Author Topic: trying to william James Smith in USA censuses  (Read 4167 times)

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
trying to william James Smith in USA censuses
« on: Tuesday 06 December 11 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I have been searching the 1910 and 1920 (census) for William James Smith, born Wales in 1880, on Ancestry.  But I cannot find one entry for anyone born in Wales.

This seems very strange or am I looking in the wrong place?

Cheers,
Abiam2

Offline Holly Golightly

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: trying to william James Smith in USA censuses
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 December 11 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

What information do you have on William that suggests he was in the United States then? And do you know the state or anyone that he would be with?

Holly
"All lookups are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 December 11 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Do you know where he was living before or after that?  I wouldn't limit yourself to looking only at census records with that exact information, as it's pretty common for ages to be slightly off and middle names aren't typically included in US census records.

If you have an exact date of birth for him, I would recommend looking for a WWI draft registration card for him.  Men of his age who weren't in the military at the time would be required to fill one out.  That might give you a little information on where to look for 1910 & 1920, as well.

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 December 11 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your replies. Will get back to you,
Abiam2 :)

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 April 12 14:30 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Some more news about my William James Smith. 
His parents were John Smith and Mary Davies living in Nantgawr, South Wales.
William was born in Whitchurch Glamorgan in 1880.  The family believe he went to New York and then Philadelphia.

In 1947 a Post office savings claim, that has suddenly appeared, on the death of William's brother - John Richard Smith - It states on the form that he, (John Richard) has one living brother residing in the USA - JAMES ST CLAIR SMITH aged 62 or more.  The Great grandson who I am helping cannot understand where this name has come from.

I have tried looking on Ancestry and FindMyPast also Ellis Island.  I found a St Clair Smith on the 1920 census (arrived 1905), right age and born in Wales. He is married to an Irish woman Sarah A and they have 5 children.  Maybe he changed his name on arrival?  Can anyone help please?

Also how do I go about trying to find a marriage for this William James / St Clair Smith?

Thanks in advance for any help offered,
Abiam2

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 April 12 14:46 BST (UK) »
The same family seems to be in Philadelphia for the 1930 Census.  There is a family tree that shows William James St. Clair Smith & Sarah Henderson as parents of Samual Clair Smith (born abt. 1909 & died 1 Sep. 1984 in Clearwater, Florida). 

There is a Philadelphia marriage index at www.familysearch.org, but I didn't see a likely match.  They may have married elsewhere.

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 16 April 12 15:07 BST (UK) »
Hi, That was quick!  I am really out of my depth here.  Was the tree on Ancestry?  If it is I can have a look.
I have no idea where they married could have been on the boat!  This Sarah appears to be Irish maybe they married in Wales.
If you find anything else I'd be grateful, :)
Abiam2

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 16 April 12 15:18 BST (UK) »
Yes, the tree is on Ancestry. 

There is a WWI Draft Registration for St. Clair Smith of Philadelphia, husband of Sarah Ann Smith.  His date of birth was 4 Aug. 1882, and he had declared his intention to be naturalized.

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 April 12 18:53 BST (UK) »
I am getting there slowly!  I have Sarah's, petition for naturalization dated Nov 1823.  From that her marriage date but not where. Her 4 children's DOB and where,  Although the print is hard to read - Wilmington, Ireland and what looks like Roila, Ruilac.
The 2nd child Vesta F was born in Ireland in1911 if this is correct Sarah must have returned to Ireland.  Or it could be a mistake.
I cannot find the tree on Ancestry, or whether he naturalised and now I have lost his draft record!
Cheers,
Abiam2