Author Topic: Johnstons & Grahams of Cormoy, Aghabog parish  (Read 11001 times)

Offline johntysandra

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Johnstons & Grahams of Cormoy, Aghabog parish
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 26 July 15 22:41 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure what jno would stand for, the first letter could possibly be a j but the second definitely looks like a h and the third an o. I have come accross lots of spelling mistakes in the census etc so I am keeping an open mind. We even had an Armar but odd names tend to make the search easier, especially when the surname is Johnston.
I will take a look at the map to get a better idea where other Johnstons might have lived.
I know Maria was living at 4 Warrington Place in Dublin before her marriage so I wondered if she was staying with relatives.Of course she might have been staying with her mothers relatives as her mother died in Dublin.
I appreciate all the help so far.
The will 1889 in Dublin was interesting(thank you for the link) I had heard stories that my grandfather was treated badly re inheritance. The original will left everything to Margaret for her lifetimeand then it was to be divided between all the children equally. But my great grandfather died before the second will. I don't know why the girls didn't get anything and William was in an asylum. Edward was supposed to have left everthing to charity because he didn't want the family to squabble over it . In his will his beneficiary was Henry Mann  secretary of the commercial union assurance co. My Gx2 grandmothers mother was Lillias Mann. I don't know if there is a relationship there.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 26 July 15 23:02 BST (UK) »
Jno is a standard abbreviation for John. Could the name be James perhaps?

Marriage of Maria Johnston (father transcribed as Colbraith) to William Forrest McClinton was in 1857. Thomas H. Harpur was one of the witnesses.

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline anniehadden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Galbraith Johnston of Moy, Co. Tyrone, & bro. Thomas Johnston of Glennan
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 26 July 15 23:27 BST (UK) »
The earliest registers of Moy Church of Ireland (Armagh diocese) were destroyed in the Four Courts fire in Dublin. In local custody at Moy were: Baptisms, 1880-; marriages, 1845-; burials, 1881-; vestry minutes, 1873-; preachers’ books, 1845-. So, Galbraith Johnston's marriage about 1824 (a date that may be based on birth dates of his children) wouldn't have been in the surviving records anyway, and marriages 1845+ are repeated in civil registrations, so you haven't lost totally crucial data there -- even if a church custodian/cleaner or whoever "dumped" the church records, as you wrote.

You haven't posted enough messages to send a private/personal message to me, but I think I can send one to you, and we can go over further details and exchange document images and so on. Old handwriting can be very difficult to read! Let's see if the P.M. feature works.

Regards,
Annie

Offline johntysandra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 26 July 15 23:36 BST (UK) »
I can't understand why john would be abbreviated to jno?? If I scanned this bit in the will is there anyway I could upload it for someone else to have a look at it.??
 I think Thomas Henry Harpur was my Gx2 grandmothers nephew ie Maria's cousin I will look it up on my tree. It would be great if I could find a street directory or something for that time but I think the census records would have been destroyed.
There was a James and a Thomas Johnston in Knappa and a daughter who married a Galbraith from Omagh !! but I can't fit people into dates that match.
Your help has been great. I feel I have made progress already. 

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 26 July 15 23:41 BST (UK) »
The Latin form of John is Johannes which was abbreviated to Jno. You can post a snippet of the name here to get other opinions and ideas.

The first complete census for Ireland in 1901 but other fragments for a few earlier ones do survive. There is an 1851 Dublin City census-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=403816.0

Some Dublin directories also listed under DUBLIN RESOURCES- more may have come online in the last few years since that topic was written.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=501938.0
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline anniehadden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Galbraith Johnston of Moy, Co. Tyrone, & bro. Thomas Johnston of Glennan
« Reply #14 on: Monday 27 July 15 00:07 BST (UK) »
Sandra,

You said that: <<Galbraith died in 1851 at the age of about 58. The name on his tombstone is Lieutenant Galbraith Johnston.>>

So he was in the military AND he was an officer. It's very likely you can find more records on him in military records. Have you looked yet? If he was 58 in 1851, he was born about 1792-1793 (give or take a few years), and he probably served in the military from age 18-19 until a certain date. If you don't know how to check those records, you'll find a huge volume of British military records (including Ireland) on FindMyPast.com. Sometimes a soldier's marriage is listed in those records; sometimes the birth of a child; sometimes the death of the soldier and the end of his retirement pay or pension -- a date which you already know from his tombstone, but it would be a good additional genealogical record to have. His younger children may have benefited after his death, such as being put to a trade or into a school. His widow may be mentioned in the records, and so on.

Annie

Offline anniehadden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Galbraith Johnston & Margaret Harpur - 1824 marriage licence
« Reply #15 on: Monday 27 July 15 00:11 BST (UK) »
Ireland Diocesan and Prerogative Marriage Licence Bonds indexes 1623-1866

First name(s)    Galbraith
Last name    Johnston
Year    1824
Diocese    Armagh
Spouse's first name(s)    Margaret
Spouse's last name    Harpur
Record set    Ireland Diocesan and Prerogative Marriage Licence Bonds indexes 1623-1866
Category    Birth, Marriage & Death (Parish Registers)

Offline johntysandra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 27 July 15 00:29 BST (UK) »
I remember seeing that record just recently, I have had so much information recently I'm getting confused.So I need to start keeping a file instead of info written down randomly on bits of paper.
I'moff to bed now and I will get back to this in the morning
thanks again
Sandra

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.