Author Topic: Death of Hagar Ann Parker - when?  (Read 4916 times)

Offline grubheam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Death of Hagar Ann Parker - when?
« on: Wednesday 07 December 11 14:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello!

I have a question.

Do we always use our christian name / name we born with - register on death record for England and Wales?

I have an ancestor Hagar Ann Parker nee Luker - born in 1870 in Abingdon, Berkshire and married to Frederick William Parker and the censuses after her marriage shows Hagar changed her name to Annie. She always lived in Islington.

I tried to find Hagar Parker on death records for England and Wales on ancestry. I thought perhaps possibly there is a death record for Annie Parker died in 1930 in Islington.

Is that possible? I can't find change of name poll for her. She always be Annie, never Hagar. I thought it is abit strange as I thought we need christian name from birth & marriage cert to register death.

Am I wrong? Do we just register death with any names whatever we want?
I never register death myself.

Grub 
Gallop / Gallop of Mid & East Dorset & Bournemouth area
Grubheam of Herefordshire
Luker of Abingdon, Berkshire & Tunbridge Wells, Kent
Dwight of Middlesex & London

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Death of Hagar Ann Parker - when?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 December 11 14:29 GMT (UK) »
The death is registered by an informant, and the informant  uses the name the person was known by. Depending who the informant was they could have no knowledge what name the person's birth was registered as. See http://home.clara.net/dixons/Certificates/deaths.htm#COL8
Deed Poll has never been required It always was, and still is, perfectly legal just to change one's name and notify all interested parties, provided there is no intent to defraud or other criminal intent . Deed Poll was usually used by those who considered  possible inheritance difficulties in the future, so was more often used by the wealthier members of society. A notification in the local paper was sometimes used, and for every person who went to the trouble and expense of deed poll, there were numerous others who simply adopted a new name without formality. The name change was usually the surname.
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 December 11 14:49 GMT (UK) »
hi grub
as to the death reg i,ve found this one for an , anne parker  reg dist islington june 1930 vol 1b p 190 .

stan,s post says it all really  ,and  if you think of it how many women would want to go through life being known as hagar for a name it makes perfect sense for her to change to anne especially once she was away from her parents influence .
regards
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 December 11 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Grub - as Stan says the data on the index & certificate reflects that provided by the informant. There was no requirement to support this with evidence (I don't know the current position but that was still the case a few years ago). I've seen names transposed, unused first names disappear as well as spelling variations between birth, marriage & death registrations.

I'm assuming from what you say she was Annie on the censuses & that you've found her in 1911 and would be looking for a death after that? Do you have her husband's death & have you considered a re-marriage after that?

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 December 11 17:32 GMT (UK) »
I have a relative , grandads half brother who was known by 2 different names, i think he used the one to get in the army in ww1 for whatever reason. In registering his death both were noted on the cert. It has otherwise written on the cert to indicate one name.  Recently i decided to get the grave reference, i was surprised that it was also written on the grave details on the cemetry entry.

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 June 13 14:13 BST (UK) »
I have the same inquiry about the death of Miss Annie Luker. The last conclusive census record I have seen for her is 1891 at Westminter St Margaret and St John the Evangelist,Westminster which gives Frederick W Parker b1865 Woodford,Essex, an oyster merchant with wife Hagar Anne Parker b1870 Abingdon. I have information about Fredericks parents and sibling and also for Annie Luker who was born as Hagar Ann Luker. I cant find a marriage records for them or any census after 1891 nor any death/probate/burial information for them. Also did they have any children? Any help appreciated completing the picture after the 1891 cenus.

A search of articles pertaining to Miss Annie Luker shows she was still a competitive swimmer in 1894.In an 1894 interview Annie states that she is married. I also find a reference I=of September 30,1905 of a swim she made as "Miss Annie Luker".I havnt found any articles about her after 1905 so don't know if she was still swimming. Any information?

Im also interested in her father John Pearson Luker(1838-1915). I have his family information and his obituary gives details of his career in Tunbridge Wells from 1881 until his time of death in T.Wells and burial there but nothing about his career before 1881. Any information?

Were  any of Annie Lukers siblings swimmers of any importance? If not what careers did they persue?

Offline grubheam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 28 June 13 20:58 BST (UK) »
Hi, the last record of Hagar/Annie Parker was in 1816, lived at 86 Englefield Rd, Islington.

Since my first thread, I have been meeting a distant cousin, who I did not know, that she have several newspaper clippings on Annie Parker! Hopefully there is an obituary somwhere in these.

Yes her siblings are also swimmers but not professional like Annie. She married in 1890. Her father John was born and lived in Abingdon before 1871 before moved to Tunbridge Wells. I got the Luker family tree on ancestry.

Grub

Gallop / Gallop of Mid & East Dorset & Bournemouth area
Grubheam of Herefordshire
Luker of Abingdon, Berkshire & Tunbridge Wells, Kent
Dwight of Middlesex & London

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 28 June 13 21:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your comments. I hope you will be able to talk to your cousin and see what information she can offer. The obituary/death details for Annie and for her husband would be of interest to me as well as the newspaper clippings you referred to. I got a few articles from the newspaper for Miss Annie Luker but only 3 from the 1890 period so perhaps you can post the others or email them to me by personal message.

This morning I found the 1901 and 1911 census records for Annie. She is found in the 1901 census at 106 Engleford Road in Islington as a swimming instructor and living with her is her 10 year old niece May Waters who was born in Tunbridge Wells 1891 and was one of the children of Annie's sister Kate Elizabeth Waters (1868-1942) nee Luker who married Thomas Truman Waters(1868-1898) in Tunbridge Wells June 1889.Kate Elizabeth Waters died 1942 in Islington and I suspect she was living with Annie in Islington at the time of her death and perhaps before that, which tells me that since Annie and Kate were only 2 years different in age that Annie may have died in the 1940's also. Just speculation so far so I hope the facts will clarify matters.

Offline Lotus004

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 March 18 19:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello Hagar Annie Luker is my chaps relative which I have been researching. Has anyone had any luck finding out when she died?  Her Father Mr John Pearson Luker is Buried in the Tunbridge Wells Cemetery which is in section C13 grave 684. Hope this is of help to someone. Not sure if there is a headstone or not thou.  Hagar Annie Luker - Annie Parker however does not rest there.  For someone so Famous someone must know where she is buried, It seems sad to me that there is limited information regarding where she rests.  Any information would be very much appeciated. Thank you.