Author Topic: Bridget Murphy Langford  (Read 3420 times)

Offline danadavkins

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working.
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bridget Murphy Langford
« on: Thursday 08 December 11 05:02 GMT (UK) »
William Langford of Keel Parish was my grt grt and in the 1850s married Bridget Murphy, always known as Bridget but perhaps baptized as Mary, probably born in the 1830s, birthplace recorded as Republic of Ireland. Her parents were recorded as William and Catherine Murphy. Her birth is recorded as February 2nd on her NY death cert., the birth year is unclear but likely in the 1830s. Her birth and marriage could not be found in the Dublin Library's Keel Parish records or on the Irish Genealogy site. Her only known sibling, Margaret Murphy, married a Michael Mahoney who was possibly the son of John and Margaret Cournane Mahoney of Keel Parish.(marriage in US) Margaret's 1925 NY death cert. records November 3, 1841 as her birth date in the Republic of Ireland. Are there any suggestions regarding a continued search for my Murphys in County Kerry. Thank you.     

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Bridget Murphy Langford
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 December 11 09:27 GMT (UK) »
For reference the records for Keel RC parish are sometimes listed as 'Keel & Kiltalla / Castlemaine' and included on IrishGenealogy under Castlemaine.

Murphy is a very common surname which is going to make your search quite difficult, and Bridget's birth is before the start of a number of the RC parish records...  Do you know Catherine's maiden name - it might help in the search for Bridget's baptism, or maybe one for a sibling ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline danadavkins

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working.
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 December 11 19:21 GMT (UK) »
Shane,

Thank you for your kind response. Thank you too for the other name Kiltilla for the Keel, Castlemaine area. I didn't know of this name for the Keel area. I've been collecting William and Catherine Murphys both in this country and Ireland in hopes of finding Catherine's maiden name. My next plan in this endless search for my Bridget Murphy Langford is to begin posting on rootschat information on her Irish neighbors and friends in her US village. Possibly this will help others and maybe lead me to my Murphys roots. Kieran(Kerry) Sullivan was from Kerry and a close friend and neighbor of my Bridget. I found him and his Kerry family on the Irish genealogy site.

Many thanks,
Sue   

Offline surfingpiglet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 September 19 10:54 BST (UK) »
Also been researching Langfords of Keel. Mother in Law was Sarah Langford. daughter of Michael Langford of keel. Those Langfords were farmers & several emigrated to NY & Chicago in the early to mid 1900s.  Assume you know the Langfords were land owners in earlier days.  Look up Keel House Families commonly married into neighbouring families.  Due to the Potato Famine which killed many there were thousands of Kerry people who emigrated in the 1830s out of desperation., many dying on the voyage. Boats sailed from Tralee at that time and were known as Coffin Ships.