Author Topic: Hampshire Hatches 1800's  (Read 5721 times)

Offline raven-1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hampshire Hatches 1800's
« on: Sunday 04 December 11 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Travellers of Hampshire.
It doesn’t take long to realise from the 1841census addresses, Hampshire Hatcthes, Burton Common, Hordle Common, Thorney Hill and Hinton, that my ancestors were probably, at one time Wagoner’s or travellers.
Although my ancestor’s names are well established in the general area now, these particular places don’t seem to have been or become residential areas. Does anyone know or have, thoughts, idea’s about the way these people lived back then.
Rav.

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Hampshire Hatches 1800's
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 December 11 14:09 GMT (UK) »
There is a section for travellers on Rootschat in the special interest section. Quite a lot of the areas you mention are in the New Forest, and certainly there are places called Hordle, Thorney Hill, Hinton etc today. Is there anyone in particular that you are looking for?
regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline raven-1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 December 11 15:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Paco
My family tree contains the names Dimot, Kitcher, Young & James, all large and as you say New Forest families. Their migration around the area suggests a way of life that is of particular interest.
How did, say my 3x great grandmother meet her husband when in fact they lived many miles apart, we know there were only a few roads, so did these places have some connection in the movement of people at this time.
I know, living in Christchurch for years & years & years, how Thorney Hill developed, but why were these people there originally.

PS
Left over Nissan huts on the old Holmsley ( Plain Heath ) airfield were used to house bombed out refugee's from London after the war, I’m  not sure if any families remained at Thorney Hill itself but a number did move to the then new Somerford Estate.

Offline Bilge

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 December 11 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Have you read this?

http://www.geodata.soton.ac.uk/newforest/public/resources/eastb.html

I am pretty sure about two years ago there was another member researching Kitchers.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,3364.0.html
ABELL-Hfds & Glouc. AWFORD-Glouc, Hfds & Worcs. DANTER-Glouc,Hfds & Worcs. DAUNTER-Hfds, Glouc & Worcs. BAYLISS-Worcs & Glouc. BILLINGHAM-Hfds. JENKINS-Glam, & Hfds. PIPER-Suffolk, Glam & Hfds. CULLUM-Hfds, Suffolk & Mom.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 December 11 16:26 GMT (UK) »
If you search Rootschat using the search button at the top of the page you will find several threads about the KITCHERS.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline raven-1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 December 11 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both Bearkat & Bilge for your interest.
I have seen most of the info on suggested sites, finding the correct branch of the Kitcher tree, is a problem, I have not managed to link any of that info into my tree so far.
Like most of the branches Kitcher’s run out in the late 1700’s last being James Kitcher b 1794, m 1824, Milton to Harriet Dimot. d 1879
Regards.

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 December 11 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Try sending Amy K a personal message.  She has done a lot of research on the KITCHERS.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 04 December 11 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Do you have access to a copy of Comyn's New Forest?
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE

Offline raven-1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 04 December 11 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello Bearkat.
If its the notes of Rev H Comyn in Sway Snippets then yes.
I found them fascinating and a good read showing just how closely knit communities were back then, However, even with all the detail of Kitchers of Fawley & Border I haven’t found a James of the right age yet. James 1794 would have been about 20 yrs when the Rev did his tour. My James married in Milton & was living in Bashley in 1841.
Regards.
PS Hampshire Keeping's also feature in my tree