Author Topic: Nelsons lane, maryport  (Read 3750 times)

Offline SHADDY82

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Nelsons lane, maryport
« on: Sunday 04 December 11 03:07 GMT (UK) »
hi,
could anyone tell me where Nelsons lane was in maryport? I know where Nelsons street is, but as it was there when Nelsons lane was in existence, I figure it cant be the same place with a name change. Its often referred too and apparently had a workhouse on it but nobody ive asked seems to know not even the old timers in the area. would really appreciate it if anyone could help me out here. thanks. :)

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Nelsons lane, maryport
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 December 11 09:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi SHADDY82, welcome to RootsChat :)

I'm not sure there was any particular difference between Nelson St and Lane  :-\

I see Sarah METCALF had the White Swan in Nelson Lane in the 1847 directory, but in the 1851 census she was an Innkeeper in Nelson St.  The 1901 directory has Nelson St for the White Swan.

Likewise, Jane WALKER, Grocer ... Nelsons Lane in the 1847 directory, Nelson St in the 1851 census.

It's quite possible as the town expanded that what was once a lane became a street. :)
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline z

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 December 11 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shaddy82

Not sure whether you have this already but it may help .......................

I am not from the area but you will find a Nelsons Lane, Township Maryport in 1841 at  H0107 161 12 Pg 1 maybe you can use this and compare the enumerators description of Nelson Street, Township Maryport in 1851 H0107 2435 520 1.

Having looked at both descriptions I agree with Geoff E, perhaps it was a lane that became a street, as it does appear to be in the same location, anyway see what you think.

Can't find a workhouse though, although using www.workhouses.org.uk website there is mention of a workhouse in Nelsons Lane in 1829 and further info suggests that a new workhouse was built in 1840/3 - only guesswork but perhaps the workhouse in Nelsons Lane was gradually phased out, which would account for it's absence in the 1841 census but further investigation would be required to support this theory. 

Regards

Z :)

Welcome to Rootschat  :)

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 December 11 14:23 GMT (UK) »
... further info suggests that a new workhouse was built in 1840/3 -

That was in Cockermouth though, wasn't it? :)

Offline z

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 December 11 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi

That was in Cockermouth though, wasn't it? :)

My apologies if I have misunderstood but I read that Cockermouth Union Workhouse at the top of Sollart Street, was erected in 1840 and that the Union was divided into four registration districts of Cockermouth, Keswick, Workington and Maryport - therefore I have taken this to mean that Cockermouth Union Workhouse would have been responsible for those persons of Maryport who had fallen on hard times and hence my reason for not being able to locate a Workhouse in Nelson Lane in the 1841 census and also forgot to mention earlier that I couldn't find a Nelson Street either in 1841 only Nelson Lane.

Regards

Z :)

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 December 11 22:17 GMT (UK) »
My apologies if I have misunderstood but I read that Cockermouth Union Workhouse at the top of Sollart Street, was erected in 1840 and that the Union was divided into four registration districts of Cockermouth, Keswick, Workington and Maryport - therefore I have taken this to mean that Cockermouth Union Workhouse would have been responsible for those persons of Maryport who had fallen on hard times ...

I was imagining it was a greater distance, but I see it's only 7 miles from C'mouth to Maryport.  I'm sill a bit suprised that there was no sign of the Maryport w'house in 1841 though. :)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 05 December 11 18:03 GMT (UK) »
Carlisle Journal 1841
"..... that commodius and well accustomed Inn or Public house, situate in King Street, in Maryport aforesaid, called the Cross Keys, with the four-stalled stable behind the same, opening onto Nelson's Lane, and other outbuildings and appurtenances"

regards 

Offline Lost Rackley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 29 August 15 15:49 BST (UK) »
There was a Workhouse at nearby Flimby.
Never come across a Workhouse in Maryport.
My family lived on Nelson Street, not sure where Nelson Lane was.

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 29 August 15 16:42 BST (UK) »
Flimby Lodge was apparently a workhouse school.

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Cockermouth/