Author Topic: Isaac Saunders-Kilkenny to Winnipeg  (Read 12725 times)

Offline KDee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Isaac Saunders-Kilkenny to Winnipeg
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 11 December 11 21:45 GMT (UK) »
My congratulations too Polar Bear  Your posts were most helpful!

JJ - Thank you!

I was nervous posting my initial inquiry...so instead of ignoring the "tips" and/or guidelines for newbys, I read those sections and the links therein.

Was hoping I didn't break protocol with my lengthy posts.

Moylan, Larkin, Saunders, Walsh, Kilkenny, Laois
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 12 December 11 01:08 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for your good wishes, J.J. and KDee  :). I have a great time trying to ferret out info for folks.

Kind regards
Polarbear
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline KDee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 01 March 12 09:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello All!

Isaac Saunders grand niece Kdee is checking in.

First, thank you all again for your help in finding Isaac. Your time and efforts have been regaled to all the family and friends.

Next, in re-rereading my last post, I'm horrified at how careless I was in how I worded my reply to JJ.

I wrote:
I was nervous posting my initial inquiry...so instead of ignoring the "tips" and/or guidelines for newbys, I read those sections and the links therein.

Which should have read:
...so instead of proceeding with my usual habit of ignoring the "tips" and/or guidelines for newbys, I read those sections and the links therein.

I was directing the "ignoring" comment only at myself.

IF i had thoroughly read the help section, I would have been more aware of how my post could read.

My apologies.

Also, while it took me a few attempts to finally submit a correct order form request, the Library and Archives of Canada just sent word that a copy of Isaac's service file will be completed by March 5, 2012.  I certainly wouldn't have gotten that far without your assistance and direction!

I will post an "Isaac update" once I read the file.

And I do hope that I haven't worn out my welcome on Canada Rootschat.com

All the best
KD

Offline wjekent

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 25 April 13 20:21 BST (UK) »
Like KD, Isaac was also my great uncle and I have been watching from afar with great interest.  But the most amazing  part of Isaac's story is his experiences in Nortern France and Belgium in WW1.  I myself live in Kent, England and regularly visit the continent on holiday and day trips and most of the places mentioned in his battalion history are well known to me. 

Isaac was very badly wounded at the battle of Passchendaele in Nov 1917.  He spent many months recouperating but I think he suffered from the injuries right up to his early death at the age of 56.

The next time I drive through Belgium I will be thinking of him.

On the comment of 19 siblings I have heard that Isac's mother did actually have 22 confinements!

And on the question of family names my grandfather was also a Michael Saunders (b 1882 d 1962) and the second eldest of Isaac's brothers.

But many thanks to you all.

Bill Earls

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 25 April 13 21:52 BST (UK) »
Welcome to the thread, and also to Rootschat, Bill! Enjoy the site...
Hmmm...confinements, this term is new to me...22 births...YIKES!!!
yes the poor lads who fought that wicked war surely held on to their battle scars. Nevermind the effect from the gassing and mental anguish of it all.

and KD I must have missed my notification when you replied....sorry I hadn't answered!   Nobody has ever "worn out their welcome on Canada Rootschat " as far as I know.   :D  ;D
We're here to help out and enjoy doing it.

all the best, J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 25 April 13 22:05 BST (UK) »
Here is the link to the digitized files for Isaac for any family to now have...perhaps a little sad , but also happy that one family member pays for it but then it is there for all...we'll think of it as helping bits of history be revealed.

http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/cef/8001-9000/8659-35.pdf

My grandfather changed forces and went over to a Scottish unit after he was wounded, so I was deprived of most of his information as many U.K. files were destroyed during the 2 WW...I only have the odd mention of him in war diaries, and only because he was an officer was he mentioned occasionally..
Wow, just read to halfway through and see he was really in rough shape, poor lad.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline addergoole

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 08 April 16 22:47 BST (UK) »
Hello  cousin I'm also a grand niece of the tinnislatty 17 I live in cullahill village near tinnislatty, ,my mam is bridie saunders  her dad was walter saunders one of the 17,,,,

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 11 April 16 16:25 BST (UK) »
Hi addergoole,

Welcome to RootsChat, your cousin may have missed your reply, which member are you addressing ?

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KDee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 18:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah,
KDee here.  I received a"Topics Reply" email from RootsChat and contacted addergoole via private message.  I didn't know if I should post it on topic page...sorry to trouble you!
I so love this site...  RootsChat has helped me find another of Isaac's Greats!
While we haven't been able to find Isaac's wife referenced in his military service file and family recollections (also thought to have had 2 children) the RootsChat's members has helped us find Isaac after years of searching.
Best Regards,
KD