Author Topic: Cullen Armagh  (Read 2415 times)

Offline andrewmartinsmith

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cullen Armagh
« on: Sunday 04 December 11 14:59 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find more about the roots of Patrick Cullen born circa 1827 in Armagh. ( I think Cullen must be a common name in Armagh at the time and have been told there were 11 Patrick Cullens born in Armagh between 1820 and 1830)
Our Patrick joined the 46th foot in Liverpool in 1848 ( I know from the Armagh Guardian records that the 46th foot had had a depot in Armagh in 1845 so there was a connection between the city and that particular regiment at the time. I have no record of his religion.
Patrick's army records say his age given at joining in 1847 was 21 and by trade a labourer but he may have been a little younger and just given 21 as his age to qualify for full status.
He served 21 years and retired as a Chelsea Pensioner to Newark on Trent
He married Eliza Siggery and what may be a clue to Patrick's armagh roots is his eldest son was called George Henry. Other children were Alice Julia '62, Farnboro, Elizabeth '64 Buttevant, George Henry '67 Newark, Mary '70 Newark and Frederick '72 Newark
The birth at Buttevant while on duty there might also be a clue.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cullen Armagh
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 December 11 15:31 GMT (UK) »
...have been told there were 11 Patrick Cullens born in Armagh between 1820 and 1830)
It's quite likely that there were more Patrick Cullins born in Armagh 1820-1830 since not all baptismal records survive and of those that do exist not all are available online.

If anyone can help details can be posted on previous thread-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,470121.msg3786748.html#msg3786748
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!