Author Topic: Settle family- halifax,hipperholme,Brighouse  (Read 6439 times)

Offline winston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Settle family- halifax,hipperholme,Brighouse
« Reply #18 on: Friday 07 April 06 14:55 BST (UK) »
HI

since the 1851 came online I have been able to add further names to the household of Fanny Smith as mentioned on page 1 of your posting.   the names didn't appear before becasue the site that I first used only list Family names that have been grouped together.

I believe this could  be Alfred Settles wife prior to marriage.  Mary and her sister who all share the same name are all SINGLE

I believe that Fanny Smith was at one point in her life an ELLIS prior to marrying a SMITH

Emma H Ellis born about 1825 in  Lightcliffe Yorkshire
Rachel Ellis born about 1827  ""
Mary Ellis born about 1830  ""

But alas we will have to wait for the release of the 1841 to see for proof if these girls can be found with Fanny or not.

Wendy

P.S Send me aPM if I have lost you you in my ranting
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Blakeley in Batley West Yorks
Turner in Hanging Heaton West Yorkshire
Dann last known area Soothill West Yorks
Hirst in Hanging heaton W Yorks
Moss in Morley and Leeds
Parker in Morley W Yorks
Parker in Hull E Yorks
Tilburns in Morley W Yorks

Offline winston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 07 April 06 15:04 BST (UK) »
Hi

And just to confirm there is a marriage of an Alfred Settle in the July to September quarter of 1851 and there is a Mary Ellis on the same page

Here are the Ref is if you want to check it out for yourself

the marriage was in the Halifax area

Vol  22 
Pg 137

Wendy
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Moss in Morley and Leeds
Parker in Morley W Yorks
Parker in Hull E Yorks

Offline woodydog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 09 April 06 08:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for that Wendy it gives me another piece of the puzzle-I think this puzzle is along the lines of the 3D empire state building puzzle me & the hubby attempted a few years ago, with that we decided it was far better used as a cat toy after some months of trying!!
How did I miss Alfreds marriage???  I probably put in settle as his firstname !!!!
Can't wait until I get afford some more ancestry credits to try to find the little beggar on the 1851 census- he must be there somewhere, transcribed as something but the last time I looked I couldn't come up with anything much!
Thanks again
Rose
Pratt- Catterick/Richmond N.Yorks & Wilsden/Halifax West Yorks
Maylor- Preston/ Poulton Le Fylde
Whitaker- Halifax
Dixon- London & Yorkshire
Booth-Middleton,Oldham,Royton,Lancs
Boyling-Oldham,Royton & Shropshire
Harris- Bradford, Prestwich Manchester
SMITH!! Kirkcaldy, Manchester
Sturgess-  Preston Candover, Hampshire & London
Nixon- London
Walters- London & Hampshire
Settle - Halifax & Brighouse
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline becksxx

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 11 March 13 08:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have been researching this family only in the last two months, however I am very excited to see this post ..

Alfred Settle was born 21 June 1831 in Lightcliffe the son of Ann Settle - father unknown.
Ann Settle was the daughter of My 6 x Great Grandfather Luke Settle She went on to marry after the birth of Alfred to Joseph Wilkinson.

Alfred Lived with his grandfather Luke Settle before marrying Mary Ellis and they had 2 children that I am aware of so far before he emigrated leaving them behind (This I believe was because he defaulted on a Leeds Loan amongst other things)

I am heavily involved in researching this family and the letter transcriptions would help enormously in understanding his reasons for leaving ..

Please contact me back if possible I have researched Mary's life after Alfred left and may beable to fill in some of the gaps.

Many Thanks

Becky ... Nee ...Settle

Offline Lindyboo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 11 March 13 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello becksxx

It's been a while since I looked at the Luke Settle stuff, but I've still got transcribed copies of the letters which were kindly sent to me via this thread.  If you want to PM me with an e-mail address I'll send you a copy and also a link to my family history site re Mrs Susan Sunderland, with whom Luke Settle's family were closely linked.

Regards
Lindyboo
McDANIELSON - worldwide
MULDOON/BANKS Co Sligo
SCHOFIELD Yorkshire
PULLEN/PULLEYN + variants Yorkshire
DUTTON - Stockport, Glossop, Halifax
JACKSON - Stockport
WALKER - Ireland
McDONALD/McDONNELL - Ireland Co Mayo
STAKE - Brighouse
BRADLEY - Pontefract
ASPINALL/SYKES - Brighouse & Ripponden

Offline Tra La La

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 19 August 18 22:01 BST (UK) »
Hello Lindyboo
Not wishing to rain on your parade, but Luke Settle was very much a bit player in the development of Susannah Sykes (1819-1905) who became Mrs Sunderland, The Yorkshire Queen of Song.
The early influences on her musical development were associated with Bridge End Chapel - Gilbert Goldthorpe, Henry Broomhead, John Denham, Daniel Holgate Sugden and George Wilkinson. Looking at the dates and the roles of those involved, Luke Settle’s role could only have been peripheral It is a case of being an old mans tale often repeated, but sadly lacking in evidence.
The WYAS(K) contains a letter headed Mrs Sunderland’s early training. Extract- .... I have never heard of Luke Settle until I read it in the slips (newspaper cuttings).  This is not correct. It was Mr Broomhead, of Bone Gate Academy, and a Mr Goldthorp, gentleman, both of Brighouse, who first brought her out. Mr Broomhead played the violin at the Independent Chapel, Bridge End and I believe Mr Goldthorp was superintendent in the school there. S was a scholar, and was put into the singing pew, and they noticed she had a good voice agreed to help her. Mr Broomhead had her in his school, and taught her reading, writing, arithmetic and geography. Mr Goldthorp taught her music and singing and as she improved they bought her a piano to practice on at home. ........
In later life Mrs Sunderland attributed her success to the training she received from Daniel Holgate Sugden.  He sang with her from 1838 until his death in 1846.

The people of Brighouse donated a trophy for choirs to The Mrs Sunderland Music Festival, which continues to be part of the school choir classes.
 The 2019 Festival will celebrate the bicentenary of the birth of Mrs Sunderland.

Offline winston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 20 August 18 08:03 BST (UK) »
Woodydog,

Don't know if you ever got Ancestry or not but here is Mary Settle in the 1841 census showing her truly as a Ellis not Smith as Becky pointed out sometime back - Did you manage to get a copy of Alfred and Mary's marriage cert yet?

Moss in Morley and Leeds
Parker in Morley W Yorks
Parker in Hull E Yorks