Author Topic: Elizabeth TAYLOR - Born 18-Dec-1819 Launceston, Tasmania  (Read 15866 times)

Offline accam

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Taylor - Born 18-Dec-1819 Launceston, Tasmania
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 11 December 11 11:23 GMT (UK) »
 and this one on woodwards

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/67766525?searchTerm=william woodward&searchLimits=exactPhrase|||anyWords|||notWords|||l-textSearchScope=*ignore*%7C*ignore*|||fromdd|||frommm|||fromyyyy|||todd|||tomm|||toyyyy|||l-title=%7C46|||l-title=%7C23|||l-title=%7C116|||l-title=%7C74|||l-title=%7C170|||l-title=%7C115|||l-word=*ignore*%7C*ignore*|||sortby

Lorraine

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 11 December 11 14:00 GMT (UK) »
That is a great find Lorraine - so much information.

Going back to the 1843 census, William describes himself as an "other free person", which means that he was an ex convict.  The only one that I can see who was in the colony by 1838 was transported on the Prince Regent in 1830.  Tried in Yorkshire, born c1808, native of "near Chesterfield, Derby."

http://search.archives.tas.gov.au/ImageViewer/image_viewer.htm?CON31-1-45,376,334,L,80
http://search.archives.tas.gov.au/ImageViewer/image_viewer.htm?CON18-1-10,252,246,L,80

Second description record (CON23/1/3) is at W977 to 1005 after you click on "view this record online"

Debra  :D

Offline 999WOODBURN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 11 December 11 15:03 GMT (UK) »
Ahh..... Thank you so much.

This is new information to me.

Australian Royalty as Jack Thompson would say.

So to summarize, in the 1843 census, William describes himself as an "other free person" and Elizabeth is described as having arrived in the colony as a free settler. By 1843, their family should have consisted of 4 or 5 children; 2 from Elizabeth's first marriage to Edward Thomas and 2 or 3 from her second "marriage" to William (Hannah was born in 1843, so may or may not have been around at the time).

Still puzzling that the marriage of William and Elizabeth appears not to have occurred until 1869.

On another matter, does this 1843 census information have anything about my other Tasmanian mystery, Thomas Howell and Margaret Wallace? This is the subject of another topic, so I will post the same query over there.

Brendan

Offline 999WOODBURN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 11 December 11 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Whoops....sorry about that.

The 1843 census is much too early for Thomas Howell and Margaret Wallace of Port Sorell. They started having children around 1867.

Brendan

Offline 999WOODBURN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 11 December 11 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Further to the above, I have found this entry from a passenger list for the Princess Royal arrived Hobart 6 Sep 1832. This would seem to be someone too old to be our Elizabeth...

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~austas/princeroyal.htm

TAILOR Elizabeth  30  From the London Female Penitentiary, Pentonville

If we believe her age as 51 on her belated marriage to William Woodward in 1869, then her year of birth is around 1818.

Brendan

Offline wotsabwe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 05 March 12 05:26 GMT (UK) »
Have been looking at your exchanges about Elizabeth Taylor and might have some new information about her first husband, Edward Thomas.
Edward was born in Birmingham in 1804 and at the age of 17 was convicted at the Stafford Assizes on 15 March 1821 to transportation for life.
He came to Tasmania (Van Diemens Land, then) aboard the ship Claudine which left Woolwich 20 August 1821 and arrived Derwent (Captain John Crabtree) 15 December 1821.
He was described as being a Silver Plate and Wire worker, height 5ft 5-1/4 inches tall with hazel eyes and brown hair. On arrival he was placed in employment with a Benjamin Jones.
So, he'd been in the colony for 13 years by the time he married Elizabeth. Seems to have been a bit of a cradle snatcher ;=}
Cheers
Ted
Have now found that this is incorrect. This person was still living after the death of the correct Edward Thomas.  Sorry for false information.
cheers
Ted

Offline shellyhope

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth TAYLOR - Born 18-Dec-1819 Launceston, Tasmania
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 06:49 BST (UK) »
I've been reading this thread with interest as i can also trace my family back to Elizabeth Taylor. I'm descendent from Charles Edward Thomas from her 1st marriage.
My best guess based on information i have seen is that Edward Thomas was the convict that arrived on Claudine and he died 1837 (his death certificate says he has a ticket of leave and his age are consistent with this convict). I did explore the other Edward Thomas possibilities, but they dont seem to fit with the information available. If anyone has further information to disprove this i would be very interested in it.

Shelly

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 07:28 BST (UK) »
Edward's conduct record certainly has no entries after July 1837, however I am surprised that if he did die there is no notation of this.  The final word seems to be "Run" as in absconded.

http://search.archives.tas.gov.au/ImageViewer/image_viewer.htm?CON31-1-42,190,62,L,80

There is also no permission to marry appearing on the indexes, but I do know that they are not complete.  Have you seen the entry from the church register, and does it say that they were married with permission of the Governor?

Debra  :)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 07:40 BST (UK) »
The only other Edward THOMAS who was transported prior to 1837 was this one, and his record extends to at least 1847

http://search.archives.tas.gov.au/ImageViewer/image_viewer.htm?CON31-1-42,190,73,L,80

Debra  :)