Author Topic: Findlay, McIntosh, Wood  (Read 4879 times)

Offline Fkelleyf

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Findlay, McIntosh, Wood
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 07 December 11 01:38 GMT (UK) »
Wow...thank you Gali for this information.  This is definitely my Margaret McIntosh.  The Peacock name is listed on Margaret's marriage registration. 

Offline Gali

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 07 December 11 14:52 GMT (UK) »
I've just been looking at the marriage cert, it's not the clearest of handwriting from the registrar!  What do you think the names of the witnesses are?  David Blackwell or Bracewell and Maria or Mary Farquhar or Ferguson?  And what is William Wood's mother's maiden name - Finch?  Firmin?  Very difficult to read ...

Offline Fkelleyf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 07 December 11 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gali,

I haven't been able to decipher my g-grandfather's mother's maiden name either, even with the SP copy I ordered.  I see a F and two i's with an n. I ran it through the surname list and came up with a couple of possibilities. It's a dead end for now, until I can confirm where they came from.
I read the first witness as David Blackwell and the second witness as Mary Ferguson. I'm not sure if they were friends or just people from the registrar's office.  I've had very little luck researching my grandfather William1 or g-grandfather [William-1]. Most of what I've found is by tracking  their brother/son Alexander Findlay Wood and culling from that information. 

Her story (as I've pieced together so far) makes me sad.  A lot of abandonment in one form or another from various family members. I've spoken to a distant relative who knew my Uncle Alex and even he didn't have anything nice to say about his mother. I have a photo taken of her in the early 1900's and she looks completely beaten down. 

Thanks again for all you help with this.

Offline Gali

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 08 December 11 07:49 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I have ancestors in my tree who seem to have had lives blighted by sadness, although I suppose the picture we have of them can only ever be incomplete, it's all compelling stuff trying to find out more about them.

I have had no luck finding Margaret on the 1871 census.  It looks as if she died in 1943 in Kirriemuir. 

It looks as though her daughter, Mary Jane was married in 1908 to a David Taylor in Kirriemuir, potential 1911 census entry for them in Tannadice.  David Taylor is the next of kin on the death cert for Margaret. 

I note from his marriage cert that William was living at Dudhope Barracks at the time of his marriage in 1879, interestingly this was the last year that the buildings there were used as a barracks.

I've looked at this site http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/ and found a couple of potential stories relating to William:

Dundee Courier and Argus, Oct 22 1889 - William Wood, labourer, Watson St (same address as per 1891 census) before Dundee Police Court
Dundee Courier, Nov 22 1892 - William Wood, labourer, Lilybank Road (which backs onto/continues into Watson St) before Dundee Police Court

It might be worth speaking with Dundee Archives team to find out if there are records still in existence from the Police Court? 

PM me your email address and I'll send you copies of the above.   

Offline Fkelleyf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 08 December 11 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Morning Gali,

You're very good at this! You should give classes.  My email is *  Thank you!
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.