Author Topic: CONNOLLY AND QUIGLY MEATH  (Read 9692 times)

Offline dinny

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
CONNOLLY AND QUIGLY MEATH
« on: Sunday 04 December 11 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have a Robert Connolly, Sarah Quigly and their daughter Lucy Letitia Connolly b. 1875 Kells, Meath Ireland?  Thank you, Dinny.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: CONNOLLY AND QUIGLY MEATH
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 December 11 20:18 GMT (UK) »
You've also a Connolly/Quigley topic on DONEGAL board- when I asked, you were unable to provide more details. Does this new topic mean you now have more information and they were in Meath not Donegal?
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,569756.msg4219952.html#msg4219952
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 December 11 22:25 GMT (UK) »
www.familysearch.org list several children for Robert Connolly & Sarah Quigly:
Eliza Esther Connolly born 1 Mar.1865 Nobber Co.Meath (page 993 in civil register)- mother's name Seragh
Ellen Sophia Connolly born 13 May 1867 Nobber Co.Meath
Lucy Letitia Connolly born 25 Feb.1875 Kells Co,Meath
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline dinny

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 December 14 14:50 GMT (UK) »
Aghadowey - Sorry I have been a while compiling this information and getting back to you.

Robert Connolly and Sarah Quigley were from Co Donegal.  Robert was a sub-constable.   There were at least two other children - earlier than the 3 girls reported by you (thanks).   I have scant oral notes left for me by a deceased relative in which she recalls her grandfather speaking of his mother Sarah Quigley/Connolly and a favourite sister Lucy.   

Could Robert have been transferred to Co Meath in his position as sub-constable?   

At the time of their marriage in 1848 in Co Donegal,  Robert's residence is listed as Burnfoot and Sarah was from Elaghbeg.   Robert's father was Malcolm Connolly and Sarah's father was William Quigley.

1851 census finds Sarah Connolly visiting her brother William Quigley at Elaghbeg Co Donegal.

I believe I am on the right trail and welcome any information from anyone who may recognise these people.   Thanks.  Dinny.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 December 14 13:44 GMT (UK) »
To the best of my knowledge a serving policeman was not allowed serve in his native county or that of his spouse either that would probably explain his moving to Meath
Searching for a Malcolm Connolly in Donegal dosent seem to yield anything however there is one in parish of Rasharkin ,Ballymoney,Co Antrim c 1860
http://www.billmacafee.com/1860griffiths/northmidantrimgriffiths.pdf
A follow up on this leads to a possible son John married to a Nancy McMullen
https://familysearch.org/search/collection/results?count=20&query=%2Bfather_givenname%3Ajohn~%20%2Bfather_surname%3Aconnolly~%20%2Bmother_givenname%3Anancy~%20%2Bmother_surname%3Amcmullen~&collection_id=1584963

Malcolm grandson 1911?
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Killoquin/Rasharkin_Town/130127/

I am open to correction on this perhaps Robert was only serving in Donegal but was from a different county.

Offline dinny

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 December 14 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Dathai - I will have a look at the references you have given me.

It sounds feasible to me also - Robert had a son also in the  RIC/RUC and he is on the list of Donegal born men.  The son married a lady from Co Monaghan so he too would have served away from the place of his birth (probably Monaghan) - based on your thinking.   I have not read James Herlihy's books due to them being unavailable at libraries or bookshops in this country.   It is an expensive process to acquire records from Kew and during the course of my genealogy I believe there will be more than 2 lots of records to obtain.   Facts as you have provided (why men are placed away from the place of their birth) are of interest to me.   Thanks again.  Regards - Dinny. 

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 December 14 21:04 GMT (UK) »

Offline dinny

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
malcolm connolly+ayrshire
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 04 August 15 14:13 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know of a Malcolm Connolly who had a son Robert b. Scotland.  Don't have specific dates, sorry.  From 1800's through to 1900's. 

This family could have gone to Co Antrim Ireland.  Thanks, Dinny.

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: malcolm connolly+ayrshire
« Reply #8 on: Monday 17 August 15 09:40 BST (UK) »
Hi, I checked records in Ireland & Scotland. In Ireland there appears to be no birth for a Robert Connolly with a father named Malcolm in the parish records. Then I looked at Scotlands People website. In the Catholic parish registers and in the birth registers pre 1855 I could find no Robert Connolly with father Malcolm born 1800-1899. Now with the Statutory registers, which started in 1855, between 1855-1899 there are births for 95 Robert Connollys in the whole of Scotland. You now have 2 choices- to either find out more  about Malcolm & Robert to narrow the amount of birth records down or pay (as this is a pay per view site) to open each of the 95 births to see if there is one with the father's name being Malcolm. Of that, there are no guarantees. I would recommend the former. If I can help further, let me know, Kim