Author Topic: Davis family of Ablington/Bibury lookup please  (Read 3694 times)

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Davis family of Ablington/Bibury lookup please
« on: Monday 05 December 11 15:12 GMT (UK) »
George Davis married Mary Fox in Cirencester 12 June 1803.  So far as I know they lived in Ablington until sometime in the 1820s, when they moved to Taynton, Oxfordshire (not the Gloucestershire Taynton).

I believe that children born in Ablington would most likely be baptised at Bibury.  I don't know how many children George and Mary had, because they and most of the family emigrated to Canada in 1832.

These are the Davis children that I know about:
Elizabeth -  born 6 August 1805. She married in 1829 and remained in England (the birthdate is from her MI).  She names her birthplace as Ablington.
Mary Fox - born c1806.  She emigrated and married in Canada, but later returned to England.  On 1851 and 1861 censuses she names her birthplace as Bibury, then Ablington.
Jane born c1807.  She also remained in England and names her birthplace as Ablington.
William Fox born c1812. Emigrated.
Amy born c1813. Emigrated.  A short biographical note about her husband says she is the fifth daughter of George Davis. 
John Fox  born c1815.  Emigrated but is visiting Elizabeth in 1851. Birthplace Ablington.
Helen born c1824.  Emigrated. A marriage notice for her says she is the sixth daughter of George Davis.

So there is definitely a daughter unnaccounted for between Jane and Amy, and there is rather a long gap between John and Helen.  Mary (mother) was born c1784, so was aged about 40 when Helen was born.

George himself may have been born in Ablington/Bibury, but I don't know when.  (An Elizabeth and an Amy Davis, also linked to this family may be his sisters, as they both say they were born in Ablington). 
The 1851 census for Guelph, Ontario, where George Davis and his family settled has not survived, and he died in 1859.  The only death notice I have found does not give his age.

I know this is rather a lot to ask, but if there is anyone who can help with lookups of baptisms for this family I would be very grateful - and if you have managed to get this far, but can't help, thank you anyway for taking the trouble to read this   :).

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sharon01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Davis family of Ablington/Bibury lookup please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 December 11 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

A tree on family search has a George Davis born 08/10/1808 Ablington died 23/09/1892
Guelph Township, Ontario, Canada . Parents George Davis & Mary Fox.

Sharon
Fagan/England/Ireland
Aldridge/London
Sills/London/Kent
Hartwell/London
Salkeld/Cumberland/Northumberland
Robinson/London
Stewart/Ireland/Scotland/England

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 December 11 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sharon: I hadn't spotted that one.  So, eight children, and counting - and even better, there's a note about the family to show that George was 80 - or possibly 84 - when he died. 

I tend not to bother looking at trees on familysearch, as I have seen rather a lot of inaccuracies - let that be a lesson to me  ;D .

Offline caralyn zeitler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 September 13 07:31 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I was very excited to read this post yesterday as Amy Davis (b.1812/13) was my 3rd great grandmother.  I jointed Ancestry.ca in February & no one has detailed information about the family like you seem to!  My Grandmother's middle name was Frampton & I see that Elizabeth Davis (b 1806) married a Richard B. Frampton in 1829. I'm not sure why they would have named people after a relative's husband?  My Grandmother's father was Frederick Frampton Garden.  I don't have the married names for all the siblings you mentioned.  I was wondering if you ever found the missing daughter?  I would love to know anything about this family!!!

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 September 13 08:04 BST (UK) »
Hi,
From my own resources at home I can let you have the following data:-
Amey DAVIS & John Fox DAVIS, dau & son of George & Mary, a Farmer of Ablington, baptised at St Mary, Bibury, 3rd May 1815.
My baptism data covers the period 1813-1837, but there is NO trace of a baptism for Helen.
George DAVIS of Bibury married Mary FOX at Cirencester, 12th June 1803, by Licence.
I can do earlier lookups for you, if you wish, at the Gloucestershire Archives, so do ask if you require any specific lookups.
Victor
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline caralyn zeitler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 September 13 08:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for the info! 

Offline caralyn zeitler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 September 13 16:03 BST (UK) »

Hi,

I found another child for George Davis & Mary Fox (Ancestry.ca).  I didn't see it at first because the name was transcribed as Davies.  But other trees had his as Charles H. Davis b. 1821 in Ablington, Gloucestershire.  He married in Wellington, Ontario.  Just wondering if there is any record of his baptism at St. Mary?

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 September 13 16:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Caralyn. I have sent you a PM.

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 08 September 13 17:01 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I've found a baptism for a Charles Henry DAVIS, son of George & Mary, a Farmer of Kemble, baptised at All Saints, Kemble, 23rd November 1820.
Kemble, like, Ablington & Bibury, are all in the same Gloucestershire area.
Victor
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway