Author Topic: Grangegorman Mental Hospital  (Read 13302 times)

Offline maria.smyth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Grangegorman Mental Hospital
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 23 November 14 09:48 GMT (UK) »
I too discovered that my grandfather's brother ended his days in Grangegorman and was interested to find out more.  I contacted the website and had a nice reply from a guy who had previously worked there and was some sort of curator.  He was in touch until earlier this year and now I can't seem to raise him and nor can I get a reply from the Grangegorman website.  I will keep persevering as I will be in Dublin in the summer and hope to find out more.

I'd be interested in any updates people might have.

Offline brianoleary85

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 23 November 14 11:36 GMT (UK) »
Earlier this year I was also trying to research a family member who died there in the 1920s, but couldn't get anywhere. I was in contact with a Priest, the former chaplain there, who had a lot of dealings with handling the archives, and the records seem to have been transferred to the National Archives. I've sent several emails to the National Archives just trying to confirm if they had the records, but didn't even get a reply.

I've since seen in the National Archives 2013 Director's Report:
"Grangegorman Hospital Archives: Wellcome Trust project, years 1 and 2
Two grants awarded by the Wellcome Trust in 2012 fund work on the archives of
Grangegorman Hospital. The work is carried out by a project team consisting of an
Archivist, a Conservator, a Project Assistant and a Preservation Assistant. Good progress
was made in the cleaning, arrangement, listing and conservation of the collection by the
end of 2013.
Grangegorman Hospital was founded as the Richmond Asylum in 1814 and became the
largest and most important psychiatric hospital in Ireland. The archives are the most
voluminous collection of hospital archives known in Ireland. We are grateful to the
Wellcome Trust and to the management team in Grangegorman Hospital (St Brendan’s)
for their support."

So, as far as I can ascertain, in the last few years the papers have changed hands and are not accessible at the present time. Hopefully the conservation/cataloging process will be done soon though. (Knowing the National Archives, however, I somehow doubt it).

My only worry is that now that it is in the National Archives far stricter rules will apply in accessing material in terms of protection of privacy, etc. for patients from the 1910s on.

Offline maria.smyth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 23 November 14 12:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks BrianOleary85, that sounds about right  -I keep hitting blank walls.  I am having the same problems.  It's really frustrating that nobody even bothers to answer emails.  Please keep in touch and let me know if you have any news, I will do likewise.  So much for "freedom of information" or maybe I'm wrong and that doesn't exist in Ireland.

REgards

Maria Smyth

Offline brianoleary85

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 23 November 14 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Will do Maria. Thanks for that. I suppose its fair enough that they have to juggle patients' private information with access to historical archives, but it is certainly frustrating when you can't even get a reply to an email!

I'll try and remember to add to this thread again when I hear more about the Grangegorman archives, hopefully it'll be sooner rather than later and I haven't forgotten!

Brian

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 28 November 14 17:37 GMT (UK) »
Just marking this thread.
I intend to chase up great-uncle James presently .. will keep an eye out here.

regards eadaoin
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 28 November 14 21:14 GMT (UK) »

Offline Miss Trees

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 18 June 16 20:04 BST (UK) »
If anyone is still looking, I have managed to get a relative's records from Richmond District Lunatic Asylum (Grangegorman). They are now held by Phoenix Care Centre.
Not sure if I can post someone's direct email but you can pm me and I can give you details.

Offline Dylan86

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 01 September 18 22:08 BST (UK) »
Dear Shane or anyone,
     I am trying to find out whether or not a James Henry Farrell passed away while at the Richmond Asylum in Grangegorman around 1912 or in the years soon after. I am not a direct relation and am doing this for academic research purposes, trying to track down the death of a particular Dublin figure. Does anybody know how I could go about finding that information? Thank you.

- Dylan