Author Topic: CONNOLLY and QUIGLEY Co Donegal 1800 TO 1900  (Read 7500 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: CONNOLLY and QUIGLEY Co Donegal 1800 TO 1900
« Reply #9 on: Friday 10 June 16 09:00 BST (UK) »
If you send information by Private Message then others trying to help have no idea what else has been found.
I some posted details I found and have more which I didn't post yet but since dinny has been online several times since (and not responded on the thread) and I've no idea what other information maggsie might have found then I'll not bother posting anything more here.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 10 June 16 11:27 BST (UK) »
Ok,
Well aghadowey in the previous replies when I give information you usually contradict me.
I sent Dinny a marriage record.
As some people don't put the whole story in, it makes it harder to find the info for them, so it's up to them to reply with
You got it wrong as the parents were....then they say additional information.
or
You got it correct.....Thanks.
So there you go that's why I sent a Private Message.
Maggsie

Offline dinny

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 10 June 16 16:15 BST (UK) »
Hello Maggsie - Thank you for your message containing the marriage certificate.  I don’t have a copy of the certificate but found a record of the marriage on site with the same basic info.   

Do you have a connection with this family?

Have I caused you to get off-side with Aghadowey?  If so, I apologise to you both.

I am still “learning to fly this kite of a site” and have had to work out how to read and answer a personal message but managed to work it out. 

Regards & thanks.  Dinny.

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 11 June 16 14:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Dinny,
That's ok, no I am not related to you or any of the family, I just like to help.
No it's ok with Ag what ever the name is, it's seems to be on going haha!
Maggsie

Offline dinny

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 09 February 17 19:13 GMT (UK) »

Hi Agadowey – I refer you to your posting of 7 June 2016 –

Robert Connolly m. Sarah Quigley 1848.   They are the parents of Robert Henry Connolly b.c.1850/51.  This Robert Henry Connolly left Ireland in 1876 but not for Canada or Scotland.
You are dealing with more than one different individuals.       

The Esther to whom you refer (m. to a James Murphy in 1852)  to be Robert’s (m. to Sarah Quigley) sister.  Robert and Sarah (nee Quigley) later named one of their daughters Esther.
Good luck in your search for the merry adder of unchecked records.

Regards – Dinny.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 09 February 17 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Robert Connolly m. Sarah Quigley 1848.   They are the parents of Robert Henry Connolly b.c.1850/51.  This Robert Henry Connolly left Ireland in 1876 but not for Canada or Scotland.
You are dealing with more than one different individuals.

It wasn't me that was confused-
According to an online tree- esther Connolly was born 3 March 1828 Co. Antrim (which sounds possible) but her parents were Malcolm Connolly (born 1865!) & Mary Wilson (born 1867!) which is impossible!!! tree also has son Robert born 1853 Ireland but then same son born 1850!!! and in the middle of living in Ontario they are shown as being in Perthshire, Scotland in 1891 census. Obiviously the tree owner (or whoever they copied from) has been merrily adding records without checking or even thinking  ::)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline dinny

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 08 March 17 18:11 GMT (UK) »

The Esther Connolly b. 1928 may be the sister of  Robert Connolly who was, according to oral history, b. c. 1830.    Robert Connolly m. Sarah Quigley 1948 in Co Donegal and his father was a Malcolm Connolly, farmer of Co Antrim.   

Robert Connolly was a sub constable born c. Antrim – pursuant to the rules of the RIC/RUC he could not serve in his own County and if he married in the County he served, the couple would have to move again as he could not serve in the County of his wife.   They married in Co Donegal the county of Sarah’s birth.   

A Robert Connolly and his wife Sarah nee Quigley had a daughter, Eliza Esther b. 1865 in Co Meath.

Dinny.   

Offline LindeL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 21:13 BST (UK) »
When I was talking to my brother at Easter, he told me he’d met a Presbyterian Connolly from Rasharkin, whose family used the name Robert, just as our line does; both my brother and his acquaintance wonder if there is a link. The Rasharkin man had information on a couple of generations back, and thinks they originally came from Armoy, where we also had connections several generations ago. I was sure I could let the Rasharkin man have a bit more information, because I’d worked on that line at one time. When I checked on Rootschat this week, it was interesting to see that the discussion on those families has been live again recently; coincidences!

I have found a good bit of material online; the Irish censuses, of course, and GRONI and Irish Genealogy but also from Causeway Coast and Glens Family History Society members’ pages (thanks to Kate Connolly and colleagues for their trasncriptions), and also Bill Macafee’s pages and Ballymoney Museum. And of course Rootsweb and the helpful people here; most of the earler material was dug out by Aghadowey and others and posted on Rootsweb. So here is a suggested line of descent cobbled together from all of these hints and info.. Let me have any warnings about errors before I contact my brother and his acquaintance in Rasharkin. I don’t want to mislead the Rasharkin family.

The Rasharkin man’s grandparents were Robert Connolly and Agnes Campbell. Robert was christened Robert Henry C. but also known as Robert Scott Connolly. He was born around or in 1879. Robert and Agnes married in 1906; he was from Churchtamlaght, Rasharkin, she from Fernagh, her father Alexander. His was John Connolly (1831?-1914). I had a bit of trouble figuring out John’s family, because I believe he married twice and both his wives were called Nancy and both died young, possibly in childbirth?? First marriage was in Kirkinriola in 1855 to Nancy Scott, b. 1829? her father was Robert. Second marriage was to Nancy McMullan 1846-83, who was thus a lot younger than his first wife. I believe Robert Scott Connolly was son of this woman, rather than of Nancy Scott; it confused me that he has the name of the Scott father of Nancy Scott, but possibly there had been a close relationship with Robert Scott, or an inheritance? even after Nancy Scott Connolly’s death which was in 1868. John and Nancy McMullen had a daughter Jane, who died in 1874 aged 18, presumably called for her grandmother Jane, who was wife of Malcolm Connolly.

John was apparently son of Malcolm Connolly and Jane, whose dates seem to be 1788?-1850,  and to have been with them in the 1841 census, in the td of Granagh, according to the OAP query forms. Here is where it gets a bit more speculative; Charles Connolly of Rasharkin married Bessie Steele in 1849; he also is son of Malcolm. Robert Connolly a sub-constable in the RIC, son of Malcolm, in 1849, married Sarah Quigley in Burt co. Donegal, where presumably he had been stationed. In this instance, Malcolm is said to have been a farmer with interests also in the linen trade (Rootschat;  family lore Dinny). Are these three thus all brothers? A Malcolm died in 1866 age 81. Esther Connolly daughter of Malcolm married James Murphy in 1852 in Rasharkin and went to Canada, apparently.

So in conclusion, any connection with Armoy is long ago, and Rasharkin has been their home for more than the three generations that was believed. However, there are or have been Malcolm Connollys in Armoy, even recently; there was a Malcolm Connolly a grocer in Armoy in 1959, just as there was a Malcolm Connolly, grocer, in Moneyleck, Rasharkin who died in 1918, aged 45. Our Kilraughts Connollys seem to have been related to Connollys of Drumdollagh, near Armoy, who were grocers. But apart from these coincidences, I can’t see a clear connection. But probably there was one, we have forgotten how!

Offline dinny

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 12 May 18 20:49 BST (UK) »

Agadowey – ref. yours  Tuesday 07 June 16 09:55 BST (UK) »

Reference to Esther Connolly born 3 March 1828 sounds correct.   This particular Esther married a James Murphy (ref. info below) and they did go to the US.  As you point out, the rest of the info you have found is erroneous. 

ESTHER CONNOLLY – daughter of Malcolm. 
http://www.torrens.org/ListArchives/4qd-bannvalley/2003-July.txt
James and Elizabeth Reid Murphy had five children  I believe it is =
Moneysallin townland=20

James married Esther Connolly [ Father: Malcolm ] at Rasharkin on March =
9 1852

There is, however, an Eliza Esther, niece of the above, born to Robert & Sarah (Quigley) Connolly in 1865. .  Robert Connolly was brother to the 1828 Esther, both sharing Malcolm as their father.    Malcom Connolly, father of Robert & Esther was married twice.   
Regards – Dinny.