was registered in 1882 (Londonderry Urban No.2) district, also recorded at St. Eugenes Cathedral in Derry.

Thomas Clifford married Mary Curran  last quarter Sep-Dec 1881 again in Londonderry urban No. 2, Thomas father is recorded as James Clifford

I think it is highly probable that James Clifford (b.1882) is the James Clifford recorded in 1901 in Kent (Soldier)

Offline DKimberley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 06 December 11 20:58 GMT (UK) »
thanks Joe. It would be great if that is indeed the line that i should follow. I just need to gather a few more facts from relatives as i really didn't think my nan had any brothers. I really don't think that my dads side have bothered too much about their roots - not exactly close - but i'll make a few calls and see what i can find.

The picture i've posted of my Grandad James Clifford may then suggest he was a former soldier. hmmmm